Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Attacking my first idea as a scam...  (Read 8438 times)

Description:

Offline spirantho

Re: Attacking my first idea as a scam...
« on: May 12, 2014, 01:20:08 PM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;764278
The computer have the 6502 CPU in it and it allows you to play MSX, C64, Apple II, and NES games all in one shot. There will be VIC II, SID and all the other chips in it.

Forgetting for a moment the massive complexity of putting all the chips in one box, where will you get these VIC-II and SID chips from?

I can see what you're trying to do, but honestly - there is so much more you need to know before you can even start thinking about this.

Start from the bottom and go upwards - don't start with massive expectations and cut back.
Begin with a low-cost, simple platform which just does one thing. Then add features until done. In other words: walk before you try to run. At the moment you're trying to do a full Irish Riverdance before you've learned how to toddle.

Hasn't this already been done by other consoles anyway? I'm sure there's at least one cartridge-loading console which uses FPGAs and software emulation for everything (the only practical way of doing it).

I'm not trying to unduly criticise you - I know you're not a scammer and have genuine interests at heart, but you'd be well advised to thoroughly study how a computer works before trying to make a new one.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline spirantho

Re: Attacking my first idea as a scam...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 04:54:22 PM »
Quote from: carls;764367
Apart from all the other question marks raised by this, I'm curious as to where you'll find all the custom chips needed. There's not exactly a cheap Chinese production line on standby for manufacturing SID and VIC chips. If you want to buy up and slaughter old consoles and computers for spares, you'll hardly become popular in the communities and besides, these machines are getting increasingly scarce.

I'm afraid going into retro hardware is hardly a place for get-rich-quick-schemes. Most people doing advanced hardware stuff like this are driven out of a passion for a certain platform and I'd be surprised if you could find more than two or three persons world-wide who've managed to earn a living from it for any substantial amout of time.

For the record, I have spent much of the last year purchasing stock from China (which is still a happy hunting ground for old chips - IF you can find the decent sellers) for my repair service.
After a great deal of time and money (measured in the thousands of dollars) I have a total of 51 SID chips that fully work, about 50 C64 CPUs, 50 C64 CIAs, 10 VIC-II, about 20 8501 CPUs (C16/+4), 20 or so 8360 TEDs (also C16/+4), and various other chips such as old RAM chips, MC6845 CRT controllers, that sort of thing. I have 8 PAL VIC I chips (for the VIC-20) with another 50 on the way, and 9 NTSC VIC I chips.

I can tell you now the chances of getting a regular supplier of these chips is zero.
Mostly because I've bought most of them. :) Even the ones I found though have had quantities of about 50 pieces maximum - nowhere near enough for a full production run of a console using them.

Note: In case anyone's worried about me stopping anyone else from buying them by buying them all, remember these Chinese places have a minimum order quantity in the hundreds of dollars, charge about $50 shipping (courier) and often don't take PayPal... and of course many of them are scammers who don't actually have any chips but just take your money and run.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!