Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hello from Australia  (Read 16974 times)

Description:

Offline stefcep2

• Show only replies by stefcep2
Re: Hello from auatralia
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 05:30:47 AM »
I think I know what sound you mean, I had a high pitched squeak on a drive.  The mechanical spin mechanism is wearing out.  Get another drive.

Offline Fairdinkem

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 07:32:38 AM »
I'm an Aussie user also, I live in Victoria, I own a v1.2 Amiga 500, 2 x A1200's one is towered and I have a Pegasos 2 running AmigaOS 4.1 update 2 and MorphOS 2.7

Offline Cammy

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2011, 08:17:15 AM »
Welcome back into the fold, lunithy! I'm in the Northern Rivers area too, so I would love to help you out if you need anything.

If your A2000 has a SCSI card in it, I think since it's pretty hard to get decent SCSI drives for them now you might be better off buying a SCSI memory card reader. These will let you mount and boot from SD, CF and other smart media cards, which are faster to load things from than most old hard drives and you can pick up new ones at K-Mart or Big W. I don't use an A2000 myself, but I have PCMCIA SD card readers for my A1200 and A600 and couldn't do without them. They also make it really easy to transfer data from a PC to the Amiga. You can order one from here: http://a4000t.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68&products_id=184&zenid=55e0eddb694bed9b4883cd70b3c5adaa

I'm not sure what the noise is but it's probably the hard drive or the power supply, hopefully it's the hard drive because it's easier to replace and you can still back it up.

What kind of displays are you using for the Amigas? Many of us are using LCDs these days with the help of affordable S-Video adapters and more expensive (but worth it) flicker fixers, both of which are still in production and being sold in online stores.

If you don't have much software for the Amigas, I can help you out. There are some pretty good pre-installed Workbench distributions out there that you could install (ClassicWB and AmigaSYS), and something you'll really want to get is WHDLoad so you can play all your favourite games and demos from the hard drive instead of unreliable floppies.

If you don't have Kickstart 3.1 or a ROM switcher for the A2000 I could maybe help you out too. 3.1 and 1.3 on a switcher is the best all-round combo for running the latest software as well as backwards compatibility for old games, although with those A500s as well you won't have much of a problem there.

Anyway, feel free to ask anything and we'll try to help out. I hope you'll get lots more enjoyment from your machines like I do. :)
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

Offline tasmanian guy

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by tasmanian guy
    • http://www.amigaformat.com
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 10:24:55 AM »
Hi and welcome to Amiga.org

I'm in the far south in Tasmania!  I have a CD32, Amiga 1200 in a rack and a Mac Mini with a trial version of Morphos.

I have over 100 original Amiga games, just about all books on Programming Amos (quite a few issues of the Aussie Amos Newsletter) and in the process of getting every single issue of Amiga Format and the annuals, have issues 1 to 96 and 136 (having spent about $300 on doing this, I must be an Amiga nut).  I'm the owner of www.amigaformat.com (currently with no hosting) and will be in the process of scanning almost 100 magazines in the next couple of months to pdf format.  

Enjoy your stay, you're in good company!
Amiga 1200 1U Rack project

Offline lunithyTopic starter

• Show only replies by lunithy
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2011, 11:24:38 AM »
It is hard to describe it makes a high pitch singing that fades in and out a bit with no key bored it got chucked out apparently:angry:  or monitor just used a tv with mono for black and wight to check it booted up I have never used it long,The 2000 is in bits at the moment as I was trying to source another drive with no luck.
I put some pics up in the gallery of HD controller board I think I know the 500 way better:confused: but the 2000 has me intrigued,
Thanks again for the greets things are looking up already:afro:
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 11:51:13 AM by lunithy »

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2011, 02:56:44 PM »
Welcome aboard. Another Aussie here, although from Victoria.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline J-Golden

• TOP SECRET USER!!!
    • Show only replies by J-Golden
    • http://about.me/J.Golden
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2011, 03:40:39 PM »
I tried looking for your pics in under your name and it says there are none!  Did you post them on A.ORG (the lazy way to say Amiga.ORG ;) ) or on another site?

OH!  And if Cammy is in your neighborhood, you are set for life!  She is an avid Amigan, game maker extraordinare and an all around good person too. :D
AMIGA: (NOUN) THE FIRST COMPUTER THAT BRIDGED THE GAP BETWEEN HUMANITY AND TECHNOLOGY.

I'm a dyslectic, phonetic spelling English Major. It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!:roflmao:

WWBD?

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2011, 05:58:36 PM »
Quote from: J-Golden;642163
I tried looking for your pics in under your name and it says there are none!  Did you post them on A.ORG (the lazy way to say Amiga.ORG ;) ) or on another site?

OH!  And if Cammy is in your neighborhood, you are set for life!  She is an avid Amigan, game maker extraordinare and an all around good person too. :D
I put some pics up in the gallery

and yes I,m going to need some help to get this A2000 up and running.

Offline Cammy

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2011, 12:30:46 AM »
You gotta remove that battery before it explodes!!!

I lost two A2000s that way, and many others have too. :(

If you're handy with a soldering iron you can replace them, but in any case it should be taken off before it starts to swell up and one day you turn it on and it smells funny.

