Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: sad news  (Read 603 times)

Description:

Offline IdealTopic starter

• Show only replies by Ideal
sad news
« on: December 08, 2006, 06:14:08 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, so if not I guess you can delete it.

Something happened the other day which made me really, really sad.
I usually go to get my hair cut at the same place.
There was like this old biker hippie type guy running it, he was a tall skinny grey-haired type with a pony tail.
He always seemed a little tired, but I didn't think so much of it.
He would have his motorbike parked outside, and in the salon he had like pictures of bikes, and a couple of pictures of celebrities he'd met, and some typical hippie-oriented stuff, posters with weird colors, strange artifacts and stuff like that.

He claimed that he had custom'ed his bike when he was living in the US. He also had like a diploma from some kind of hairdressing school in California, dated mid-70s I think.

Anyway, I don't have so much hair left, I'm balding quickly now, so for me it's not so important how it gets cut, but he was a pleasant guy to chat with and so I wound up going there most of the time.

But sometimes things change and you don't have time, or you go somewhere else for a while. And his shop was closed for a long time.

But in the summer now, it was open again and I got my hair cut again.
The guy tells me he had a heart-transplant.
He seemed to be very tired, and on strong medication because he was a little "dulled" if you get the idea.
Took quite some time to answer questions and stuff.
His bike was for sale outside, and a few weeks later he had apparantly sold it the next time I was by there.

This is near a park, and often they'd have music there when the weather is nice.
So the guy asks me, while he is cutting my hair, "do you hear drums? Or is it just in my head?"
I thought that was quite funny.

Anyway, I went there again on tuesday.
The shop was closed. All dark inside. He'd taken down some of the stuff apparantly.
Said a phone number on a note, so I rang.
The guy tells me he was closed for good, sounded real tired and very ill. I wished him well, and told him this was sad news.

I like originality, I appreciate oddness, friendly one-person businesses run by strange Haynie-like people.

So for me, this was very, very sad.

Offline Wilse

Re: sad news
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 06:51:45 PM »
I like originality, I appreciate oddness,

Likewise.

Sorry to hear your sad news.