Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New AROS bounties  (Read 4837 times)

Description:

Offline Einstein

• Show all replies
Re: New AROS bounties
« on: January 22, 2008, 12:09:56 AM »
Hi HenryCase!

What these bounties should be I don't know. Can someone here tell us which low level sections of AROS need most work?

Resource managers (for resource tracking), including memory manager (for memory tracking and protection).

Result: criminal tasks, instead of the OS, will experience their afterlife. :-)
I have spoken !

Offline Einstein

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 01:37:56 AM »

HenryCase wrote:

Hi Einstein! :-)

Yep, they sound suitably important for a bounty. Apart from memory what other resources would need managers?

Anything that is a resource has it's manager, e.g: memory (Exec), message ports (Exec), windows (Intuition), Zune/MUI objects (Zune/MUI, this includes BOOPSI too), AROS' Traveller/Cairo and beyond (Robert Norris / fce2) :lol: and alot more..

Also, doesn't the x86-64 version of AROS already have partial memory protection? If so, is there any reason why this can't be applied to the other versions of AROS fairly quickly?

Difference between partial mp (A) and full mp (B) is like being attacked by a samurai when one carries a shield (A) and when one sits in a tank (B). :-D
Partial mp is just a retrofit mp, with full mp huge portion of the API needs modification/rewrite, that's why it takes time.
As for AROS32, i don't know if that will be supported for enhancements, it's up to the devs.
I have spoken !

Offline Einstein

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 01:52:35 AM »

bloodline wrote:

Einstein wrote:

Also, doesn't the x86-64 version of AROS already have partial memory protection? If so, is there any reason why this can't be applied to the other versions of AROS fairly quickly?

Difference between partial mp (A) and full mp (B) is like being attacked by a samurai when one carries a shield (A) and when one sits in a tank (B). :-D
Partial mp is just a retrofit mp, with full mp huge portion of the API needs modification/rewrite, that's why it takes time.
As for AROS32, i don't know if that will be supported for enhancements, it's up to the devs.

I'm pretty sure that any enhancements that can be brought in from AROS64 into the other ports will be. x86 is currently being finalised for ABI V1 by the workaholic Staf, I expect him, Robert and Michal will sort something out before ABI V1 is finished... and there are bunch of guys working on the PPC port, which is nowhere near a finalised ABI (but also has Michal Shulz working on it) so plenty of time for it to be improved.

:-)

Well something tells me it would take time anyway  :-P
I have spoken !

Offline Einstein

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 02:03:28 AM »
@HenryCase

Do you mean to say these resource managers don't exist yet or that they need a makeover?

A makeover.

I see. Well in that case I'd prefer if we had full MP (sounds like were playing a FF game!) on one distro before work was done to port it to all of them, but as you said it's up to the devs.[/quote]

Or up to the bounty cash  :-)
I have spoken !

Offline Einstein

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 11:48:03 PM »

HenryCase wrote:

I see. Well, if it makes AROS more stable then I'm all for it (not that I'm saying it isn't stable now you understand!).

I understand, but the samurai..  :evilgrin:
I have spoken !