Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Amiga RGB To Component Video Adapter FINISHED!!!  (Read 9523 times)

Description:

Offline psxphill

Re: New Amiga RGB To Component Video Adapter FINISHED!!!
« Reply #44 from previous page: January 22, 2015, 08:49:03 PM »
Quote from: jdryyz;782025
Again, in my experience using the cables and devices already described, I am not getting a component signal output that is compatible with my displays. Something involving the type of synch, I believe.

Many modern TV's cannot handle 240p. If you set your workbench disk to an interlaced 15khz mode and that works, then you'll need something that scan converts 240p to 480p.

It caused problems for some wii virtual console & ps3 psn games.

You can't convert to 480i because it would upset the timing.

Offline mindprober

• Show only replies by mindprober
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2015, 09:29:13 PM »
That's interesting because when I was using the VGA connection, both my displays say I am sending a 480i signal. Is the native 15KHz Amiga signal really 240p even if I am using screenmodes with a higher resolution?

I did not check what the displays indicated using the monochrome ouput of the A500 but that signal is received very nicely. If the Amiga RGB is actually 240p, wouldn't that mean the monochrome would be also?

I will experiment with an interlaced workbench screen and see if that changes anything.

Quote from: psxphill;782164
Many modern TV's cannot handle 240p. If you set your workbench disk to an interlaced 15khz mode and that works, then you'll need something that scan converts 240p to 480p.

It caused problems for some wii virtual console & ps3 psn games.

You can't convert to 480i because it would upset the timing.

Offline mindprober

« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2015, 01:33:00 AM »
I tried using an interlaced NTSC Workbench. It still did not display an image.  :(

Offline Calimeiro

• Show only replies by Calimeiro
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2015, 12:32:15 PM »
Quote from: jdryyz;782142

My Amiga to SCART cable works fine with my SCART to HDMI box. I have no reason to suspect it, but I know there can be differences in the way the cables are made.

A/V mode switch or 4:3, 16:9 selector is not part of hdmi, hence box is working with your cable, but composite converter not.

I don't think sync is a problem as that signal has been decoded successfully in your hdmi converter. Without you wouldn't get a satisfying picture on screen.

Addendum: To my knowledge, a tv or monitor built with pal/ntsc tv interface can handle 256 (240) line mode (512/480 i). That is part of the specifications. Modern gfx cards and some Monitors no longer deal with  image date lower than 640*480 (31kHz). Output has to be doubled to be accepted (upscaling, frequency doubling).
Using interlace doesn't change a thing, as signal remains the same (15kHz).

You need Multiscan or DoubleNTSC mode to check. They are in the 30kHz ballpark. Those aren't RGB PAL/NTSC conformant and none of the gaming consoles from good old days uses other than low freq tv out. That's what the converter is made for.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 01:03:42 PM by Calimeiro »

Offline mindprober

« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2015, 03:11:22 PM »
Interesting. The cable is from AmigaKit and it is made to order. I suppose something could have gone wrong.

I do have a voltmeter, but honestly, I would need more guidance on how to check the items you mention. Perhaps I need to find a pinout diagram for both sides.

Unfortunately, this is the only REAL Amiga I have. Before being pulled out of storage that it was in for approx five years, it was used on a Amiga-compatible CRT monitor without problems. It was also stored in the original packaging in a cool, dry place. I don't think any corrosion is involved.

Quote from: Calimeiro;782163
Potential pitfalls:

SCART-cable is missing signal on of the following pins
16  rgb mode
8   a/v selector
20  composite sync (voltage too high)

check with voltmeter if possible.

////////////////

Cable might be ok, but miggy has corrosion on pin

///////////////////

Please check if cable has resistors to those lines for voltage correction, if there is no resistor swap cable for better one.

Well, and finally, the box might be produced in october (during play-offs) :lol:
Check with other machine than your miggy.

I don't want to force you to by a new, not until it is clear what's the culprit here :)

It's most likely they are waiting for signal from box (box to display acknowleged) but box don't get signal from input.

Offline mindprober

« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2015, 03:22:35 PM »
Quote from: Calimeiro;782193
A/V mode switch or 4:3, 16:9 selector is not part of hdmi, hence box is working with your cable, but composite converter not.

I don't think sync is a problem as that signal has been decoded successfully in your hdmi converter. Without you wouldn't get a satisfying picture on screen.

Good to know. At least that can be ruled out.

Quote from: Calimeiro;782193
Addendum: To my knowledge, a tv or monitor built with pal/ntsc tv interface can handle 256 (240) line mode (512/480 i). That is part of the specifications. Modern gfx cards and some Monitors no longer deal with  image date lower than 640*480 (31kHz). Output has to be doubled to be accepted (upscaling, frequency doubling).
Using interlace doesn't change a thing, as signal remains the same (15kHz).

You need Multiscan or DoubleNTSC mode to check. They are in the 30kHz ballpark. Those aren't RGB PAL/NTSC conformant and none of the gaming consoles from good old days uses other than low freq tv out. That's what the converter is made for.

