Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Agian  (Read 3299 times)

Description:

Offline Silver_FBiTopic starter

• Show only replies by Silver_FBi
New Agian
« on: February 27, 2006, 12:50:36 PM »
Just come back to the amiga, and like hell can i gaet it to do what i want(still the best computer in the world EVER) im have trouble getting the amiga an pc to talk i think its the amiga end, i have AMI-PC an every time mouse click at amiga end it says "unable to open your tool 'installer'" now its been a long time an i cant remember the system that well, + i never thought of linking back then, i know its not much help but its just an A1200 with extra mem NOTHING else... . . . . . . HELP!. will it take an 10Gig hd i know wot leads i need.
Fix it, till it\\\'s BROKE!

Offline Boot_WB

• Show only replies by Boot_WB
    • http://www.hullchimneyservices.co.uk
Re: New Agian
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 01:13:53 PM »
Hello, welcome to Amiga.org.

If there was a rank of first postings on A.org, that would probably come very high :-) .  The installation of the OS doesn't copy the installer program from the floppy to your hard drive during installation.

Assuming you're using os3.0/os3.1 You need to copy 'installer' from your 'install' disk to the c drawer on your system partition.

Again: welcome to Amiga.org

If you're just using the supplied file system with OS3.x you will want to split the hard drive into partitions of no more than 4GB.  However, you're probably better off with a 150MB - 500MB Workbench partition (make this bootable, install the OS into here), a Work: partition of 1-4GB (install all of your programs here) and whatever you want to do with the rest of the space.  I have a 2GB partition called My_documents: (guess what goes here) and another called Storage: for keeping all my downloaded zip files, backups etc.

For notworking the PC-Amiga you may want to try samba (available at aminet (http://www.aminet.net)) along with a tcp/ip stack such as genesis or miami.

There's a good guide for configuring these at http://samba.amigaworld.net/ .

Out of interest, which version of the operating system ar you running?
Mac Mini G4 (1.5GHz, 64MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.6
Powerbook 5.8 (15", 1.67GHz, 128MB VRam, 1GB Ram): MorphOS 3.8.

Windows-free since 2011-2014 (Damn you Netflix!)

Re: New Agian, again
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 01:22:29 PM »
when i said NOTHING else i ment it. no hd just 1 single floppy in a stock A1200 and a AMITEK HAWK A1200 ram board so the disk i just found says, so the u mean i need a HD...!!! OH SHHHHHHHHaving cream sets me back abit i wanteded to get going. V3.0

Offline amigakit

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 01:22:51 PM »
Welcome!

www.AmigaKit.com - Amiga Reseller | Manufacturer | Developer

New Products  --   Customer Help & Support -- @amigakit

Offline Boot_WB

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 01:30:35 PM »
Ahh, from your post (ie the mention of the 10GB hard drive) I thought you had installed to a hard drive.  You can, of course, use the a1200 without - but linking it to a pc?  That may require more space than just your ram supplies.

Out of interest - what are you trying to link it to the PC for?  filesharing?  internet?  Just for fun?  
How are you physically linking it?  Are you using a serial cable?

The installer program for the most part is just used for installing to the hard drive, so.......

Re: New Agian, again, agian lol
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 01:43:52 PM »
null modem, and the idea was to convert all those amiga games an others from .adf back to were they belong so i can enjoy the amiga again an for my son to see a real computer at work as he loves the games played thourgh uae. an the 10Gig hd is 1 from an xbox as the xbox died (lucky it wernt mine)thought i might try that its free, now thinking on doing the power amiga tower job HHmmmmm. so here comes another ? it can use agp ANY card or just the voodoo all seem to have cos i got a spare 128mb nvida right here with a 16bit awe sound card. theres 4 icons they all say same thing.

Offline Boot_WB

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 01:43:54 PM »
Ahh, have just googled Ami-PC.
Serial cable connection, mounts the PC drives for use on the amiga.  
I assume there are installation/operating instructions with it?  

The website suggests you can just run it from the floppy though, you shouldn't need to run anything which requires the 'installer' program.

Offline Boot_WB

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 01:51:07 PM »
Assuming you towerise it, to use the Voodoo (versions 3-5) cards you would need a Mediator busboard.  
(Cue Amigakit with a helpful link where to buy them :-) )

There are several types of card you can use (see http://www.elbox.com/mediator_driver_guide.html for a full list) although the 3dfx Voodoo ones are the best.  NB - these are the PCI version only, not the AGP - there is no AGP slot on any amiga 1200 busboard at the moment.

