Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Back to amiga...  (Read 4156 times)

Description:

Offline NuPraptor

• Show only replies by NuPraptor
Re: Back to amiga...
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2006, 12:14:03 AM »
Hi there,

I don't think that the spirit will ever die. I only own two A500+ Systems at the moment, but I will get better Hardware as soon as possible. I had the best computertime of my life using the good ol' Amiga. Did anyone of you realize that NO x86-PC can ever emulate the Amiga-Hardware 1:1, no matter how fast it is ? It doesn't matter if you use some DualCoreExtremeIntelPentium-Thing with hundreds of thousands of MHz, you won't get the parallax scrolling of games like Turrican II+III or Lionheart running as smooth as on the Amiga on these machines, the damn VGA-Chipsets still do not support REAL smooth-scrolling of videomemory pixel by pixel. It's just beeing simulated by copying the whole video memory pixel by pixel (see DirectX-BitBlt-Function). Yeah right, there are some things like "Overlays"... forget about them, you won't get the same effect, or should I say atmosphere ? And what about the harddisks, disturbing the whole system by telling "Hi, I just want to load some things into memory so just stop everything... of course I'm a Ultra-DMA133 drive, but I still can only transfer small blocks of data into memory at a time, just to be compatible... even under Windows XP ... :madashell: "...

Nope, the system architecture of the Amiga will never be reached by any x86-PC, that's the reason I returned:

Fast 3D is not everything... SMOOTHNESS rulez...

Greez
    NuPraptor

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2006, 02:04:17 AM »
Welcome to Royston Vasey..... You'll never leave!

:-)

Offline ravnenTopic starter

• Show only replies by ravnen
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2006, 01:26:36 PM »
Hmm,
ASB Computer (in spain) seems to have blizzard ppc cards avaiable.

How is the support for ppc nowdays? I remember back in 2000 that the only thing using the ppc was quake :P

If os4.0 ever comes to a release this will only work with ppc, right?

And I have to agree with what someone said in another "back to amiga" thread.
Back in the good amiga days I had no money to buy hardware with, but now when I have the money, I lack the time to use it :)

*edit*
seemed like they had it in stock, until I tried to add it to my shopping cart.

Never mind :)

Offline _ThEcRoW

• Show only replies by _ThEcRoW
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2006, 02:02:00 PM »
Huh? where have been you sleeping the last years?.
Here on my main pc, winuae emulates any Amiga perfectly, and the games run smooth as in the real Amiga.
Of course, i too use my classics everyday and have fun with they, but the nowadays options in emulation are pretty good and awesome so i don't see the point in blaming it, why, because it's a pc?.
Have fun with your Amigas(be it Winuae, classics or ng Amigas)!!!!!.
Amiga 1200 desktop. Apollo 030/50 Mhz 8mb ram + ClassicWB + Wb 3.1
Amiga 500 + ACA500Plus + 16gb CF | ECS Power!!!
C64 DTV + Keyboard mod. Waiting for a 1541 disk ve...
Mac Mini G4 1.42Ghz 1gb OSX(tiger)/Morphos 3.7 Registered
C64mini + usb drive with loads of games...

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2006, 02:08:30 PM »
I guess people play around with amigas for different reasons.

As mentioned before, for me the fun is the hardware. My macbook with osx is a nice computer, with all the power of unix. All the good old games can be played thru uae, or simpler with scummvm and other engines.

But thats not why I started beeing interested in amiga again,

Offline mr_a500

• Show only replies by mr_a500
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2006, 03:59:30 PM »
Getting old hardware do things it's creators never chould imagine is what I like

Exactly. (well, almost exactly - I would use the word "could" instead of "chould" ;-))

I'm doing things with my A500 that I thought were completely impossible.

And I agree about the scrolling. When I tried WinUAE, the scrolling was typical Windows scrolling - utter crap. I still see the latest Windows computers running things like the "marquee" screensaver and the words scroll across the screen with a pathetic jerkiness. You'd think by 2006 - with super-powerful graphics cards - that Windows would know how to scroll as smoothly as a 1987 Amiga, but no.

Offline NuPraptor

• Show only replies by NuPraptor
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2006, 04:52:23 PM »
Hello there,

well, I haven't seen any PC (up to AMD64 FX-62) which is able to work real SMOOTH in a Windows- or Linux-Environment. Of course, they work very fast, but every x86 stucks for some milliseconds if certain things happen: Harddisk-DMA (Windows is swapping the kernel again), incoming LAN-Packets, while the connection is not 100% stable (just waiting for the next ping), output to the printer via parallelport (good ol' IRQ7). You can't tell me that your PC does not, it's simply the architecture of the southbridge (which is still running periphal-communication with 33/66 MHz) and the northbridge which can't be run at full speed on most of the systems and the kernel swapping to HDD of all O/S. Of course the delay is minimal and many people today do not realize the short stuck anymore, coz they simply are used to it.

