Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Allergies" or simply a mere cold?  (Read 2684 times)

Description:

Offline X-ray

• Show only replies by X-ray
Re: "Allergies" or simply a mere cold?
« Reply #14 from previous page: April 18, 2005, 11:25:38 AM »
@ Karlos

Your first link is to do with the findings of paediatric asthma suppression in the presence of parasitic worm infestation. They concentrate mainly on the large arcaris roundworm. They haven't reached a conclusion about hookworm:

"..Similar, although nonsignificant, associations were found for hookworm (adjusted odds ratio, 0.6; 95% confidence interval, 0.2 to 1.8), but there was no suggestion of any relation to Trichuris infection.."

and

"..We conclude that Ascaris and possibly hookworm infection protects against wheeze in young Ethiopian children.."

Okay, you can scratch that link because it doesn't help your case. It neither defines nor promotes the effect of hookworm on an asthma sufferer. In addition to that, take note of their findings as regards the Trichuris infection (my good mate the pig whip worm, which I gave you a link about earlier). It has no effect here on asthma but the researchers at Iowa University have data that supports its effect in suppressing IBS. This to me indicates a parasite may be good for one immunological disorder but not for another. Secondly these are observations in Ethiopian children who already have the infection, unlike the research done in Iowa. Observing a hookworm effect (one that I am not convinced of, mind you) is a far cry to setting up protocols for the deliberate infection of an individual with hookworm. It's not only too-big a jump but is likely to earn anyone who tries it (without depending on formal research) a clip around the earhole from the medical community. Thirdly (and most importantly) any research to do with the effects of hookworm infection in children is a dead-end in terms of rolling out hookworm treatment for adults. This is because hookworm infestation in children is a known danger and can result in death, fancy diet or no. You can get that information out of the very first link I posted in my first response.

The next link you gave me, you say 'A PDF article I didn't completely read.' I don't blame you I also don't want to pay $37.50 for the full article, especially when it is about intestinal parasites in general and has no mention  of hookworm in the abstract. Chances are you would spend $37.50 and have nothing to show for it. Scratch that link then.

Your last link is the Blackwell Synergy one about parasite immunology. Again I don't know if you only read the abstract (because you have to pay for the full article) but I am unimpressed by the abstract. The body's immune response to the hookworm may be interesting to some, but there are no specific benefits outlined in the abstract. Could it be that this is more about the body's resistance to parasites rather than any perceived benefit of the parasite, in this case the hookworm? That is the feeling I got from the abstract.

Lastly, you and I both know that the number of hits in Google is not a statistical tool. If it was, it would be in my favour because when I enter medicinal leeches I get 20,200 hits. By comparison a mere 544 would seem insignificant. (I could argue that they ARE insignificant if they are of the same quality as the links you have already provided)
 Edit: I would be well-entitled to say 'I guess you didn't google too hard' ;-)

Let me conclude with this: since we don't know what allergies our fellow Amigans suffer from, and since there is no medical documentation to support the safe administration of hookworms to allergy sufferers, and also no proof that said administration will alleviate the symptoms, it is not wise to advocate that these people infect themselves with hookworms.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2005, 11:34:58 AM »
X-Ray

I have no idea why you are ragging my ass on this one. I only relayed the notion from an interesting documentary I saw about it. I'm not a medic of any kind, therefore I can't counter argue you. Why not take up the debate with those people who are looking at it?

FInally, I never said google was a statistical tool. It was a response to the fact that you said you could not find *any* links about it. I just posted a few from the top, in case they might shed any light on the issue.

Jeez, dude, go pick a fight with someone qualified :-P
int p; // A

Offline JaXanim

• Show only replies by JaXanim
    • http://www.intuitionbase.com/waveguide/home.html
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2005, 12:19:16 PM »
@Wayne,

Has anyone mentioned Dust Mites?

One of the commonest causes of the snuffles. Maybe your bed just went critical?

Cheers,

JaX
Be inspired! It\\\'s back!

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2005, 12:36:45 PM »
JaX

Amazingly, no.  My house is 99% carpeted, so who knows.  I'll look into it, so thanks!

Wayne

Offline JaXanim

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2005, 04:22:15 PM »
@Wayne

I'd suspect the bed/matress. A typical bed is home to a million or so of these critters and you did say you awake with the snuffles.

Cheers,

JaX

[Edit: Just to rub it in, these mites (plus their debris)can constitute 25% of the weight of a old pillow! Jees!]

Want More on Dust Mites? Read This.

Offline metalman

• Show only replies by metalman
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2005, 04:00:51 AM »

Wayne wrote:
JaX

Amazingly, no.  My house is 99% carpeted, so who knows.  I'll look into it, so thanks!

Wayne

Any home with carpet has dust mites, thats why I suggested changing the air-conditioning filters.
Lan astaslem
The Peacemaker

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2005, 01:11:27 PM »
I actually change the filters monthly.  I actually washed all my bedclothes yesterday and steam cleaned all the floors.  Didn't seem to make a whole lot of difference, but I do need to buy some new pillows today.

Wayne

Offline JaXanim

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2005, 02:55:40 PM »
@metalman

And for that couple of million in the bed....?

Makes yer think, eh!

JaX