Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I'm home :)  (Read 2063 times)

Description:

Offline Small_Bitey_ThingTopic starter

• Show only replies by Small_Bitey_Thing
I'm home :)
« on: May 12, 2015, 10:59:07 AM »
Hello everyone.

So, long story with a warm and fuzzy ending.

When I was a kid I bought a second-hand A1200 and got rather attached to it. I called it Marvin, after Marvin the Paranoid Android, and it became my best friend. Some kids have a particular fluffy toy that scares the monsters away and I had a slightly battered computer instead because I was an odd kid.
In an effort to make Marvin look cool, I spray-painted the case silver and used a green metallic pen to colour in the bit where it says Amiga.

Over the years, the once huge Amiga community in the area faded away until I was the last one left. Just me and Marvin the Paranoid A1200. In the middle of nowhere, with very few people around me no internet access, I thought I was the last person anywhere who still gave a damn about the Amiga.

Marvin eventually broke down and I didn't have the parts or the knowledge to repair it, (I'm not exactly tech-literate) but I kept it anyway. I couldn't bear to part with it. I told myself that one day I'd find someone who could help me to get Marvin working again.
A couple of years later, bad things happened and I was separated from Marvin. I was pretty upset/heartbroken but mentally said my goodbyes. That was when I gave up and bought a PC. It was the sad end of an era for me.

I moved from the utter wilderness to a village, got internet access, got a job. Occasionally wiffled on about Amigas to anyone who would listen. Never missed an opportunity to tell someone why Windows is inferior to Workbench.
And then someone gave me a box of what they referred to as Old Computer Junk. The first thing I saw when I opened the box was an A1200 in very good condition, only missing its floppy drive. I was a bit thrilled. In my excitement I made a noise like a teenage girl at a pop concert, grabbed it, and then dropped it in shock because of what was immediately underneath it.
Another A1200. Very battered. At some point in its life, someone had spray-painted the case silver and used a green metallic pen to colour in the bit where it says Amiga. Hello Marvin. Long time no see. I might have cried a bit. A lot.

And then whilst looking for spare parts and possible help to refurbish my box of Amigas I found that there is still a thriving Amiga community and I'm far from being the last. Which is the best news I've had in ages. Being the last of the Amiga users was lonely and depressing.

So anyway, hi. I'm so damn glad to have found out that you lot exist.
They used to call me the Guru... Because there was clearly something wrong with me.

Offline zipper

Re: I'm home :)
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 01:57:03 PM »
Welcome!

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 01:59:06 PM »
We only give the illusion of existing, as the people in the Matrix; instead corporate computers in Panem use our bodies to generate heat and electricity while giving us delusions of typing posts in forum threads that hint at sarcasm, irony, and pitiful excuses at humor.

Now where is that damn submarine?

Offline paul1981

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 10:53:40 PM »
Welcome home, Small Bitey Thing.
Welcome home, Marvin.
Oh, don't worry about Dan...he's only talking about himself. He's ever so slightly stark raving mad. :)

Tbh, we thought we were alone here on Amiga.org...but I am really glad to see one more new user. We seem to lose more members here than we gain.

I loved the story, and even more so knowing it's true.
So what are your plans for Marvin and his brother? Oh, and it's a bonus to meet another Amiga user who believes their Amiga's to be male and not female (check out the poll on the front page!).

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 12:45:00 AM »
I don't really exist either, I'm a game of Sim City that was left running decades ago, developed sentience and escaped onto the internet...

I think I have to at least try to get Marvin the possibly possessed A1200 repaired now that it's gone Homeward Bound/Pet Semetary on me. There are two small bits missing from the motherboard but all of the chips are still there and they look ok. I'll have to show it to someone who knows more than me and get their opinion, really.
I've already got the second A1200 up and running with a large quantity of stuff from Amigakit. I intend to add as many upgrades and modifications as possible, which is going to be a bit of a learning curve but I'm too bloody stubborn to not do it.

I tend to think of A1200s as male and A500s as female.
But what is the sexuality of the Amiga? If I put my A1200 alone in a room with an A500, will I return to find a nest of little Amiga smartphones, or is Marvin Gaye? (Badum tsh!)
They used to call me the Guru... Because there was clearly something wrong with me.

Offline danbeaver

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 02:13:38 AM »
Well the A500 being an older female in your scenario would have to be a Cougar, wouldn't she?

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 10:17:43 AM »
And here was me hoping he'd settle down with a nice A3000.