Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Surface Pro ships with only 23KB free or less than a single floppy!  (Read 3771 times)

Description:

Offline Heiroglyph

• Show all replies
I'm a fan of cloud storage for data.  Obviously for video or other large, high-speed data it's not workable though.

I use Google Drive a lot (I paid for extra storage) because I figure the odds of me losing data locally is way higher than Google losing it.

Also since I have multiple computers syncing to the account, I have it in multiple local locations without having to manually do back ups.

The other benefit is that all my data is available on any computer I'm using.  I can switch from a notebook to a home computer to my office and it's all just there and up to date.

A lot of people think cloud storage is just bad, but if used wisely it can be a huge workflow improvement.

That tablet is pretty ridiculously under spec'ed for that price though, cloud storage or not.

Offline Heiroglyph

• Show all replies
Re: Surface Pro ships with only 23KB free or less than a single floppy!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 02:24:49 PM »
Quote from: gertsy;724900
Funny I think the surface RT is really cool & I've got an iPad and iPod touch.  I must be mad though 'cos a lot of the tech media say it's crap and they are always so cognisant of strategy and technology change.
IMO I can see more issues with the intel version cos everyone will expect it to be a tablet that can run all their x86 apps but why would you want too?  You think you do but you really don't. That's not what a tablet is about. Editing music on a DAW on a bus?  Don't think so.

hmmm

I think a lot of the problem is how MS didn't commit to a tablet OS. (or a desktop OS for that matter)

When people have to resort to desktop mode they see a familiar Windows screen.  That makes most average users wonder why their good old apps don't work.

Because they don't have Apple's steadfast "do it great or nothing" attitude, MS will eventually give in and have hybrids that aren't good desktops and aren't good tablets either.

I expect them to get worse before they get better.

Offline Heiroglyph

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 03:44:40 PM »
Quote from: gertsy;724912
Its all relative to your opinion of what great is, telling consumers that's the way it is doesn't make it real. Unless you are a blind follower.  There are lots of holes and stuff that doesn't "join" up or isn't so great, but there are lots more good things. Learning listening and evolving is the important thing for tech companies not telling them that their product is perfect day 1 so it must be you. We must expect support and change.

I actually don't own a single Apple product, but they have a reputation for doing what they think is best regardless of backlash and I can respect that with caveats.

There's a fine line between being a platform dictator and design by committee.

I think MS could move quite a bit closer to the platform dictator side and make products that at least seem like a cohesive, purposely built unit.  As it stands most of their products don't seem complete or focused, just good enough not to completely fail.

Offline Heiroglyph

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 04:14:20 PM »
Quote from: commodorejohn;724921
No, they're actually polar opposites.

That's true, but why do companies always seem to end up far to one side of it?

Seems like a tricky balance to me.