Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Attacking my first idea as a scam...  (Read 8204 times)

Description:

Offline NovaCoder

Re: Attacking my first idea as a scam...
« Reply #29 from previous page: May 13, 2014, 05:54:49 AM »
Quote from: IanP;764307
And yet only the Armiga has bothered to include a floppy drive on their proposed new Classic Amiga. All the FPGA based ones have ignored floppys and gone with flash storage devices only. That's because you don't have to be a masochist to like old computers, if there's a way to make the "old computer" better then why not do it. Hard drives and optical drives are getting rarer as flash storage gets cheaper and the cloud looms larger.

I agree, I love my A1200 but the best thing about it is using WHDLOAD to play games (my floppy drive doesn't get much use!)
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline donpalmera

• Show only replies by donpalmera
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2014, 06:25:59 AM »
"I had a brain fart, I mean an *idea*, I have no idea how to implement said idea or how much it would cost but give me some money"

Seems like a scam to me.

Offline carls

• Show only replies by carls
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2014, 01:46:26 PM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;764278
I want to develop a complete 8-bit system that have a sexy keyboard case just like an A500, C64c or MSX Wavy. This computer however is different in that it have two cartridge slot and the slot inside of it allows you to hook up an MSX game or NES game and you can play either NES or MSX games into this computer. The computer have the 6502 CPU in it and it allows you to play MSX, C64, Apple II, and NES games all in one shot. There will be VIC II, SID and all the other chips in it. I also realized that MSX, C64 and Apple II all use BASIC as a programming language.

Apart from all the other question marks raised by this, I'm curious as to where you'll find all the custom chips needed. There's not exactly a cheap Chinese production line on standby for manufacturing SID and VIC chips. If you want to buy up and slaughter old consoles and computers for spares, you'll hardly become popular in the communities and besides, these machines are getting increasingly scarce.

I'm afraid going into retro hardware is hardly a place for get-rich-quick-schemes. Most people doing advanced hardware stuff like this are driven out of a passion for a certain platform and I'd be surprised if you could find more than two or three persons world-wide who've managed to earn a living from it for any substantial amout of time.
Amiga: Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Offline spirantho

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2014, 04:54:22 PM »
Quote from: carls;764367
Apart from all the other question marks raised by this, I'm curious as to where you'll find all the custom chips needed. There's not exactly a cheap Chinese production line on standby for manufacturing SID and VIC chips. If you want to buy up and slaughter old consoles and computers for spares, you'll hardly become popular in the communities and besides, these machines are getting increasingly scarce.

I'm afraid going into retro hardware is hardly a place for get-rich-quick-schemes. Most people doing advanced hardware stuff like this are driven out of a passion for a certain platform and I'd be surprised if you could find more than two or three persons world-wide who've managed to earn a living from it for any substantial amout of time.

For the record, I have spent much of the last year purchasing stock from China (which is still a happy hunting ground for old chips - IF you can find the decent sellers) for my repair service.
After a great deal of time and money (measured in the thousands of dollars) I have a total of 51 SID chips that fully work, about 50 C64 CPUs, 50 C64 CIAs, 10 VIC-II, about 20 8501 CPUs (C16/+4), 20 or so 8360 TEDs (also C16/+4), and various other chips such as old RAM chips, MC6845 CRT controllers, that sort of thing. I have 8 PAL VIC I chips (for the VIC-20) with another 50 on the way, and 9 NTSC VIC I chips.

I can tell you now the chances of getting a regular supplier of these chips is zero.
Mostly because I've bought most of them. :) Even the ones I found though have had quantities of about 50 pieces maximum - nowhere near enough for a full production run of a console using them.

Note: In case anyone's worried about me stopping anyone else from buying them by buying them all, remember these Chinese places have a minimum order quantity in the hundreds of dollars, charge about $50 shipping (courier) and often don't take PayPal... and of course many of them are scammers who don't actually have any chips but just take your money and run.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2014, 05:20:57 PM »
@Spirantho

LOL

You have now a monopoly on C64 parts :-)

@Thread

I do not know why someone wants funding for a 8-bit computer on a amiga forum?

