Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hello Group, Re-born amiga user & A1200 os upgrade options  (Read 1074 times)

Description:

Offline joth495Topic starter

• Show only replies by joth495
Hello,

I am an ex A600 owner and during a drunken session on ebay have bagged myself an Amiga 1200....

Any way, to keep my wife happy (She is fed up of me buying stuff off ebay!) I promised to make good use of my new A1200!!

Just wondering what operating system upgrades could be considered, I have already purchased a scsi adaptor, scsi cd rom and an 8 MB Ram expansion!! I have been reading alot how, under various ownership the Amiga OS has been developed...

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Offline cgutjahr

• Show only replies by cgutjahr
Re: Hello Group, Re-born amiga user & A1200 os upgrade options
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 10:33:46 PM »
There are not that much OS upgrade options, unless you're willing to invest some serious money: Later OS revisions require more horsepower than you have available.

With your setup, I wouldn't recommend anything higher than OS 3.0 or 3.1 (there are only minor differences between the two, no need to upgrade from 3.0 to 3.1).

OS 3.5 and 3.9 require at least a 68030 CPU, AmigaOS 4 requires a PPC CPU (hard to get, very expensive).

However, you can have quite some fun customising and improving your OS with freeware hacks and add-ons from Aminet:

BlazeWCP and FBlit improve the performance, NewIcons gives you access to much more beautiful icons, Toolmanager or similar programs enhance your Workbench with Mac-like "docks" or Windows-like "Task bars", there's a wide range of more powerful file managers available (DirectoryOpus 4, Dirmaster) etc.