Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More Micro AmigaOnes Coming  (Read 5955 times)

Description:

Offline System

• Show all replies
    • http://amiga.org
Re: More Micro AmigaOne's Coming!!
« on: June 09, 2005, 12:01:55 PM »
@djbase,

The hijacking of this thread is, well, a bit desperate.  Not only was strobe off-topic, but spamming in violation of the posting guidelines. It also violates the posted guideline about "staying on topic", so it's equally in the wrong.

That being said, I won't edit or delete the comment, because -- simply stated -- I don't need the aggravation of listening to all the "baby blue trolls" whining about "censorship" (when in fact, I would simply be enforcing the POSTED rules), but the incessant need to hijack Amiga-related threads by some seems fairly desperate to me.

Of course, Genesi putting out such a specially priced machine the day after Alan pretty much declares the AmigaOne dead is a typical marketing decision by Genesi management which is designed to fragment the Amiga community and capitalize on people's disappointment from Alan's interview.

In the end, buy whatever you want, run whatever you want.  I don't really care, but the rules are in place for a reason.  All I ask before you purchase either machine is that you do your research and decide for yourself which is a company that really deserves your hard-earned money for a product that may, or may not make it into the future beyond 2006.

Offline System

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 12:06:29 PM »
@strobe
What on earth does that have to do with 2006?

June 6th, 2006, Apple will introduce their X86-based  Macintosh, meaning that PPC will -- from that moment -- make up less than 1% of the new desktop market.  On June 6th, 2007, Apple will stop making PPC Macs altogether, meaning that there will be NO viability for the PPC on the desktop.

Hell, since when was the 68k processor in the "bulk of new desktop machines" sold?! Between no way and no how, that's when!

1985 actually, with the release of the Amiga and the Apple machines, the 68k ruled the desktop for a short while, until Gates and company took over.

Wayne

Offline System

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 05:10:39 PM »
@Mikey_C

Now all we need is some icecream, sauces, and a cherry for a great banana split.

:-)

Offline System

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 11:16:05 PM »
@strobe

Your personal attack on me is now removed.  

My comments have nothing to do with the Amiga or Pegasos.  My comments were about enforcing the WRITTEN rules.  What part of this do you not understand?

Let's examine this, step by step, shall we?

1) You hijacked a thread about the AmigaOne motherboards to advertise the Pegasos ODW.  If you  want to pretend that the ODW has nothing to do with the Amiga, why did you post an ODW advertisement in a thread about the AmigaOne motherboard?

Against the posted guidelines re: spamming

2) You deliberately went off-topic

Against the posted guidelines re: staying on topic

3) You have now crossed into the realm personal attacks

Against the posted guidelines re: no personal attacks

I know you're used to using Bill Buck's Moobunny and it's "honesty" (read: anarchy) but here we have rules.  Abide by them, or sod off.  End of story.

Offline System

• Show all replies
Re: More Micro AmigaOnes Coming
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 03:15:42 AM »
@Velcro

My personal interpretation is that they have a bunch of parts laying about and want to build up enough orders to buy the CPU's and clear them out so that they can at least break even and clear up a few shelves.  

I don't know, but I'm still not enthusiastic about the idea that anything beyond this "hopeful order" would be forthcoming in the future.  Alan pretty much said all that needs to be said the other day.  This seems more like damage control, official or not.

From that thread, I find this MOST interesting:
So at the moment we are out of stock, we have mostly paid for the next batch and the manufacturer has everything lined up for production except the cpu's.

I know that this is fodder for the trolls.  I don't intend it that way at all, but is it just me, or did Alan just hand us conclusive evidence that the AmigaOne motherboard is not their product and that they're only a "relabeller"?  

Just help me understand without trolling please.  Eyetech takes the Teron motherboard design, has someone else build the board (as well as handle parts acquisition management apparently) then puts their "AmigaOne" sticker on it?  I'm honestly asking because I don't know.  I guess I stopped trying to keep up some time ago, what with the other two other circus' in Amiga-town.

What exact part does Eyetech play in the AmigaOne, other than middle-man?

Wayne

Offline System

• Show all replies
Re: More Micro AmigaOnes Coming
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2005, 03:20:17 PM »
This isn't the same as rebranding, which is to take someone elses product at the 'dealer' point, slap a different label on it, then ship it out.

@Wiffy and everyone else

Thank you.  That's what I needed to know.  Without knowing exactly what was happening, it simply appeared differently.  As I said, it was not my intent to troll, I was just trying to understand what part Eyetech actually played, if not as a "rebadger".

Wayne