Multiscan and DblNTSC require an AGA machine, correct? I only have the A500.

So with your help, I can examine my cable for faults. If the problem points there, I know another source for one.

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2015, 07:19:25 PM »
Quote from: jdryyz;782205
Multiscan and DblNTSC require an AGA machine, correct? I only have the A500.

No, as long as you have the ECS Denise (can be bought on ebay for under $20, another one of my highly recommended upgrades, along with the 3.1 ROM).  Why everyone doesn't upgrade their machines to "the latest and greatest" when components can be had for so cheap, I'm still facepalming about.  Sorry, /OT rant over!  ;)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline mindprober

« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2015, 07:35:38 PM »
I'm still OCS.  :)  I had a reason to stay there long ago. Not so today, but I see no compelling reason to upgrade at the moment, especially for screenmodes I doubt I will ever use.

Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;782218
No, as long as you have the ECS Denise (can be bought on ebay for under $20, another one of my highly recommended upgrades, along with the 3.1 ROM).  Why everyone doesn't upgrade their machines to "the latest and greatest" when components can be had for so cheap, I'm still facepalming about.  Sorry, /OT rant over!  ;)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 03:25:58 AM by jdryyz »

Offline Calimeiro

« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2015, 07:47:45 PM »
Scart pinout

Check on cable (not box :) )
Pin 20 --> should be less then 3.0 V
Pin 16 --> 5.0 V
Pin 8   --> 12.0 V

Final test Pin 13 on amiga sub-d 23pin should be wired to pin 18 scart only, no other ground. if it is grounded to shielding(common ground) or all other ground, isolate or cut and rewire.

i hope this will help
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 07:52:31 PM by Calimeiro »

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2015, 02:49:47 AM »
Quote from: kjmann;772101
That is correct. component video is already a 15khz horiz refresh, so it doesn't need a scan doubler.

Modern tv's use internal scan doublers for displaying your 15khz video. And seriously, they use the cheapest parts available. If you want anything near decent, your best bet is something like an xrgb framemeister or something in the same class. Your best option still is to get an arcade montitor.
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline mindprober

« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2015, 03:10:56 AM »
I see your imbedded image link when quoting you but it did not show up in the original post. Weird.

Silly question, but if you are looking for correct voltages, I assume you want the DB23 side plugged in and the Amiga turned on before I check the SCART side?

In that event, I had better be careful where I am sticking the voltmeter probe.  :)

Quote from: Calimeiro;782222
Scart pinout

Check on cable (not box :) )
Pin 20 --> should be less then 3.0 V
Pin 16 --> 5.0 V
Pin 8   --> 12.0 V

Final test Pin 13 on amiga sub-d 23pin should be wired to pin 18 scart only, no other ground. if it is grounded to shielding(common ground) or all other ground, isolate or cut and rewire.

i hope this will help
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 03:29:19 AM by jdryyz »

Offline Calimeiro

« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2015, 12:27:03 PM »
Oops, bad linking.

Yes, connect cable to miggy or you don't get anything interesting :D

Offline mindprober

« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2015, 02:09:28 PM »
Quote from: Calimeiro;782249

Yes, connect cable to miggy or you don't get anything interesting :D

I figured but it doesn't hurt to be certain today given my diminishing attention span.   :)

Offline mindprober

« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2015, 03:13:20 AM »
I must be doing something wrong because I am not getting any voltages off of those pins! Yes, the computer is turned on.  :)

Granted, it has been years since I have used my multimeter but I did do a quick test on a battery and the reading was accurate.

I placed the common probe on the common ground (pin 21) and the "hot" probe on the various pins. Please ignore the "200" setting in the attachment. I had it on 20 when I was testing.

I also tried the shield ground instead of pin 21. It did not help.

Do I even have my "hot" probe plugged into the right socket on the meter? Probably do since the battery gave me a reading.

Offline djos

• Show only replies by djos
    • http://users.adam.com.au/djorlc/
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2015, 03:36:41 AM »
Quote from: jdryyz;782622
I must be doing something wrong because I am not getting any voltages off of those pins! Yes, the computer is turned on.  :)

No you arent, Amiga video isnt SCART therefore you wont measure any "flag" voltages for SCART to indicate 16:9 vs 4:3 etc.

Amiga video is just RGBs and some ground pins.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1220 16Mhz 128MB w/ RTC, 4GB CF-HDD, Roland MT-32 MIDI Synthesiser
Amiga 500 w/ KS2.05, 1Mb Chip-Ram, CF-IDE w/4MB Fast-Ram, FDD Boot Selector, HxC RevC Floppy emulator
Commodore 64 w/ 1541 Ultimate-II inc Tape Adapter, JiffyDOS, 1541 Disk Drive, 1531 Datasette, Flyer Net Modem

Offline orange

• Show only replies by orange
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2015, 07:16:40 AM »
@jdryyz
the cable must be modified to provide expected voltages for new TVs. (pin 16 is most important)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 07:18:53 AM by orange »
Better sorry than worry.