I don't blame the PC for beeing a PC, I just tell you that on the Amiga (even with connected Hard-Drive) you do not have this stucks. That's true for an Apple with G3 800Mhz, too. Or the Sony PSX1 and PS2 (ok, consoles, I know...) but not the x86 !

Well, I didn't test a Tyan-Board with four CPUs and extended PCI-Ports and about 64 GByte of Ram so far... too expensive, but it looks very promising, it could make it... as SERVER-CLASS.

Greeeeeez
    NuPraptor

Offline DaBest

• Show only replies by DaBest
    • http://www.fennecadventures.com
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2006, 04:58:38 PM »
Welcome back. Amiga rules....for me anyway :-D
\\"Keep it simple STUPID\\"
                    \\" Keep ur AMIGA\\"
:whack:

A4000/040  Desk Top is Back up and running :rtfm:
Picasso4, X-Surf2, 1.2 GIG HD, 24x10x40 CDR, OS3.9,18 MGS of RAM

Offline TheGoose

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2006, 05:32:08 PM »
I know, I recently started hanging out here again; had the same visit to AmigaKit too. I think the scene is in a more healthy 'life after death' way of thinking now, hehe

:angel:
G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2006, 08:40:32 AM »
Got my a1200 from amigakit yesterday. It took 1 month to get here, but it was NOT amigakits fault. The customs was just a pain.

Anyway.
I am waiting to get my hands on a blizzard card, so until then I am stuck with the original 2 Mb of ram.
Os3.9 + internet was almost impossible to get up and running with that amount of memory, but textmode works.
Had to pull down the pcmcia 3com driver from aminet, drive off to work to find a pc with a floppydrive, transfer the driver (and a executable lha), drive on home again. And wuhu, I was online. Incredible!
Got irc working by telneting my server and running irssi on it :P Tried {bleep}X localy, but it was nagging me about not enought memory (as everything else).
Lynx worked fine too, in the sshell that was included with {bleep}x.
Also got my hands on a few libs i needed thru ftp to aminet (ncftp).
Looks like I remember a bit about amiga, even if it has been 7 years since I last touched one.

Great fun.

And I even have a Pegasos on it's way. But that has to do with my work (we want to use the efika in some instalations, and then I convinced my boss that I needed a pegasos to play around with :P)

Offline McVenco

• Show only replies by McVenco
    • http://www.amigascene.nl
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2006, 09:58:06 AM »

ravnen wrote:

Tried {bleep}X localy

BleepX? Either the dirty words censor on this site is working too good, or you must have named a VERY unmentionable program there.... :lol:
| A4000 | CS-MK3 060@50 | Picasso IV |
| Member of Team Amiga (tm) | FidoNet 2:286/414.18 (long ago) |
| SysOp The Missing Channel BBS | Member of AGA BBS Intl. |

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2006, 01:39:17 PM »
Hehe, well I blame the word censoring thingy, but you never know :P

Offline Andeda

• Show only replies by Andeda
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2006, 02:24:08 PM »
My oppinion is that WINUAE is working just fine, but its just not the same than a REAL Amiga,
Amiga: A computer for the creative mind.

Sam440ep 667Mhz + OS4.1
Minimig (Home made)
A1200/030
A2000/030
A500 * 3
CD32

Offline Kvist

• Show only replies by Kvist
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2006, 03:27:17 PM »
Heisann! Velkommen tilbake til Amiga! Jeg var i din situasjon, hadde ikke tatt i en amiga på flere år, så fant jeg frem A1200'n min igjen, meldte meg inn her, og nå bruker jeg den mer en noen gang!  :-D
Kult å se at det er flere å flere nordmenn her inne!
Currently owning: A couple of Windoze pc´s, A 24" Imac, 3 A500, 1 A1200 with A Blizzard 1230 IV, CF-Hd ++ and a C64.   8-)

Offline leirbag28

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2006, 12:38:18 AM »
@stopthegop

Hey...where in NYC are you?   Im in NYC....lets hang dude!
CD32 is actually the best Amiga ever made by Commodore!...

Offline AmigaSev

• Show only replies by AmigaSev
« Reply #29 from previous page: November 09, 2006, 12:45:52 PM »
Hello and welcome!
The 1200 is an awesome piece of kit (loved mine to death!)
The guys at Amigakit will look after you, top blokes!
I've gone down the console path just lately (CD32 - a 1200 without the keyboard just about!)
Hope you have many, many enjoyable hours with your 1200!
Regards,
AmigaSev.