Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The end of Andriod?  (Read 4428 times)

Description:

Offline PyromaniaTopic starter

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
The end of Andriod?
« on: July 29, 2013, 06:10:31 PM »

Offline nicholas

Re: The end of Andriod?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 06:37:09 PM »
"We did not enter the search business. They entered the phone business," Jobs reportedly told employees at a company meeting in February of 2010. "Make no mistake; Google wants to kill the iPhone. We won't let them."

Looks like he failed...

http://www.osnews.com/comments/27220

That's just Samsung, add the rest of the Android devices to that number and it's even more of a landslide victory for Android.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Nlandas

• Show only replies by Nlandas
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 06:39:42 PM »
Quote from: Pyromania;742956
Could the end be near in the not too far off future?

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/07/29/google-appears-ready-to-ditch-android-over-its-intellectual-property-issues

The Apple fans at Appleinsider.com forgot to mention how fragmented the OS is and how iOS 7 will bring it to it's knees before Google can simply decide to scrap it.

I can see Google wanting to merge ChromeOS and Android as their focus seems to be on web enabled OSs. However, this article seems like a lot of gloom and doom as opposed to the promise of new hybrid innovative ecosystems that Google is likely to bring our way. I'm sure Apple would love to see an end of Android that has stolen the Smartphone market and is in the process of stealing the Tablet market but to call it an end is spin.

We know that Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie is already planned and could be released as early as Q4 and 4.3 just shipped which is supposed to be the last release of Jelly Bean. So if major change is coming to Android it would probably be more accurate to look at it as the metamorphoses of Android.

I doubt that Google is likely to want to end the run away success of Android even if as the article suggests it hasn't been able to directly capitalize off it as it should have been able to.
I think, Therefore - Amiga....

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 06:58:02 PM »
One of the worst articles I've read in recent memory, and another fine example of clickbaiting, heh.  However, I expect no less from Apple Insider.

Spend 5 minutes with a Chromecast and you, like I did - will likely realize that Android may have been an option for the "OS" on it, it was by no means the best option.  For what they are trying to accomplish with the thing, Chrome OS itself is far better.  Chromecast is a neat little dongle, but not much more than a novelty at this point.  I'd be willing to wager good money that most people were like myself and simply bought one because they were curious and it also came with 3 months of Netflix subscription, a $24 value.  Making the actual device have a cost to user of $11.  I'm not particularly impressed with the thing, but it's early days at the moment.  It's got quite a few neat things about it and I'm eager to see what Google does with it in the future.  Just a shame they made it Wifi only - would have loved to see it with a gig ethernet port on it.

As for capitalization and profits made off Android, if you think it was Google's goal to make money off a mobile open source OS directly you're crazy.  Google is all about search, and if it takes making a mobile OS to lock you into their services and ad model, they will do it.  It's working *extremely* well for them.

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 06:58:50 PM »
Quote from: Nlandas;742960
The Apple fans at Appleinsider.com forgot to mention how fragmented the OS is and how iOS 7 will bring it to it's knees before Google can simply decide to scrap it.

I can see Google wanting to merge ChromeOS and Android as their focus seems to be on web enabled OSs. However, this article seems like a lot of gloom and doom as opposed to the promise of new hybrid innovative ecosystems that Google is likely to bring our way. I'm sure Apple would love to see an end of Android that has stolen the Smartphone market and is in the process of stealing the Tablet market but to call it an end is spin.

We know that Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie is already planned and could be released as early as Q4 and 4.3 just shipped which is supposed to be the last release of Jelly Bean. So if major change is coming to Android it would probably be more accurate to look at it as the metamorphoses of Android.

I doubt that Google is likely to want to end the run away success of Android even if as the article suggests it hasn't been able to directly capitalize off it as it should have been able to.

"stolen the Smartphone market and is in the process of stealing the Tablet market"

You want a monopoly in a whole market segment with high prices, low services and a company like Apple defining the content? Great how about the germans get back the monopoly in cars industry because they build the first cars?

