Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: *WARNING* Let's port OS4 to $machine type thread  (Read 3701 times)

Description:

Offline coldfish

• Show all replies
Re: *WARNING* Let's port OS4 to $machine type thread
« on: September 14, 2006, 09:48:43 AM »
Very original.  :-P

Xbox360 uses PPC and ATI tech too.

Then there's pre core-duo Apples, mac-mini ect...

...and the Gamecube (though not really ATi).

Seriously, I think if OS4 ever finds a hardware home, it'll be on some obscure, far-east, embedded system manufacturer's board.

Offline coldfish

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 11:10:25 AM »
Hmm, defensive.  That comment was tongue-in-cheek, hence the smiley.  Oh well here we go;

I cant see Nintendo "falling over themselves" to take OS4 either.  If they wanted an OS on their console, they'd roll thier own (and it would be "better-er" than ugly ole' OS4).  

Besides, Wii is all about games, moreso than 360 or PS3, Nintendo dont want a general purpose machine at all, they want a games console first and foremost, and that is what Wii will be.  Stick with the obscure yum-cha far-east embedded-PPC motherboard manufacturers who will accept orders in the 10s or 100s and dont care what you do with them.

My avatar is tired of people pinning unrealistic/bizarre/naive hopes on multinational companies that dont even know or care that Amiga still exists (such as it is).  He doesnt like a coppa-tea, but he wouldnt mind a, DRINK!  :-)

Offline coldfish

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 04:48:50 AM »
I dont think OS4 or 5 needs to be that innovative, its target audiece isnt going to reach much beyond current AmigaOS users anyway.  
Sure, it may get a few "once were" Amiga users coming back to it, but it's not going to lure XP/Vista/OSX/Linux users away from what they're already familiar with even if its fantastic.

Its pointless trying to market a closed-OS stuck to proprietary hardware, to the masses in 2006.  It was pointless six years ago, someone probably shouldve said something back then?

If people want to try alternatives they can get FREE Live-CD's mailed to them or even splurge on a nice core-duo Mac and dual-boot Windows.

What does OS4 offer that isnt already covered by a free linux distro, other than something for current-Amiga-users to go on with?  If that's Ainc's sole market, then it's long past time for a rethink.