Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Deicide  (Read 1168 times)

Description:

Offline that_punk_guyTopic starter

• Show only replies by that_punk_guy
Deicide
« on: May 05, 2004, 12:23:18 AM »
Not one of Billsey's faves. ;-)

Any of the metalheads (god, I hate that word) here have the most recent Deicide record? I've heard the title track ('Scars of the Crucifix') and my, it's different...

Well, okay... it's not that different. It is Deicide, after all. It's just more atmospheric and discordant, with a couple of black-metal moments, but the main thing that surprised me was the lead guitars. It's like some ancient bygone era of metal that I didn't really listen to, all clean, fluid and *gulp*... melodic. Like Iron Maiden but more technical? I dunno... but I do know it sounds pretty cool! :-D

Offline Cyberus

• Show only replies by Cyberus
Re: Deicide
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 01:00:12 AM »
I've got the 'feasting the beast' demo - and haven't really listened to much other deicide, other than 'once upon the cross'. I didn't realise they were still going.

In fact, wasn't Glen Benton gonna commit suicide when he got to 33.5, cos then he would've outlived Jesus? He must be mid 30s now.... :-D
I like Amigas

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 01:21:43 AM »
Cyberus wrote:
In fact, wasn't Glen Benton gonna commit suicide when he got to 33.5, cos then he would've outlived Jesus? He must be mid 30s now.... :-D

Indeed, a couple of years ago I read that his 34th birthday had passed without event, he must be about 37 now, by my guess.

Which reminds me, remember the legend about the singer of Mayhem, that he blew his brains out and the guitarist found him and took pictures? I found out yesterday that photograph actually found its way onto the front cover of a Mayhem bootleg. Nasty stuff.

Offline cecilia

• Amiga Snob
    • Show only replies by cecilia
    • http://cecilia.sawneybean.com/
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 01:40:55 AM »
GG Allen was always promising to kill himself on stage, but i think he just died from an overdose.

i feel cheated.

:lol:
the no CARB diet- no Cheney, Ashcroft, Rumsfeld or Bush.
IFX CD Tutorial

Offline Van_M

• Show only replies by Van_M
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004, 03:20:48 AM »
Speaking of Metal bands, today I got the new record of my swedish faves, Evergrey... I mean, seriously, they are the most IMPORTANT band in metal this moment. Bands so original come around every 20 years or so. Especialy the singer has a very strong voice and the music is based on very melancholic yet powerful melodies and rhythms. can't wait to see them live again... check them out
The new Megadeth album rules!

Offline Vincent

• Show only replies by Vincent
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2004, 01:24:45 PM »
:-o Deicide and melodic in the same paragraph? What's the world coming to? :-D

I've got Legion, Amon: Feasting the Beast, Once Upon the Cross (the title track managed to get played on Radio 1 in the afternoon just before it was released.  That day just happened to be Easter Sunday :-o :-D), Serpents of the Light and When Satan Lives.

Once Upon the Cross is probably the best one on there.  It's even got a tribute to one of Benton's friends (if that's the word) on it.  Apparently he killed himself infront of his parents, so Benton decided to write To Be Dead about it.

I'll have to get the new one to hear something I thought would never happen - Deicide actually being tunefull :-D
Xbox360
"Oh no. Everytime you turn up something monumental and terrible happens.
I don\'t think I have the stomach for it." - Raziel

Offline Cyberus

• Show only replies by Cyberus
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2004, 01:33:50 PM »

Vincent wrote:
I'll have to get the new one to hear something I thought would never happen - Deicide actually being tunefull :-D

IIRC, their drummer writes all the music!  :-o
I like Amigas

Offline sumner7

• Show only replies by sumner7
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2004, 01:36:49 PM »

Cyberus wrote:

Vincent wrote:

Indeed he does. :-D

Offline Vincent

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2004, 02:17:50 PM »
Cyberus wrote:

And Glenn does all the lyrics.

So, has he progressed playing the guitars and that's why it's more melodic?  Or has one of the guitarists decided to get off his lazy arse and contribute stuff? :-P
Xbox360

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2004, 06:57:02 PM »
Vincent wrote:
Cyberus wrote:

And Glenn does all the lyrics.

So, has he progressed playing the guitars and that's why it's more melodic?  Or has one of the guitarists decided to get off his lazy arse and contribute stuff? :-P

I think Eric and Brian at least write the leads (their names are printed in the lyric sheet like solo placeholders, Slayer-style). Really though, it sounds to me like the band as a whole decided to go a step beyond this time. (Interestingly, Mr. Benton considers 'In Torment In Hell' a mere contractual obligation, while it's a strong candidate for my fave Deicide record.)

Offline Vincent

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2004, 12:39:08 PM »

that_punk_guy wrote:
(Interestingly, Mr. Benton considers 'In Torment In Hell' a mere contractual obligation, while it's a strong candidate for my fave Deicide record.)

Hmmm, could that mean that they're next album will be back to the usual tuneless gurgles they are used too?  Or is it just a way of fobbing off the style saying that it's "not what they really wanted to write" to all the hardcore Deicide fans who don't like proper tunes? ;-)
Xbox360