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 07:10:13 PM »

No. Wanna bet ?
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 07:23:22 PM »

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/07/29/google-appears-ready-to-ditch-android-over-its-intellectual-property-issues

I think Android is there to stay.. but Android bugs on my Samsung S3 put me off from buying Android tablets and my next phone is going to be iPhone. Or perhaps Nokia if they have got something useful done. But not Android. It is buggy.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 11:31:39 PM by itix »
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook

Offline nicholas

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 07:27:46 PM »
Quote from: itix;742969
I think Android is there to stay.. but Android bugs on my Samsung S3 put me off from buying Android tables and my next phone is going to be iPhone. Or perhaps Nokia if they have got something useful done. But not Android. It is buggy.

I've had no problems with CyanogenMod on any device but the Samsung Touchwiz crap on my S2 and the even more dire Sense rubbish on my HTC Sensation were really buggy.

I might be tempted into a Jolla device for my next handset if I can get my hands on one.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline SysAdmin

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 08:16:22 PM »
Quote from: itix;742969
I think Android is there to stay.. but Android bugs on my Samsung S3 put me off from buying Android tables and my next phone is going to be iPhone. Or perhaps Nokia if they have got something useful done. But not Android. It is buggy.

Nokia phone? That was a funny joke!

:)
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 08:20:15 PM »
Quote from: SysAdmin;742981
Nokia phone? That was a funny joke!

:)

Nokia have always made the best hardware, it's just a shame they tied themselves to the WinPhone abomination.

Offline SysAdmin

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 08:23:14 PM »
@nicholas

You are right the hardware is good. I owned a Symbian Nokia phone before the iPhone and from a hardware standpoint it was nice. The joke is on Nokia now because they only support Windows Phone. What a way to ruin all hope of sales. They should offer Android as well so they can sell some units for a change. After Windows Phone fails just like the Kin phone and Zune maybe Nokia will wise up before they go out of business. Here's hoping.
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 08:31:08 PM »
I think the board would have to get rid of the MS stooge Elop first and it doesn't look likely.

Offline psxphill

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 10:02:45 PM »

The chromecast is no indication that they are dropping android completely. It makes sense to not use java when you're building a fixed function device.

java makes sense when you want to run the same application across lots of different hardware & allow anyone to write applications as they run in a sandbox and can't do any damage.

Android is likely to stay on phones and tablets for a while, although eventually they might replace it with Chrome OS.

The Chromecast is pretty uninspiring though.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 10:15:20 PM by psxphill »

Offline AJCopland

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 10:10:55 PM »

Nope, it's just that it's a cut-down device focused on a single purpose. You'd have to be stupid to put a full fledged OS on it.

Also that's Apple Insider discussing a Google device and rubbishing Android? Colour me shocked to the core...
Be Positive towards the Amiga community!

Offline itix

• Show only replies by itix
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 11:36:53 PM »
Quote from: SysAdmin;742985
@nicholas

You are right the hardware is good. I owned a Symbian Nokia phone before the iPhone and from a hardware standpoint it was nice. The joke is on Nokia now because they only support Windows Phone. What a way to ruin all hope of sales. They should offer Android as well so they can sell some units for a change.

I dont care what operating system my phone is running at. I just want to make phone calls and send text messages. Samsung S3 is quite good at that but it is unacceptable it reboots silently when it is passively waiting for incoming calls.

I dont know is it fault of Samsung or Android. Certainly I am not trying Samsung or Android anytime soon.

After Windows Phone fails just like the Kin phone and Zune maybe Nokia will wise up before they go out of business. Here's hoping.

If Windows Phone fails Nokia is dead. They dont have second chance. And I dont know if Android could rescue Nokia. In Europe everyone think Android = Samsung.

Nokia is probably gone for good. Dunno. Maybe Samsung too. Here in the states everyone is using iphone... I havent seen anyone using any other than iPhone here.
My Amigas: A500, Mac Mini and PowerBook