Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Minimig cores available  (Read 22052 times)

Description:

Offline whiteb

• Show all replies
Re: New Minimig cores available
« on: September 07, 2008, 04:00:24 PM »
how hard would it be to update the core/pic via menu and load the binary from sd card ?

Not possible.

The *ONLY* time that the PIC allows updates to be done, is *BEFORE* the chip executes the stored code, and the only way to update the stored code, is via the chip's "Program window", which is approximately 1 second after power on/reset.

You cannot program the chip, whilst it is executing a program.
A4000D - CSMKII//128MB/IDE CF/Indivision Scandoubler
A1200
A1000

(And now a Minimig) :>)

Offline whiteb

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 09:03:09 AM »
Hey Jakob/Yaqube.

I like the look of the daughter board for the Minimig, I am interested.  I only have around 1CM clearance from Pic socket to the housing, what is the minimum clearance needed for the board ?

So what are the benefits of the ARP MCU ?, faster, 32bit ? so will that be able to get us away from the 8.3 file names ?, maybe Fat32 ?

I am just hanging out for say two ADF support right now :)
A1200
A1000

Offline whiteb

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 10:18:30 AM »
The height of the adapter board is 5.75 mm without pin header. I have used low profile pin header which is 1.85 mm high but can't find a supplier of them.

Well, it seems then that with Pin Header at normal profile, it should fit the 1CM (10mm) that i have available.  Even with a standard 2.5mm pitch (I think thats the standard).  7.5mm for PCB and components, should fit.

Then again, it is not difficult to find longer spacer's to increase the gap.

Here in Australia, 2.5mm Headers are only 50 cents for 36 snap off SIL at Dick Smith Electronics.

But any way, Interesting stuff.  I am keenly watching this.
A1200
A1000

Offline whiteb

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 12:31:20 PM »
If the PIC18LF252-I/SP is not big enough to store future firmware, the PIC18LF2620-I/SP (64kb flash inside and pincompatible afa I can see) would be able to.

From what i understand, there is still around 10KB remaining on the PIC free to use.

I believe this board he is working on is for several things, USB connectivity to upgrade firmware's, instead of RS232, more storage (more code) and faster RISC CPU inside the PIC to execute the code.  

I would not mind CAPS/SPS image support, if they got off of their behind and supported the minimig with some fort of Library that can be incorporated into PIC.  But I suspect this would be too big for the current PIC, and where the new chip/board could come in to play.

He has already said that Multiple ADF support should fit in the existing PIC

Will this daughter board be necessary in the future for new pic firmware?

There could be TWO releases, Original PIC, and newer PIC.

The ORIGINAL PIC would have bug fixes and minor feature enhancements, and the NEWER PIC for advanced features.

The ORIGINAL Pic code is getting NEAR to perfect now, Add in Multiple ADF support and I think its just about there. (Unless there are more DMA bugs to fix).

If you are talking about HDF support and other stuff, then that is going to *REQUIRE* a pic upgrade
A1200
A1000

Offline whiteb

• Show all replies
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 05:58:18 PM »
No risk for the 68000 at 14MHz clock. Most Minimig 68k are designed for 16 or even 20MHz. This new chips are also powered at 3.3v and completely in static design.

I am using a 16 Mhz 68000 in my minimig, Dennis only clocked it to 7Mhz anyway.  Should run at 20 Mhz at least without even blinking.
A1200
A1000