Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AROS Vision 1.5.9. with full CD-Support and Mplayer  (Read 1745 times)

Description:

Offline OlafS3Topic starter

AROS Vision 1.5.9. with full CD-Support and Mplayer
« on: March 25, 2013, 12:29:09 PM »
I have just uploaded AROS Vision 1.5.9. One of the main topics is full CD-Support including automounting of CDs, playing Music-CDs (MUI CD Player), Video can be played with ffplay or mplayer (the only missing thing is CD32 emulation). Further additions are FAT95, TwinVNC, Mr. Beanbag, a couple of music player and backup-tools. Amistart-menues are extended.

the download-link:
http://www.natami-news.de/html/distribution_download.html

the manual:
http://www.natami-news.de/html/user_manual.html

Below are two pictures, the first showing MUI CD Player playing Music from CD and the second a screenshot of a movie running with Mplayer (68k, 1.0)

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
Re: AROS Vision 1.5.9. with full CD-Support and Mplayer
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 01:52:34 PM »
@OlafS3

congrats on the new release. i may have asked this back in the day on AWN (can't remember): for users not using UAE, what would you consider the minimum hardware requirements to run on a classic amiga but with good performance? would it be usable, for example, on an 030 processor? should AGA be sufficient for graphics performance, or would you say an RTG-compatible graphics card is needed?

got an upgraded A1200 over here just itchin' to try something new. ;)

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 02:10:36 PM »
I have no chance to test it myself on real hardware, I only use it on emulation. Wawa (who makes tests with nightly builds on real hardware now and then) recommends 6 MB and a very fast CPU (68060). On 68030 it might be slow till now. Graphic card is certainly a good thing (I have developed it on RTG). To test if the hardware works at all it is best to test it with a nightly build to make sure Aros 68k works at all on the hardware.

And thanx :-)

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 02:14:06 PM »
@OlafS3

ok. i'll give it a try later this week.  the A1200 has an ACA1230 plugged in it, but that's it. so we'll see how it works with AGA.  if i get around to testing it properly, i'll post over on aros-exec.  thanks for your efforts.  it's awesome to see a NG OS for classic hardware without requiring one of the PPC accelerators.

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 02:19:56 PM »
I am very interested in this too (and Jason certainly too :-) )

But if it works it will propably be not very fast. As far as I know they are concentrating on implementing all 3.1. features but it is still not optimized for classic hardware (AGA, ECS,...) but that is what they want to reach. From features it seems to me very complete now. Scalos and Magellan are included (next thing I will work on)

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 03:44:20 PM »
Quote from: eliyahu;730269
@OlafS3

congrats on the new release. i may have asked this back in the day on AWN (can't remember): for users not using UAE, what would you consider the minimum hardware requirements to run on a classic amiga but with good performance? would it be usable, for example, on an 030 processor? should AGA be sufficient for graphics performance, or would you say an RTG-compatible graphics card is needed?

got an upgraded A1200 over here just itchin' to try something new. ;)

-- eliyahu

depends what you have at your disposal. aros is likely to boot on just any amiga save for unexpanded 60000 systems, this due to memory shortage. you can go wit aga or rtg, in which case rtg is of course an improvement in this comparison. original amiga chipset was not fully implemented last time i looked, but it suits for most cases, there are some games that will not work or display correctly though. the main problem is chipram shortage. running on aga with reasonable productivity resolutions and color depths, as one is accustomed today, you will quickly runn of memory, especially on multiple screens.

if you want to use rtg though you will have to add the genuine p96 drivers to the bootstrap in your startup-sequence. i can instruct you how to do that.

i would reccomend fastest cpu you have. of course i wouldnt buy one just for this case if i was you, but if you have an 060 board, go ahead and use it. the more ram the better of course, but ive never run out of my 128mb so far.

now, expect aros to be slow in comparison to genuine system. especially wanderer. the application themselves will run with usual speed, but aros desktop (wanderer) is rubbish and will cause you headaches. of course you can also boot to the shell, through early startup, holding both mouse keys i usual way. there are desktop alternatives like workbook (not fully implemented), scalos (not fully working) or magellan (this is the best if foreign).

al in all ist still all a mess under construction.. but the more people involved the better.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 03:54:27 PM by wawrzon »

Offline nicholas

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 04:36:59 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;730287
depends what you have at your disposal. aros is likely to boot on just any amiga save for unexpanded 60000 systems, this due to memory shortage. you can go wit aga or rtg, in which case rtg is of course an improvement in this comparison. original amiga chipset was not fully implemented last time i looked, but it suits for most cases, there are some games that will not work or display correctly though. the main problem is chipram shortage. running on aga with reasonable productivity resolutions and color depths, as one is accustomed today, you will quickly runn of memory, especially on multiple screens.

if you want to use rtg though you will have to add the genuine p96 drivers to the bootstrap in your startup-sequence. i can instruct you how to do that.

i would reccomend fastest cpu you have. of course i wouldnt buy one just for this case if i was you, but if you have an 060 board, go ahead and use it. the more ram the better of course, but ive never run out of my 128mb so far.

now, expect aros to be slow in comparison to genuine system. especially wanderer. the application themselves will run with usual speed, but aros desktop (wanderer) is rubbish and will cause you headaches. of course you can also boot to the shell, through early startup, holding both mouse keys i usual way. there are desktop alternatives like workbook (not fully implemented), scalos (not fully working) or magellan (this is the best if foreign).

al in all ist still all a mess under construction.. but the more people involved the better.

How is performance of Workbench 3.1 booting from a soft kicked AROS Kickstart ROM?
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 05:49:52 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;730299
How is performance of Workbench 3.1 booting from a soft kicked AROS Kickstart ROM?

i suppose the performance would be close to 3.1 workbench upon 3.1 kickstart. dopus magellan is fast enough. but i didnt try this particular case, cause i didnt have 3.1 workbench.library at hand. id have to romsplit it from the original kickstart first. the library i have at hand is a patched late 3.9 version and it doesnt work with aros, because it apparently needs some functions the underlaying aros libs (being 3.1 compliant) do not provide.