Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The end of Andriod?  (Read 4426 times)

Description:

Offline psxphill

Re: The end of Andriod?
« Reply #29 from previous page: August 01, 2013, 12:09:20 AM »
Quote from: itix;743017
I havent seen anyone using any other than iPhone here.

Which is odd because the statistics I saw had Android ahead of iPhone. But you might live in an iPhone bubble, someone else might not see nothing but Android phones.

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2013, 08:10:41 PM »
Quote from: kickstart;743296
I prefer to uninstall many applications that i cant and a way to smooth the device without cyanogens or whatever rom. Im just asking from my ignorance of android.

I installed SuperSU for rooting the device; I use ES File Manager to remove system packages. My cheapo Samsung Pocket is not supported by CyanogenMod.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

Offline ferrellsl

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2013, 08:58:23 PM »
Quote from: Hattig;743068
AppleInsider has become a very rabid Apple fansite and loves leaping to conclusions based around long articles with poor logic and lack of fact checking.  When they concentrate on Apple related stuff they can be quite good but they flounder when it comes to other systems.

The Chromecast only includes a stripped down ChromeOS and no Android because it's a $35 device engineered to do certain tasks, and those tasks don't include running Android.  It's hardly a shock that they reused their existing Google TV software stack in part. Most likely there is an aim to sell the design to TV manufacturers to include within their low to mid market TVs, with full Google TV in the higher end ranges.

Sheesh: "Android's Dalvik is essentially a rewritten, optimized variant of Sun's Java VM" - no, it's an entirely different virtual machine, register based, not stack based, and it's not very well optimised compared with a Java JIT JVM.

You're remarks regarding the Chromecast are incorrect.  It's an Android device and has already been rooted and loads Android APKs.

http://www.geek.com/android/chromecast-gets-rooted-turns-out-to-be-more-android-than-chrome-os-1563671/

Offline EvilGuy

• Show only replies by EvilGuy
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2013, 10:39:36 PM »
Only in Apple Bizarro world does anything on that page make any sense.

Its like arguing that Apple is getting out of the phone business because they're releasing a budget version of the iPhone, something Jobs said would never happen as it would dilute the profits, err, brand too much.

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2013, 04:11:05 AM »
Quote from: psxphill;743300
Which is odd because the statistics I saw had Android ahead of iPhone. But you might live in an iPhone bubble, someone else might not see nothing but Android phones.

It could be. I am currently in the states and they love Apple like we Finns used to love Nokia.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2013, 04:13:45 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;743244
Root it then install ROM Manager from the Play Store, then use that to wipe the Samsung crap and install CM10.1 you won't regret it. :)

Cant do that. It is not strictly my own phone but paid by my employer. If I had a phone that I had paid and owned myself I probably would hack it :)
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline kamelito

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2013, 07:07:59 AM »

Offline smartroad

• Show only replies by smartroad
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2013, 11:48:10 AM »
I liked the image of the 'Samsung before and after iPhone'. It isn't too much of a stretch that before iPhone there was no or limited touch interfaces and needing the use of a keypad. After iPhone you had touch enabled OS's, which obviously have no need to a physical keypad, how different can you make what is essentially a rectangular screen and nothing else?

Offline tribz

• Show only replies by tribz
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2013, 12:02:45 PM »
Quote from: itix;743017
Nokia is probably gone for good. Dunno. Maybe Samsung too. Here in the states everyone is using iphone... I havent seen anyone using any other than iPhone here.

This is an interesting map based on tweets as to whos using what OS.

http://www.mapbox.com/labs/twitter-gnip/brands/#3/39.64/-10.20

You can zoom in and out and also scroll over to Europe

Had a wry smile at this ...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/07/31/microsoft_android_money_maker/

Microsoft makes a ton of money of Android, more so than Windows Phone.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2013, 12:04:00 PM »
Quote from: smartroad;743423
I liked the image of the 'Samsung before and after iPhone'. It isn't too much of a stretch that before iPhone there was no or limited touch interfaces and needing the use of a keypad. After iPhone you had touch enabled OS's, which obviously have no need to a physical keypad, how different can you make what is essentially a rectangular screen and nothing else?

I had a Motorola A1000 three years before the iPhone came out.

Exact same shape.
Touch screen only.
Multitasking OS.
Native apps installable from anywhere.

I used to have it playing Amiga chip mods and SID tunes on the train to work whilst web browsing and checking email and my son used it to play emulated Sega Megadrive games.

I really do fail to see what was so "revolutionary" about the iPhone.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 12:10:40 PM by nicholas »
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini