Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: iPad 2  (Read 26250 times)

Description:

Offline dentunes

• Show all replies
Re: iPad 2
« Reply #14 from previous page: March 09, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;620596
Dentunes i looked at your links earlier and i thought it was really cool being able to hook up your ipad up to a synth. It reminds me of when i was young and there were programs you could use that turned your Amiga keyboard into a synth. Really, really cool :)
Yeah, I am looking forward to them landing in store to try it out.
Amiga, Amiga, Where for art thou Amiga?

Offline dentunes

• Show all replies
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2011, 03:27:21 AM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;621063
Ive seen you trying to tout the iPad as a good tool for musicians a bit in this thread, but personally I just dont get it. In over 20 years of being a musician, Ive never once thought to myself "damn, I wish there was yet another unnecessary device involved here". Guitar <->rack<->mixer<->amps kinda covers it all. To insert another device adds absolutely nothing.
So you have never recorded yourself playing? Not one demo tape? Never used chord charts?

Tablets aren't for everyone. You don't need it. That is cool. At least 15 million people so far have a different opinion to that. Thankfully we are all different like that.

Offline dentunes

• Show all replies
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011, 05:12:50 AM »
Quote from: countzero;621073
I'ld rather let the mixer guy do his job than look like a desperate idiot up on stage showing off his i-fad (rather than making music).

you don't need a chord chart if you know what you're doing.
:afro:

And of course every guitarist knows what they are doing! How stupid of me to think otherwise! :)

Offline dentunes

• Show all replies
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2011, 11:13:19 AM »
For a thread that started talking about an iPad it really has branched out into many different discussions from iTunes to guitar effects processors.

Love it!

Offline dentunes

• Show all replies
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2011, 09:47:31 AM »
Quote from: bloodline;621361
But to do it on a few Roland W-30s and akai samplers in the late 90s was amazing. I would say that if you listen to that album from a technical stand point you will appreciate it more :)

Man, haven't heard the W-30 mentioned in ages. Nothing like a keyboard that required floppy disks to load the operating system in before you could use it!

Offline dentunes

• Show all replies
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2011, 09:50:39 AM »
Quote from: Kronos;621362
I wouldn't know, but for me they are (just like the Gaga) radio-music. Stuff that I will turn the volume up when I hear while snailing along the Autobahn (read when music ist just background entertainment.

I would never ever buy a record by them and when I really ! listen ! to music I tend to get somewhat away from the mainstream (sometimes only a little bit sometimes right into the land of the bizzare).

Who would have thought .....
Were you aware the new Korg keyboard is called Kronos?

Maybe you changed your name to be like it, I don't know.
PS I may have already said this before. I have a shocking memory.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 09:54:37 AM by dentunes »

Offline dentunes

• Show all replies
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2011, 10:40:25 AM »
Quote from: bloodline;621366
I still have a W-30 here, with 7seconds of sample time you have to be very clever how you use it. I keep it around (much like my Amigas), because it add a very unique "colour" to the audio... 12bit sampler and real analogue filters (and probabaly the age of the components) are just unique :)

I have a Roland MT-32 still sitting between my two Apple Cinema Displays for old school gaming (Space Quest, Leisure Suit Larry and pretty much every other Sierra game back then). It doesn't get much use for gigs anymore, like it did back in the early 90's
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 10:47:33 AM by dentunes »

Offline dentunes

• Show all replies
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2011, 11:13:13 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;621374
That's easy. It's because everything has already been invented. There's nothing more to invent. It's like maths - all maths has been discovered. So i guess the only thing to do now is not to try and invent but find different ways of using what we already have. In Australia there is a Ukulele revival going on so i guess that's a new way to use an instrument that has been around forever. Really quite funny when you think about it because it's not even Australian! :)
So you are at Gold Coasts's Nobby's Beach. The ukulele revival is due to schools replacing recorders with them. I guess they believe more people will play guitar than Brass/Woodwind so have selected Ukulele instead.

Don't I know it, running one of the Allans Music + Billy Hyde stores down here in Melbourne. Ukulele sales at Christmas were just stupid!

Offline dentunes

• Show all replies
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2011, 11:33:56 AM »
Quote from: Kesa;621376
I didn't know you were from Australia :)

Actually i'm not on the Gold Coast i'm in Newcastle :)

So do you think it is just a fad or is it going to stay?

I prefer recorders myself :)
Probably both will stay and students will choose. There is no point pushing B&O (Band and Orchestral) onto students if they don't want to do them. Guitars are not going anywhere and the schools are adapting.

Ukeleles are in the same price point as recorders. It allows students to buy them cheap and begin their path to guitar stardom. I don't think it is a fad.

Offline dentunes

• Show all replies
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2011, 12:13:50 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;621383
I stumbled across this little gem of a site last night, i thought you'd appreciate it too! :)

http://www.synthmania.com/Famous%20Sounds.htm
D50 Fantasia had to be there lol

Some classic sounds in there.

Jump Brass (Synth Brass) was missing though lol
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 12:16:54 PM by dentunes »

Offline dentunes

• Show all replies
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2011, 12:28:02 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;621386
Nah it's there, i actually found that site whilst googling for the name of a mid 90's Italo-house tune that sampled Jump that I've forgotten the name of. (It also samples an Afrika Bambaata acapella too if anyone remembers it?)
Yes it is. I missed it.

Offline dentunes

• Show all replies
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2011, 12:35:21 PM »
I used to work in the piano department before running the store and I used these common sounds in the demos.

Also on these I used Wurly for "Moving on up" M People I think it was.
Clavinet for "Superstition" (All black keys, easier for Stevie to play)
Organ for "Whiter shade of pale"

and many more.