Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 060 or PPC  (Read 3118 times)

Description:

Offline JLF65

• Show all replies
Re: 060 or PPC
« on: February 25, 2006, 04:49:46 AM »

Piru wrote:
Or don't wait, but use free PowerUP MorphOS.

Problems - not free (it only works for 2 hours until you pay), and no AGA support.

Offline JLF65

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 11:30:58 PM »

Lando wrote:
That's not true at all - registration is completely free.  There is nothing to pay.  That's why it is called 'MorphOS Free Edition'

If you use it, and like it, then there is a button on the web page to make a Paypal donation to the developers but it's up to you whether you do that.

Ah, I was under the impression registering MorphOS wasn't free. Thanks for clearing that up.

AGA support?  If you've got a PPC card but you're still using AGA then you've got your priorities mixed up.  AGA is getting on for 15 years old and slows down terribly in anything over 32 colours even in low resolutions.

I'd rather not spend $500 trying to get a $50 PC video card working on my A1200. I either have to spend almost $300 for a BVisionPPC (when you can find one at all) and another $150 or so on a tower case, or about $400 for a tower case and a PCI expansion to use a cheap PCI video card. Neither is appealing at all.

The page does say it works with the CV64/3D. I have one in my A4000. The problem there is the A4000 has a developer PPC in it, not the CyberStormPPC. I think I'll go ahead of get the new MorphOS release and check if it works with the developer PPC card.

Offline JLF65

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 10:15:02 PM »

mdma wrote:

Piru wrote:
ExecSG + Petunia JIT from OS4 beta, emulates OS3.9 faster than a 25MHz 040 runs it natively on a BPPC 200MHz.

I really would recommend waiting for OS4 BPPC rather than buying an 060.

Or don't wait, but use free PowerUP MorphOS.

It has Trance JIT engine which is even faster (moderate 603 runs faster than 060).

Give me Mediator support please! :-(

And Prometheus support.  :-D