Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Viruses  (Read 5335 times)

Description:

Offline BillseyTopic starter

• Show only replies by Billsey
    • http://billsey.christian.net
Viruses
« on: August 20, 2003, 09:12:54 PM »
Regarding my home account, virus-infected emails are coming at me at such a rate, even on Amiga Mailing lists, that I am giving notice here that I have begun using my provider's spamblocker software to block the addresses of those whose accounts are spreading these viruses, based soley on whether or not I recognize the address. Although I have been getting some from the PageStream folks, I recognize that address, so they won't be blocked. If your account is sending out these viruses, and I don't recognize your address, you will be blocked from my account. That might cause problems with some mailing lists, but the viruses are getting awfully thick around here. Although I use a Mac for Internet and have not been infected, it is getting extremely tiresome ferretting out those viruses. I hope people get a handle on it soon.
\\"The chief tormentor of the damned will be the conscience and it will not be misinformed, and it will not be silenced.\\"     John MacArthur
Salvation is by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone
\\"I am not ashamed of the Gospel, because it is the

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
Re: Viruses
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2003, 09:15:28 PM »
You should remember that sometimes people don't mean to send you the viruses, but get infected and the virus automatically mails itself to all the addresses stored in the addressbook.

Windows users without proper virus scanning software and firewalling should be banned from the internet. They're just a liability.

Offline seer

• Show only replies by seer
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2003, 09:17:27 PM »
Windows users without proper virus scanning software and firewalling should be banned from the internet. They're just a liability.

Well.. That would drop about 90% of internet users of the net.. I guess that would mean some faster net traffic..
~
Everything you say will be misquoted and used against you.
~

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2003, 10:27:03 PM »

WHOA! EGO HAS REACHED CRITICAL MASS!

Even with virus scanners and firewall software, users can still be idiots, let software talk through the firewall, forget to update their virus scanners, all kinds of things can happen.

Virus scanners and firewall software is unnecessary if users are educated properly.

Offline Paul_Gadd

• Show only replies by Paul_Gadd
    • http://elunatic.host.sk/start.html
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2003, 10:46:32 PM »
users can still be idiots

The funny thing is though the users what bitch and moan about a OS still continue to use it, that clearly shows what sort of idiot the user really is.

Offline mikeymike

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2003, 11:02:37 PM »
There are very few viable alternatives for the average user.  All the alternatives have viruses written for them though, if the market share were to go to any of the alternatives, so would the virus share.

Admittedly alternative operating systems are unlikely to have the excellent virus launching platform that Microsoft products provide.

Offline KennyR

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2003, 11:08:36 PM »
I don't use Windows, Mike.

Offline amigamad

• Show only replies by amigamad
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2003, 11:10:23 PM »
My firewall  runs all the time and my virus scanner is always up to date, i have the virus scanner check  the computer regular and use adaware and spybot .I also try to use my yahoo mail acount to send and recieve accept if i use amibench .i have had someone from freeserve send me a virus to my yahoo account. :-)
I once had an amigaone xe but sold it .

http://www.tamiyaclub.com

Offline KennyR

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2003, 11:14:33 PM »
Maybe they should just ban Windows users, period :)

Offline mikeymike

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2003, 11:14:39 PM »
I don't use Windows, Mike.

And?

Offline KennyR

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2003, 11:19:56 PM »
And?

And this is the pinnacle of user-education, no? ;-)

Offline mikeymike

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2003, 11:23:57 PM »
And this is the pinnacle of user-education, no?

Contrary to popular advocacy belief, no.

Offline Doobrey

• Show only replies by Doobrey
    • http://www.doobreynet.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2003, 11:58:57 PM »

amigamad wrote:
My firewall  runs all the time and my virus scanner is always up to date

Having an "upto date" virus checker won`t always stop a new virus, as there is always a delay between the virus being released and the company writing the detection and removal routines for it, so during that time you`re at some risk to it.
 The thing they should draw their attention to, is why the average Windows user still has the default (in)security setting in Outlook Express that helps these bloody things infect and spread.
On schedule, and suing

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2003, 12:53:31 AM »
Regarding my home account, virus-infected emails are coming at me at such a rate, even on Amiga Mailing lists, that I am giving notice here that I have begun using my provider's spamblocker software to block the addresses of those whose accounts are spreading these viruses, based soley on whether or not I recognize the address. Although I have been getting some from the PageStream folks, I recognize that address, so they won't be blocked. If your account is sending out these viruses, and I don't recognize your address, you will be blocked from my account.

Billsey-
I'm assuming you're complaining about Sobig.f - it's running rampent out there - I've cleared about a 100 out of my own inboxes over the past few days.  Anyhow, keep in mind, the newer viruses (such as sobig.f) forge the from: and reply-to: fields to random values found on OTHER CLEAN MESSAGES from the victim's inbox.  So, likely, the names you're blocking don't have anything to do with the virus, other than having recently sent the victim a clean e-mail.

If you want to block e-mail from people you don't know, you'd probably be better off going to a complete white-list system, rather than blocking the random addresses that may or may not have anything to do with a spam/virus, other than being forged as a from field.

Offline Cass

• Show only replies by Cass
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2003, 01:26:33 AM »
@Doobrey

Having an "upto date" virus checker won`t always stop a new virus, as there is always a delay between the virus being released and the company writing the detection and removal routines for it, so during that time you`re at some risk to it.

The modern virus killers have the ability to recognize/detect a possible new virus (in Norton AV particularly, there is the so called "bloodhound")

My POP3 server runs inflex-scan that is an optimal virus scaner for the incoming mails (checks the attachments, and the scripts).

I really feel more safe with Amiga than with any other platform (for the time beeing ;-) ).
________
Interracial videos
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 09:31:35 PM by Cass »
"If we don't got it, you don't want it!"