Are there any RAM sticks on your A2091 card? You should be able to fit up to 8MB RAM on there, which would be plenty to turn the A2000 into a useful gaming machine and also perfect for classic applications. I use an A600 with some extra RAM and the stock 7Mhz 68000, and it's a fine computer.

Black & white is no good, you're welcome to have a spare RF Modulator of mine if you like, it plugs into the RGB port and gives you regular colour Composite-out. I have a couple of spares since I use S-Video adapters from http://amigamaniac.com (an Amiga hardware manufacturer and wholesale seller located in our own state).

I wish I had a spare SCSI hard drive to give you but those things aren't easy to come by. Many people with old SCSI-based Amigas and clasic Macs (who also used SCSI) have had to deal with a lack of SCSI drives for a while, so the arrival of these SCSI smart-card readers in the Mech Ware online shop has really saved a lot of us. It sits inside the second floppy drive bay and lets you insert up to five smart cards at once, and even one of them (at around 4GB anyway) would be plenty big enough to store nearly everything you'd need on the old Amiga.

You could also keep an eye out for a SCSI CD/DVD drive which will work fine on the A2000 with the right filesystem installed (which I can help you with if you decide to do it).
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad

Get AmigaOS

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2011, 12:43:04 AM »
Quote from: Cammy;642272
You gotta remove that battery before it explodes!!!

I lost two A2000s that way, and many others have too. :(
My A2000 is leaking acid everywhere but I donno how to rip the damn battery out without breaking something. :confused:

Houston really needs some Amiga user groups like we had back in the olden days.
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

Offline Surf's Up

• Show only replies by Surf's Up
Re: Hello from Australia
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2011, 01:28:18 AM »
Hi , I'm from Oz too! Over here in Morphett Vale , SA.

Just signed up for site myself though been hovering around for quite a while.

Currently running -

Amiga 1200/HD on 1084S monitor
Amiga500 on TV for those games that won't work on the A1200 AGA chipset.

Also have another 4 A500's in the cupboard and an A600 too.

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2011, 01:35:54 AM »
Quote from: Surf's Up;642285
Hi , I'm from Oz too! Over here in Morphett Vale , SA.

Just signed up for site myself though been hovering around for quite a while.

Currently running -

Amiga 1200/HD on 1084S monitor
Amiga500 on TV for those games that won't work on the A1200 AGA chipset.

Also have another 4 A500's in the cupboard and an A600 too.

:eek: We're being overrun by penal colonists from upsidedown land... :eek:

@ Surf's Up

Welcome to Amiga.org, or soon to be known as OzzieAmigas.org... :)

What is it with you lot down under that you all seem to have attics or cupboards stuffed with Amiga's... :confused:

Have you been stockpiling them in preparation for a takeover bid to become the capital of Amigaland or is there something you lot know and aint telling the rest of us... ;)

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2011, 01:54:15 AM »
Quote from: lunithy;641928
Hey all have been lurking around for a while and thought it was time to say G'day :)
Had my first Amiga500 back in 86 was such a step up from 64 and 128 or the apples at school :python:
I still have about 3 500's and a 2000HD that works but that HD sing's a bit so if anyone could direct me to the relevant thread with info on keeping a 2000 going would be appreciated.
I'll post up some pics in the gallery of my old Amiga,s now that I have a place to set them up .
I,m known online as lunithy as that's the name I used in Power monger don't know why?.
Great site .....so much info I,m lost he he.

Hi,

Welcome to one of the best Amiga sites in the world. Here you will find real Amiga owners who cherish the Amiga tradition.

You just have to watch out for the few fakes here that use MAC's with an OS that looks like an Amiga OS. Some people also use PC's and a fake OS that looks like Amiga's.
Me, I use Cloanto's Amiga Forever, so that I can save my old Amiga hardware for doing more important things like saving my important data.

To me in order to be a true Amiga user you have to own an Amiga, not a make believe one.

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline yakumo9275

• Show only replies by yakumo9275
    • http://mega-tokyo.com/blog
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2011, 01:57:10 AM »
Call yourself australian and yet dont want to stab either andy farrell or gareth powell?

Sounds like your a kiwi with dreams of being an aussie!
--/\\-[ Stu ]-/\\--
Commodore 128DCR, JiffyDOS, Ultimate 1541 II, uIEC/SD, CBM 1902A  Monitor

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2011, 07:49:38 AM »
Quote from: yakumo9275;642295
Call yourself australian and yet dont want to stab either Andy Farrell or Gareth Powell?

Sounds like your a kiwi with dreams of being an aussie!
:roflmao:I have allot of Warhawk PSN buddies that are kiwis that would find that hilarious... I was born in Darwin.

Cammy I will remove that bugger asap and the  A2091 has all it's ram
slots full from what I can tell also I have a few 520 adapters that came with 500's  will they help?

Offline Cammy

« Reply #29 from previous page: June 04, 2011, 03:43:02 PM »
Good idea, I think you can remove those batteries with some tin snips if you don't have a soldering iron.

The A520 is fine, that's the modulator I would have given you if you didn't have one yourself. They can actually be modified to have S-Video output on them if you're an electronics wiz.

Get AmigaOS