Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Greetings and Thank You!  (Read 1924 times)

Description:

Offline VicSupremeUSRTopic starter

• Show only replies by VicSupremeUSR
Greetings and Thank You!
« on: September 27, 2012, 12:11:54 PM »
Hello,

I am a retired senior Amiga user having enjoyed a 1000 then a 2000 then a 3000. I was very much looking forward to a new 4000 when Commodore died and broke my heart! :cry:

Commodore and the Amiga returning is a prayer come true! My plans are to get a new Vic-Slim (the Supreme version) as soon as I can, but I might have to wait when my very limited financial situation allows it. :D

The case on the Vic-Slim is beautiful and reminds me of the CBM-128. (I had one of those too, a true "dyed in the wool" CBM user.)

Later I plan on adding a USB DVD drive. (I will be using a LCD TV as a monitor as well as a TV.)

Thank you for having this wonderful website to help support my favorite computer of all time!

VicSupremeUSR (hopefully soon!)

Offline djos

• Show only replies by djos
    • http://users.adam.com.au/djorlc/
Re: Greetings and Thank You!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 12:20:31 PM »
SPAM much?

*facepalm*
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1220 16Mhz 128MB w/ RTC, 4GB CF-HDD, Roland MT-32 MIDI Synthesiser
Amiga 500 w/ KS2.05, 1Mb Chip-Ram, CF-IDE w/4MB Fast-Ram, FDD Boot Selector, HxC RevC Floppy emulator
Commodore 64 w/ 1541 Ultimate-II inc Tape Adapter, JiffyDOS, 1541 Disk Drive, 1531 Datasette, Flyer Net Modem

Offline Akiko

• Show only replies by Akiko
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 12:37:28 PM »
Quote from: VicSupremeUSR;709524

Thank you for having this wonderful website to help support my favorite computer of all time!

VicSupremeUSR (hopefully soon!)

I doubt you will find much support for CUSA and their products on this website, better to check out their sales forums directly.  

http://forums.commodore.net/forum.php

Offline Kesa

• Ninja Fruit Slasher
    • Show only replies by Kesa
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 12:38:17 PM »
It is a good thing you joined Amiga.org as we can warn you about being scammed by C=USA. The Vic slim is a sham. It is pretending to be something it is not. Please do your research before you spend any money. When you do this you will see it is just a PC in a wedge case design that has no relations with the original vic. You would be better off buying a Morphos or AOS4.x machine instead.
Even my cat doesn\'t like me.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 12:38:39 PM »
Vic Slim is a commodity PC running Linux that you're paying 2x what you could buy it from another source without the "Commodore" stamp of approval.

If you're looking to get a throwback to your old times running C= machines, I doubt you'll get it with this.

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 01:14:08 PM »
Hi & welcome back VicSupremeUSR:)

As you can see from the warnings so far the offerings from CUSA might not be what you require if you are hoping to recreate the feeling of your old classic Amigas.
Today the classic Amiga experience on modern hardware can be enjoyed via either AmigaOS, AROS, and MorphOS.
Each has it's pros & cons but do your research and ask questions as that's why Amiga forums like this exist !

Either way welcome back and I hope you enjoy your newly found free time with your chosen new 'Amiga'
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 01:30:59 PM by klx300r »
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline spirantho

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 01:23:10 PM »
Welcome to the Asylum, VicSupremeUsr. You may wish to change your nick-name though. :) The Vic Supreme is a standard case with a "Commodore" badge on and a doubled price-tag.

As mentioned by various others, AmigaOS 4 now runs on its own hardware, MorphOS (an Amiga-like OS that's also very good) runs on old PowerMacs, and AROS runs on x86, but the "Commodore" that you may have found out about are nothing whatsoever to do with the Commodore you remember, they just bought the name and are using it to make a hefty profit on bog-standard PCs.
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!

Offline VicSupremeUSRTopic starter

• Show only replies by VicSupremeUSR
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 01:47:09 PM »
Thanks for helping me to better understand what the Vic-Slim really is. I will look into the systems you mention and consider purchasing one.

(I have been using Cloanto and the AmiKit configuration of WINUAE to run Amiga OS 3.9.)