Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hi from the biggest Newbie ever  (Read 3471 times)

Description:

Offline Morax

• Show only replies by Morax
Re: Hi from the biggest Newbie ever
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2006, 02:57:20 PM »

Lemmings is a rather old game, from the A500 time. The A500 came with 0.5 megabytes of memory but most people expanded it to a full 1MB. Since your A1200 has 2MB of memory Lemmings just thinks it's a memory expansion and lets you know that it's making use of that whopping extra 0.5MB! :)

But on the other hand, you can see that Lemmings was well programmed, since a lot of ancient games require the second 512KB to be slow mem, because of bad/short-minded programming

EDIT: I'm was too slow  :crazy:
-Nothing to see here, move along!-

Offline Agafaster

• Show only replies by Agafaster
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2006, 03:04:03 PM »
As for Lemmings, I played it a lot on the PC but want to play it again on the Amiga.

better isnt it !

I've played loads of versions, the oddest was probably the ZX Spectrum version, and the worst was the Mac version...

-edit-
nearly forgot - welcome !
\\"New Bruce here will be teaching Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud.\\"
\\"Those are all cricketers, Bruce !\\"
A1XE G3/800MHz Radeon 7000 512MB
A1200 030/25MHz 8MB

Offline amigakit

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2006, 03:04:09 PM »
The Cocolino is something you only have to invest in once though as opposed to mouse has a shorter life span.

You can tell what Kickstart ROMs you have by looking at the disk animation when you switch on the Amiga.  It should say something like Kickstart 3.0

The latest ROMs are Kickstart 3.1 - useful if you want to use bigger than 4GB hard disks or want to upgrade to AmigaOS 3.5 or 3.9
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline dawiper

• Show only replies by dawiper
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2006, 03:09:09 PM »
If games are your nr1 priority I would get the slower Blizzard 1230 card. It is much more compatible with older games. And it's plenty of speed(and mem) for all old games.
You should also get whdload( www.whdload.de ). It lets you install most games to your hd. No more disk swapping and extremly fast loading.
A1200+Apollo 030/40+32mb fast+powerflyer in custom tower

Offline Morax

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2006, 03:11:53 PM »

kiniki wrote:
Is this it? If so its pretty expensive! But maybe something for the future.

I don't know what you want to do with your Amiga, but for games, the best accelerator would be a 1230 50MHz (There are various brands of them), since then you can play 3D-games at average speeds as well, for an average price. And the 68040-based boards give problems within the original desktop case and the standard PSU. Ofcourse 68060's are also good, but just as you said, a bit expensive...

Can I tell which Kickroms I have just by opening it up?

You don't even HAVE to open it up, just boot Workbench or the Install-disk, and it will report both the Workbench and Kickstart revision. In the latter it will be 40.68 for KS3.1 or 39.106 for KS 3.0

EDIT:

amigakit wrote:
You can tell what Kickstart ROMs you have by looking at the disk animation when you switch on the Amiga.  It should say something like Kickstart 3.0

Hehe well I didn't even know that, It's been a long time since I've seen that screen  :lol:

Offline kinikiTopic starter

• Show only replies by kiniki
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2006, 03:24:51 PM »
To be honest, I want to upgrade as much as I can without having to make case modifications or move it to a tower.

I want to keep it looking normal.  :-)

Offline tonyvdb

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2006, 03:32:22 PM »
Hi Kiniki, (i'm a little late in saying this)
But Welcome to A.O. Once you have an Amiga you never want to go back. Its very addictive :-D

For playing games you won't need to update too much on the 1200 as it was built just for that purpouse a hard drive and eccelorator for starters is all you will need and you will have an awesome machine.

Have fun :-P
Amiga 2000HD Indivision ECS
Amiga 4000D towerised OS 3.1 and 3.9 on CF cards
Indivision AGA, Mediator 4000
Video Toaster 4000 Flyer v4.3 Millenium.
202gig of video drive space & 5gig audio.

Offline carls

• Show only replies by carls
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2006, 03:33:21 PM »

kiniki wrote:
To be honest, I want to upgrade as much as I can without having to make case modifications or move it to a tower.

I want to keep it looking normal.  :-)

In that case a 2.5" hard drive is almost a must, and as was said earlier go for the affordable Blizzard 1230 accellerator if you don't need the power offered by a 1260. Apparently AmigaKit has a Blizzard 1230s as well, complete with memory fitted.

If you get an accellerator, make sure it has memory fitted or that you can get a 72-pin EDO SIMM (memory module) for it. Without the extra memory an accellerator is pretty useless.
Amiga: Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2006, 03:41:21 PM »
Welcome to the Amiga world! Where are you from? There may be an Amiga usergroup, or just some local Amiga users, who can help you out with your Amiga, and lend their expertise in person.
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

Offline Morax

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2006, 03:44:56 PM »

Agafaster wrote:
As for Lemmings, I played it a lot on the PC but want to play it again on the Amiga.

better isnt it !

I've played loads of versions, the oddest was probably the ZX Spectrum version, and the worst was the Mac version...

-edit-

The C64 version was pretty weird also, with the deformed heads  :-D

Oh yeah, and a welcome to the topicposter!

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2006, 03:46:31 PM »
Hi Xeron..

I'm actually not that far from you.

I'm in not so sunny Bristol!

« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2006, 03:48:15 PM »
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Agafaster wrote:
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

better isnt it !

-edit-

The C64 version was pretty weird also, with the deformed heads  

Oh yeah, and a welcome to the topicposter!

--------------------

The only thing about the amiga Lemmings is that it seems to be sitting up the screen... everything else fills the screen, but the play area on lemmings seems to start a quarter up..

Odd

Offline jkirk

• Show only replies by jkirk
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2006, 03:49:20 PM »
I've actually never bought an A1200 without a hard drive so I don't know if the cradle was shipped with non-HD models as well.

unless it had one in there at one time i wouldn't epect the cradle. i believe they were sold seperately for non-hd units.
The only stupid question is a question not asked.  

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can\'t stand one bit of competition.

Offline amigakit

« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2006, 03:49:30 PM »
Does it go into NTSC mode (about a 7% smaller screen) than PAL

You can test this: hold down both mouse buttons while resetting to go into the Early StartUp Menu - you can toggle between NTSC and PAL by hitting the Space bar. Watch how the screen is affected by the different modes  
www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2006, 03:50:38 PM »

amigakit wrote:
Does it go into NTSC mode (about a 1/5th smaller screen)

Ah that could be it!

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
« Reply #44 from previous page: March 23, 2006, 03:53:03 PM »
Lemmings never did fill the screen on PAL systems... it left the lower 56 lines blank. Same for quite a few games, like Weird Dreams for example.
Playstation Network ID: xeron6