However, the tower alone will cost you £50 at least, the mediator another £75-150 on top of that, and you're going to want an acclerator with that (another £50-200) - depending what you are using your amiga for of course.

For now - assuming AMI-PC doesn't fill your expectations - you're best off sticking a hard drive in the amiga, and seeing where your needs/appetites take you naturally.  
You already have a ram expansion, that's plenty for the old games you are playing through UAE.

Offline _ThEcRoW

• Show only replies by _ThEcRoW
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006, 02:01:09 PM »
For graphic cards, you will need a pci expansion board such as mediator pci and it's limited to pci video cards, no agp. The voodoo works very well on the mediator(pci voodoo) and allow you to play 3d accelerated games, but you can't have it on the a1200 case, you will need to towerize it.
For the hd issue, you can use sfs wich is a better file system and not have the 4gb limit on partitions, as well as a more secure file system.
Amiga 1200 desktop. Apollo 030/50 Mhz 8mb ram + ClassicWB + Wb 3.1
Amiga 500 + ACA500Plus + 16gb CF | ECS Power!!!
C64 DTV + Keyboard mod. Waiting for a 1541 disk ve...
Mac Mini G4 1.42Ghz 1gb OSX(tiger)/Morphos 3.7 Registered
C64mini + usb drive with loads of games...

Offline alexh

• Show only replies by alexh
    • http://thalion.atari.org
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2006, 02:08:34 PM »
STOP dont buy a tower or anything like that.

All you need is a 2.5" IDE hard drive, and you could get away with the 3.5" one you already have. You'll need to take the computer to bits a little to fit it, but if you are happy to do that, all you will need are one or two things.

To use a 2.5" drive all you will need is a 40-pin IDE cable.

To use a 3.5" drive you will need a cable which converts the 40 pin 2.5" IDE connector in the Amiga into a 44 pin 3.5" IDE connector AND A floppy disk power splitter with Molex connector. 2.5" drives get their power down the ribbon cable, 3.5" drives need a power connector.

Also you will need to get hold of a copy of Workbench disks (especially the installer disk). Check to see which kickstart you have (3.0 / 3.1) and then get the right one off ebay or wherever.

To start with, the best tool for you is Amiga Explorer

http://www.amigaforever.com/ae/

It's available on it's own or as part of Amiga Forever.

Once installed on the Amiga, using the serial cables you already own, you'll be able to write your ADF files back by simply dragging them files to the DF0: icon in windows.

(It will take a long time 10mins+ to make a single disk using just a serial cable)

To get Amiga Exporer onto the Amiga you'll need to be able to boot to Workbench 3.0 and use a 720kbyte dos floppy disk in windows. You must have done something similar to get AMI-PC to your Amiga.

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2006, 02:13:02 PM »
Bloody hell so price didnt drop with age then, an yes uae as all amiga softwear is on my pc in .adf form so far, i just wanna push it all over to the amiga a use that way as it takes up 17.9Gig of pc hd so far so need big drive, i c amigakit.com do a 40Gig does it use it as 1 large drive or does it have to be many.  

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2006, 02:14:41 PM »
got Amiga Exporer an it wont connect. says it cant find amiga check amiga setup end but cant find a thing.

Offline alexh

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2006, 02:19:42 PM »
You running the Amiga Explorer program at the Amiga end?

You've definately got a "lap-link" serial cable (crossover) and not a straight through?

You've not connected the Serial Cable at the Amiga end into the wrong port? There are three ports on the back of an Amiga parallel port,  serial port, floppy port and they are all  25-pin D socket, two are even the same gender!. I always used to get them mixed up.

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2006, 02:27:27 PM »
oops no. guess wot its oh B***S i cant find it, pc easy as pie amiga the old days this S**TS well hard hope my mem comes back got any other idea's. an no the pc only has 1 comm port its an up to date board, an yes it the right cable.

Offline alexh

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2006, 02:33:10 PM »
"Amiga Explorer can self-install to the Amiga over the serial cable without requiring any additional software, but the Amiga must be able to boot first (e.g. with a Workbench disk)"[/b]

Wow I didnt know that... so if you have a REAL Amiga Workbench floppy disk, stick it in the Amiga and boot to workbench.

Get Amiga Explorer is installed on the PC.

Dunno if you need to tell Amiga-Explorer to self-install on the PC GUI before you can use it, or if it just does it when you use it?