@AmigaClassicRule

The 8bit computer were very different at that time (C64 had best capabilities in regards to gaming). Programmer at that time discovered a lot of tricks to get the most of the hardware (in many cases undocumented). I remember FLI making it possible to have more than 16 colors on C64, developer used RasterInterrupts to show many sprites, programmer used undocumented processor commands (a problem when new accellerators were created) and so on. Hardware like FPGA Arcade uses different Cores for the different systems because of that. Combining different systems in one core is totally impossible.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 05:23:21 PM by OlafS3 »

Offline wrath of khan

• Show only replies by wrath of khan
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2014, 12:42:05 AM »

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2014, 01:55:23 AM »
Unless Athiest is also Foody, then it's not Athiest.

In regards to optical media, it's demise is somewhat exaggerated.
Personally I have 6TB (2*3) of non system specific data (video, emu games, pdf docs, etc.). If either of these drives died Id be gutted at the volume of data lost, so I backup new content to bluray from time to time. This isnt practical any other way. Not to mention its cheaper to buy original discs than it is to download a 40gig movie (size of typical 1080p 3d rip of decent quality).
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2014, 02:10:24 AM »
It is him. Google his name.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2014, 02:19:54 AM »
@fishy_fiz

One word - RAID
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline agami

• Show only replies by agami
    • Twitter
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2014, 02:44:34 AM »
Technically, RAID is an acronym representing four words.
But I do agree, anything worthwhile should be stored on RAID.
---------------AGA Collection---------------
1) Amiga A4000 040 40MHz, Mediator PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Creative PCI128, Fast Ethernet, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
2) Amiga A1200 040 25MHz, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, IDEfix, PCMCIA WiFi, slim slot load DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
3) Amiga CD32 + SX1, OS 3.1

Offline agami

• Twitter
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2014, 03:32:03 AM »
@AmigaClassicRule

Didn't think you were a scammer, just that your idea was very one dimensional. All you had to do is look at a hardware project on Kickstarter to see how crowd funding works.
When you ask people to pledge money for a hardware or software project on a crowd funding site you are crossing the boundaries of social norms over to commercial norms. This generally results in donations being secondary.

As many of the others have mentioned in this thread, if you are simply looking for donations then you should show how much of the work you have done yourself, in terms of hardware engineering or code, then put a PayPal Donate link on your site for people to donate money for you to continue the work.

For some reason you see this forum as "The Dragon's Den" where you might catch the attention of a venture capitalist with a "back of a napkin" idea.

Hate to break it to you kid, I'm assuming you're a kid because of the level of depth you go into with your ideas, these days ideas alone aren't enough, and they haven't been enough for a long time. The person who just has the cool idea is the one that is disregarded the earliest. Hell, it's not even worth a finders fee.

Execution is everything.

So when you do have your next idea consider what is the problem you are solving.
Once you identify the problem try and put a price on the problem, i.e. What is it costing people by not fixing the problem, or what are people currently paying to solve the problem. Don't forget, time=money.
Then do some research in components and labour costs for building your idea and then see if you can solve the problem at a lower cost.
You don't have to be a hardware or software engineer yourself, though it helps to have an understanding of what these disciplines entail, but you should at the very least have the ability to source information and put it together.
Then you can bring all that info to people via a crowd funding site. People want to see that you have done your research and that there is a decent chance that you can execute the idea.

Best of luck to you.
1) Amiga A4000 040 40MHz, Mediator PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Creative PCI128, Fast Ethernet, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2
2) Amiga A1200 040 25MHz, Indivision AGA Mk2 CR, IDEfix, PCMCIA WiFi, slim slot load DVD/CD-RW, OS 3.9 BB2

Offline Boot_WB

• Show only replies by Boot_WB
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2014, 03:40:24 AM »
Quote from: agami;764406
Technically, RAID is an acronym representing four words.
But I do agree, anything worthwhile should be stored on RAID.

