Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ** attention lurkers **  (Read 3094 times)

Description:

Offline Robbie

• Show only replies by Robbie
    • http://uponthevoid.com
Re: ** attention lurkers **
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2017, 10:41:45 AM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;820066
Hope that doesn't turn out to be the case.  Forums are searchable and allow you to have a real conversation.  I can go back and reference a post from 10 years ago easily, if I need to.  Try doing that on Facebook.  ;)

I agree, at least for the moment  anyway. Forums have a lot to offer over Facebook. I was a member of the Amiga group on there and found myself wasting so much time scrolling through pictures of peoples various Amiga hoards.

I prefer the forums now, they have always been more useful.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2017, 10:46:48 AM »
@Magnetic

Hey, some of us idiots are still around you know. You are not safe just yet ;)
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2017, 04:21:28 PM »
Yep, I'm still here and I have my moments.
Heck, I even exchange messages with Franko every once in awhile (and he IS on facebook btw).

Come to think of it, if you want rude behavior...facebook is nimrod central.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline som99

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by som99
    • http://www.som99.se
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2017, 06:37:54 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;820066
Hope that doesn't turn out to be the case.  Forums are searchable and allow you to have a real conversation.  I can go back and reference a post from 10 years ago easily, if I need to.  Try doing that on Facebook.  ;)

1+ I agree 100% :)

Offline espenbo

• Show only replies by espenbo
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2017, 09:00:05 PM »
It's easier to read English than write it.
So I read.
And write if I need help or can help

Offline BozzerBigD

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2017, 09:45:30 PM »
Quote from: kd7ota;820053
By now most have gave into the evil of Facebook.

Surprised to see much of anyone left here.  Forums will be a relic of the past just like BBS. :)

Speak for yourself. Why anyone would give a single company access to that much personal information is beyond me. Supermarkets have to bribe customers with loyalty points to get them to sign up to 'Big Brother knows your shopping habits' cards! What exactly does Facebook give in return? Maybe a hollow sense of loss at not having as great a life (or meal for dinner) as your aquaintance from Year 10 at school?

I'll stick with Amiga.org and Amigaworld.net thank you. If Mark Zuckerberg wants my personal information he can request to be my pen pal or jog on (on his tour of every state in the U.S. he has planned this year, i.e. he's paid too much).

Same problem with Amazon. If we buy EVERYTHING from one company including plasters, paint, milk and clothes then quite soon the world of Bullfrog's Syndicate will come into being. Amazon already pays next to no corporation tax in the UK and treats its employees apallingly. Without Amazon marketplace many warehouse based resellers could no longer function as I found to my cost when I attempted to order a kettle off a badly maintained website left out to fallow due to Amazon & Ebay now accounting for 99% of their business! Let's just say the company had no idea the order had even been placed when I rang them despite a PayPal payment! The kettle soon arrived but this country's online retail sector no longer operates without Amazon, EBay ot PayPal (which is still EBay).

What with Micro Mart magazine going bust recently and with it the last printed maintream magazine I care about, I really think this 21st century mega-corporation/social media/celebrity/always connected and feedback obsessed world has gone mad.

The next garage, pet shop or dry cleaners that asks me for feedback on social media will get a Micro Mart back issue ceremonially wacking the nearest smart device onto the hard cold ground in a splintering of gorilla glass and aluminium. Not that they would care because they are probably paying £20 a month to insure the damned gadget. Rant over. :bitch:
"Art challenges technology. Technology inspires the art."

John Lasseter, Co-Founder of Pixar Animation Studios

Offline Gryfon

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2017, 12:12:37 AM »
I lurk here almost daily.
I post questions.
I reply to posts.
I vote sometimes.
I LOL and shout at the screen in equal measure in response to posts I see.
Perhaps one day Amiga.org will be gone.
But as long as I'm still around these things I will continue to do.  

Amiga means "community"to me.
\\"We should take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.\\" Ripley, Aliens

Offline darkage

• Show only replies by darkage
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2017, 07:31:09 AM »
zombie voice - must post mooooreee...

Offline OldAmigan

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2017, 08:04:22 AM »
OK, I confess, I lurk here a lot too but rarely post.

I tend to not say much if I haven't got much to say. I'm like that when I'm not on the web too, though.

My Amigas - A500, 2 x A 600, 2 x A1200, CDTV, Amiga One XE, Mac G4 with MorphOS, Acer laptop with AmigaForever, Amikit and IcAros, Raspberry Pi 'B' and Raspberry Pi 3 with Aeros

Offline darkage

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2017, 08:20:22 AM »
maybe we should have a reward system for number of meaningful posts ?  give away amiga tshirts or mugs :)

Offline bwldrbst

• Show only replies by bwldrbst
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2017, 08:55:37 AM »
I mostly lurk because I don't usually have a lot to add to the conversation. I've only gotten interested in Amigas again in the last year or two after a break of about 15 years.

Lately I've been writing some code in C, hopefully I'll be able to beat what I'm writing into good enough shape to put it on Aminet soon.

My Amigas:

* A2000/2MB Agnus/GVP 030@33MHz/8MB Fast/SCSI2SD/A2320 Flickerfixer.
* A1200/owned since new/totally stock apart from a CF card/wish I hadn't sold the DKB Cobra for peanuts in the late 90s when I was broke...
* A1000/looks awesome/not really useful.

Plus: Non-working A1000 and A2000 that I hope to get up and running again some day.

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2017, 10:56:19 AM »
Quote from: darkage;820151
maybe we should have a reward system for number of meaningful posts ?  give away amiga tshirts or mugs :)

There already is. There is an activity award that looks like a trophy. It is based on the green measure bar thingy underneath your avatar.

Offline darkage

« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2017, 11:05:51 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;820158
There already is. There is an activity award that looks like a trophy. It is based on the green measure bar thingy underneath your avatar.

Didnt know that one.  I guess its a virtual trophy, instead of physical item :P
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 01:46:21 PM by darkage »

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2017, 11:14:10 AM »
Quote from: darkage;820159
Didnt know that one.  I guess its a virtual trophy, instead of physical time :P

No. It's an actual trophy. Wayne used to go around to the recipient's home at the end of every month and present it to them.

Offline darkage

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2017, 01:48:37 PM »
Quote from: Kesa;820161
No. It's an actual trophy. Wayne used to go around to the recipient's home at the end of every month and present it to them.

oh dear, I wonder if it had anything to do with my spelling mistake in my previous post.. :P

Offline JGB

• Show only replies by JGB
« Reply #44 from previous page: January 20, 2017, 02:26:41 PM »
Been lurking for a couple of decades, i think.  I check the site twice per week just to see what's going on.  I think this will be my second post.  Maybe I win the Lifetime of Lurking (LOL) award?

1 A500 (with spare motherboard)
1 A4000 (with Toaster 4000)

Neither has been turned on in a very long time.  I did change out the A4K battery for a coin cell a long time ago, if you are curious.