Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Compact Flash card - how to format/partition and install WB?  (Read 11853 times)

Description:

Offline Thomas

Re: Compact Flash card - how to format/partition and install WB?
« Reply #14 from previous page: February 28, 2010, 01:20:18 PM »
Follow the second paragraph of this post: http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?p=545199#post545199

Offline Homer

• Show only replies by Homer
    • http://www.graingerweb.net
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 05:27:46 PM »
Hi RGB gamer,

Please note that you are getting advice from a guy that really can answer your questions. He can not help you if you don't answer his questions though :hammer: !
Let X = X
{(c) Laurie Anderson}

Offline RGB_gamerTopic starter

• Show only replies by RGB_gamer
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 05:11:31 AM »
Ok, I ran Winuae without the -disableharddrivesafetycheck option an loaded it up using the workbench install floppy. I then ran HDToolbox and made sure it said SCSI_DEVICE_NAME=uaehf.device

I was FINALLY able to get it to see my CF card. I was able to partition the disk drive, but even though it sees the full 4gb, I made two 250mb partitions (one for the workbench install which is DH0, the other for programs which is DH1), and then a 1900mb partition (DH2) and another with the rest DH3. I then rebooted workbench, and was able to see all the partitions except for DH3.

What is the largest size for a partition?

Offline rkauer

• Show only replies by rkauer
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2010, 05:32:28 AM »
Largest size is the size of the HD. But then you'll run into some problems:

- If accidentally you turn the Amiga off during a writing cycle (or if the computer freeze when writing something) you'll experience a validating period in the next boot. Expect to wait around 10 hours or more waiting for the Workbench shows up;:furious:

- Some programs count the available space, and they can't understand numbers over 2Gb in size (for those programs the value will become negative), so they crashes, or quit without warning;:furious:

- Even Workbench programs who mess with the HD will have those problems.:furious:

So the best answer is: keep partitions under 2Gb. 1.9Gb is perfect!
Goodbye people.

I\'ll pop on from time to time, RL is acting up.

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2010, 05:37:58 AM »
When I was partitioning the 4gb drive, like I stated before, d0 is 250mb, dh1 is 250mb, dh2 is 1900mb, and dh3 is the rest. After the partitioning was done, I rebooted workbench, and after that, dh3 didn't show up at all. So I ultimately just set up a 3gb+ partition as dh2.

Quote from: Thomas;545495

To copy all files from one partition to another open an AmigaDOS Shell window and enter

copy xxx:#? yyy: all clone

replace xxx by the name of the source drive and yyy by the destination drive.

So how do I do this in WinUAE? I load up an HDF to start with, and I want to copy the contents of the SYSTEM partition to my CF Card's WORKBENCH partition
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 07:30:08 AM by RGB_gamer »

Offline Thomas

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 07:42:48 AM »
There should be a Shell icon in the System drawer of your boot partition. Just run it to get the DOS window. Then enter the command.

For example

copy system:#? workbench: all clone

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2010, 07:53:59 AM »
Quote from: Thomas;545677
There should be a Shell icon in the System drawer of your boot partition. Just run it to get the DOS window. Then enter the command.

For example

copy system:#? workbench: all clone

Thanks for the tip! I got it to work and my CF boots up just like the HDF that a buddy of mine sent me. Now if I can just figure out WHDLoad....