Why? Even with a striped array of identical disks which provide for recovery after a hard drive failure through striping checksum bits (and therefore sacrificing (1/no of disks) total capacity) its main advantage is in speed. If a second one goes whilst the RAID is rebuilding, say goodbye to the lot.
Practical for a server in a busy office, not really for home implementation. And most offices will have nightly tape backups stored offsite in case of disaster anyway.

Anything worthwhile should just be backed up in multiple locations. Most peoples' 6TB of vital data is 5TB of ripped video/audio (replaceable, if annoying to lose), 0.9TB of pictures, and 0.1TB of documents.
If it's that important, prioritise the irreplaceable, and back it up regularly.
Swap a hard drive every month with a friend so you both have safe storage in case of disaster, or set up a regular mirrorcopy to cloud storage. Chances are you won't change most of your important stuff very often, so once uploaded bandwith usage will be minimal.
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2014, 04:06:23 AM »
I dont disagree about raid being a good idea at times, but for my setup, not to mention theyre usb drives makes it not an option for me. Two of my main machines are an i5 laptop, and an a64 x2 laptop I use for AROS. Apart from that I have an i7 system I use as an entertainment centre/gaming rig (connected to av amp and main tv, etc.). Add my AROS desktop system, my amithlon box and my a1200 and Im pretty well out of room for computers, none of them really suited to a raid system.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 04:11:49 AM by fishy_fiz »
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline agami

• Twitter
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2014, 05:28:44 AM »
A few issues with your view

Quote from: Boot_WB;764411
If a second one goes whilst the RAID is rebuilding, say goodbye to the lot.

That's why there is RAID 6

Practical for a server in a busy office, not really for home implementation.

Home NAS appliances have been amongst the highest and fastest selling products in 2013.

Anything worthwhile should just be backed up in multiple locations. ...
If it's that important, prioritise the irreplaceable, and back it up regularly.

Yep. Information Architecture 101. Mission critical and business critical information should be backed up prolifically and often.

Swap a hard drive every month with a friend ...

You're assuming people have a friend they are prepared to share their pr0n collection with ;)

Seriously though. I don't have unlimited bandwidth, and my upload is extremely slow. I have over 1000 movies and 50+ TV shows with multiples of seasons each. I'd hate to think of re-downloading all of that. That's why it's on a Synology NAS with RAID 5. Yes, a double disk failure would be the end of that, but the odds of a double disk failure occurring are far less than a single disk failure.

I recently copied all of my movies and TV shows for my sister onto her own Synology NAS so now at least I don't have to download those again.

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2014, 01:51:19 PM »
needs more phone jacks!
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline Boot_WB

• Show only replies by Boot_WB
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2014, 01:54:04 PM »
Quote from: agami;764416
That's why there is RAID 6

Not looked into RAID 6*, used to have a 7-disk SAS RAID5 setup though - blazing fast, a pretty lightshow (as each drive had an activity LED), but damn noisy: not something you want in your bedroom. :)

* Oooh, field theory. I'll bookmark that and stretch my maths muscles with an in-depth read one night.

You're assuming people have a friend they are prepared to share their pr0n collection with ;)

Kryptos :D

Seriously though. I don't have unlimited bandwidth, and my upload is extremely slow. I have over 1000 movies and 50+ TV shows with multiples of seasons each. I'd hate to think of re-downloading all of that. That's why it's on a Synology NAS with RAID 5. Yes, a double disk failure would be the end of that, but the odds of a double disk failure occurring are far less than a single disk failure.

True, but the chances of a single disk failure + block errors on a remaining disk are much higher.

My brother is in a similar position - approx 20TB of (mainly video) data, with no obvious way of backing it up regularly. We've looked at possible RAID solutions for disk redundancy, but most are cost prohibitive compared to the benefit (ie not protecting against fire/burglary/multiple disk failure due to power surge).
In his case, he probably has less than 10GB of irreplaceable data - the rest is multimedia. Taking periodic backups (of the media files) offsite is probably the only feasible solution in his case, meaning a complete duplication of storage capacity.

Sigh. I remember when I has a 80MB IBM 2.5" hard disk in my A1200, and wondered what I'd do with all that space.
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)