Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 19" CRT Monitor Recommendations  (Read 1552 times)

Description:

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
Re: 19" CRT Monitor Recommendations
« Reply #14 from previous page: September 15, 2003, 03:05:06 AM »
I recommend Sony Trinitron.
They have probably the clearest images.
Also Mitsubishi Diamondtron are good.

That technology is probably the best you will ever find in CRT's. That is probably what I will use for my pegasos in the near future.

Offline csirac_

• Show only replies by csirac_
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2003, 03:44:25 AM »
Liyama are renowned for their quality, not price. If it's in your price range, go for it :-)

My own experience with 19":

A friend of mine bought an NEC about 3 years ago. He's had nothing but trouble, and warranty dept. has just kept fobbing him off. It distorts verticle lines like crazy, with ghosting that comes and goes. They just don't want to fix it. Of course now the warranty has lapsed there isn't much he can do (he payed for the extended warranty [12 months to 3 years] and it started fail after about 18 months - after blaming his video card, PSU, etc. they said something to the effect of "it kinda works, so considering it's more than 12 months, we don't care".

I bought a HITACHI CM721F - it's terrific value, I believe. I got mine for $500 AUD, has 0.20 dot pitch, and I run in 1600x1200 full time. The clarity is amazing. Another friend of mine has a 19" Sony - he sent back his first one as it had some dead pixels (3). His second one he is pleased with, but at twice the price of mine.... I don't think I would have got it. It has a better refresh rate at 1600x1200 but I still think mine has a sharper picture. His OSD has more geometry settings than mine too, but I haven't needed anything more than what I've got.

I'm certainly pleased the quality of my monitor for the price I paid. Remember: the whole point of a 19" CRT is running in 1600x1200... the budget ones don't really give a practical refresh/sharpness at that res (though they are getting better) so you have to drop back to 1280x1024, at which point you may as well get a mid-priced 17" that also does that resolution.

Of course, all manufacturers can make 1off lemons, but at least with the Sony it was replaced promptly. Then again, an NEC service center in a different country may be more helpful than the one here in Brisbane :-)

- Paul

Offline CalenTopic starter

• Show only replies by Calen
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2003, 03:44:54 PM »
Ok i made my choice and went with Iiyama Vision Master Pro 455 (Diamondtron tube) which i ordered new for 166.00 inc vat, excluding delivery. I think i got a good deal here.

I want to thank you all for your feedback, most of the monitors you all listed, eg: Sony, Mitsubishi, Viewsonic, LG i have looked at but there top end lovely models where just alittle expensive but good monitors none the less.  I've been getting nothing but good reports about most of the Iiyama models which fitted the bill perfect.

To the guy who got deleted with his LCD recommendations, (you must have missed my listed Budget)  in my own view there has never been a better time to get a good spec CRT monitor mainly because of the price drop as LCD's are starting to become more common.
For me to get one to equal the spec of a good CRT 19" monitor i would at least be doubling my budget post, way out of my league.  but who knows, maybe in 3/5 years when the tech and prices have matured, then it may become more realistic ;-) untill then, LCD's really have no interest with me.

Cheers all :-) :pint: