Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New (?) Mini mac pics  (Read 10557 times)

Description:

Offline 1337DOG

• Show all replies
Re: Warrantee/Adding RAM
« on: January 12, 2005, 08:20:31 AM »
Just to clear something up about the Warrantee question:

I called Apple today. I talked to a manager and he says Apple's "official position" with memory installation with the Mini is if you break the computer while installing the memory you aren't warrantee covered, but just putting memory in will not, in itself, void the warrantee. Also any authorized service provider or Apple Store could install your 3rd party RAM for you for a price.

How about a Beowulf cluster of these little babies. :-)

Offline 1337DOG

• Show all replies
? How you and your Amiga will benifit.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 09:07:40 AM »
The Mini is just the beginning.

Apple will move to the next level and take a role similar to that of Sony. Just like Pixar is the new Disney, Apple will out-Sony Sony. MS is not the target but it will finally have serious competition.

The Mini's specs aren't all that hot but with a half gig of RAM it will run fantastic. A cheap could be had for cheaper from a PC vendor but it would always be just another scrappy system with low quality mobo, integrated graphics and a 500Mb RAM limit. Yes you could build your own decent PC, and you will, but millions won't want to. On the software side there would be no comparison to the shear number of high quality applications you get with the Mac. Many Windows users are looking for greener pastures and Mac OS X is a delight. Many just want to hook thier relatives up with something that won't require so many tech support calls. I've been checking many PC Tech boards for reaction on this. The response is often "no more recommending Dell".

You Amigans should be happy about this for more reasons than one. Because by solidifying an alternative platform you not only have one more non MS choice but also platform dependencies in things like the Web and file formats will be kept to a minimum allowing the future entry of further alternative platforms.

P.S. The RAM is user upgradable standard RAM you would would buy for a PC. You do not void the warrantee by successfully adding RAM yourself. It will work with either an LCD, a CRT or your Telly, but only one display at a time. Apple has a long time reputation for quality products and responsive customer service. A 1.2GHz G4 is plenty fast, even with the next version of OS X. The best reason not to buy is to wait for Tiger to come out so you get that free too - it would be wrong to just copy it from a mate just because Apple doesn't include any copy protection.

Offline 1337DOG

• Show all replies
Re: ? How you and your Amiga will benifit.
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 10:08:28 AM »
@Hammer

How much more will you need to actually get that 470$ PC to equal AppleWorks suite. AppleWorks is a world ahead of MS Works and it will open/save MS Word files. How about iLife; iMovie, iPhoto, iDVD, iTunes, Garage Band? Many of these have no equivalent on a PC bundle and would cost a dearly to replace.

Without OS X, among other niceties, you would lack Zero config networking (including wireless), a good bluetooth implementation, The most advanced OS level display system and system security.

Offline 1337DOG

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 10:49:40 AM »
@Hammer

Refer to "Universal PnP".

Is that the message Windows gives you when you try to connect to a wireless network the first time? :-D

I know Windows XP is not bad but in many ways Mac OS X is better. This Mini thing is not meant to sell to someone who is satisfied with MS.

This is a $500+ iMovie studio or Final Cut studio or something to write a Word document on, surf the net, open email attachments free of concerns.

Offline 1337DOG

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 11:01:12 AM »
by Hammer on 2005/1/13 4:56:08

UPnP supports zero-configuration networking and automatic discovery.

But does it "Just Work"? Have you tried it?

Offline 1337DOG

• Show all replies
Re: New (?) Mini mac pics
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2005, 02:50:45 AM »
Right this minute I'm downloading some indie music on LimeWire through cable internet, playing 160kbps MP3s with software equalize and sound enhancement turned all the way up through a high end home system, burning a VideoCD through Toast, and surfing the net with dual displays (extended desktop) all at the same time. Not uncommon maybe but I'm on a 4 your old 400Mhz PowerBook with 8mb video card, OS X 10.3 (Panther) with all of 384Mb RAM with all eye candy turned on. Reminds me of the good ol days on my A500.

/ A happy camper. :-)

How to crack a Mini: Video on this site (Click)

Mini undergoing exploratory surgery Here