Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Attacking my first idea as a scam...  (Read 8437 times)

Description:

Offline Boot_WB

• Show all replies
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
Re: Attacking my first idea as a scam...
« on: May 12, 2014, 01:03:17 PM »
@Duce

+1 billion

@Atheist (I mean AmigaClassicRule)

For a moment consider, had you reached your funding target, what would you do next?

What is the detailed plan? what are the costs? what challenges are to be faced? which competent people do you have on board who have the necessary skills to take this vague concept and turn it into a reality?

That's why it's been labelled as a scam: You're asking other people to donate their money to your "project" with absolutely no idea how to manage that pot of other people's money effectively in order to create a product.

You may not be deliberately trying to profit from it yourself, but you clearly do not have any clue as to how to proceed even if you did get the money. You do not have the competencies required to do what you propose, yet you are asking people for money.

If not deliberate scam, then this is at least the equivalent of a dodgy quote from a cowboy builder.
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)

Offline Boot_WB

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 03:40:24 AM »
Quote from: agami;764406
Technically, RAID is an acronym representing four words.
But I do agree, anything worthwhile should be stored on RAID.

Why? Even with a striped array of identical disks which provide for recovery after a hard drive failure through striping checksum bits (and therefore sacrificing (1/no of disks) total capacity) its main advantage is in speed. If a second one goes whilst the RAID is rebuilding, say goodbye to the lot.
Practical for a server in a busy office, not really for home implementation. And most offices will have nightly tape backups stored offsite in case of disaster anyway.

Anything worthwhile should just be backed up in multiple locations. Most peoples' 6TB of vital data is 5TB of ripped video/audio (replaceable, if annoying to lose), 0.9TB of pictures, and 0.1TB of documents.
If it's that important, prioritise the irreplaceable, and back it up regularly.
Swap a hard drive every month with a friend so you both have safe storage in case of disaster, or set up a regular mirrorcopy to cloud storage. Chances are you won't change most of your important stuff very often, so once uploaded bandwith usage will be minimal.

Offline Boot_WB

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 01:54:04 PM »
Quote from: agami;764416
That's why there is RAID 6

Not looked into RAID 6*, used to have a 7-disk SAS RAID5 setup though - blazing fast, a pretty lightshow (as each drive had an activity LED), but damn noisy: not something you want in your bedroom. :)

* Oooh, field theory. I'll bookmark that and stretch my maths muscles with an in-depth read one night.

You're assuming people have a friend they are prepared to share their pr0n collection with ;)

Kryptos :D

Seriously though. I don't have unlimited bandwidth, and my upload is extremely slow. I have over 1000 movies and 50+ TV shows with multiples of seasons each. I'd hate to think of re-downloading all of that. That's why it's on a Synology NAS with RAID 5. Yes, a double disk failure would be the end of that, but the odds of a double disk failure occurring are far less than a single disk failure.

True, but the chances of a single disk failure + block errors on a remaining disk are much higher.

My brother is in a similar position - approx 20TB of (mainly video) data, with no obvious way of backing it up regularly. We've looked at possible RAID solutions for disk redundancy, but most are cost prohibitive compared to the benefit (ie not protecting against fire/burglary/multiple disk failure due to power surge).
In his case, he probably has less than 10GB of irreplaceable data - the rest is multimedia. Taking periodic backups (of the media files) offsite is probably the only feasible solution in his case, meaning a complete duplication of storage capacity.

Sigh. I remember when I has a 80MB IBM 2.5" hard disk in my A1200, and wondered what I'd do with all that space.