Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Getting back into action  (Read 993 times)

Description:

Offline wokkelTopic starter

• Show only replies by wokkel
    • http://marcel.dyskolus.com
Getting back into action
« on: September 05, 2004, 09:59:55 PM »
Hi,

I've been an Amiga fanatic since 1991 (bought my first B2000 back then). Including a bridge-board. I came from a C64 assembly background but I decided on C for the Amiga (bought Lattice-C 5.1 for a lot of money) and coded furiously.

Later when I started my comp.sci. study at the University I found that the Amiga thought me all the good things (hardware and OS wise), so a lot of classes were truly boring. One thing I remember is an assignment I did on the Amiga: a resource monitor for a course in operating systems. The resource monitor would keep a tab on all resources and free them when the application forgot.

During my study I got into Unix, then Linux came along together with a cheap 386... there went the chance to buy an accellerator for my amiga (couldn't justify it).

Fast forward to 2004, I wrote a Java virtual machine which also worked (a bit) on my Palm (a 68k platform). I started thinking about a decent 68k platform which I had lying around: my Amiga!

Bought another (yeah, I kept the first) B2000 with an accellerator (gvp combo 030-25 full with a working MMU). And installed Linux over a serial cable (took a few weeks, only 5Mb fastmem..).

Just last weekend I bought an X-Surf and OS3.9 and am trying to get my Amiga back into full action as a development platform.

I never knew that Amiga was still so alive all this time!

So, I'm having some troubles (see another post for that) but sincerely hope that the combined Amiga intelligence on this forum will get me back into action.

Todo list for my Amiga stuff
1) Get my CD recorder working
2) Get my X-surf working
3) Swap the batteries
4) Find some cheap GVP sims
5) Get an 060 system working (either a new accellerator
for my B2000 or an A1200 tower as hardware seems more readiliy available).

I hope I can help people on this forum too, to rediscover their hidden Amiga love :-D

Offline Holley

• Show only replies by Holley
    • http://www.Front-Runners.net
Re: Getting back into action
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2004, 10:23:53 PM »
Hello, welcome :-)

#1 check out MakeCD or BurnIt, I have the former and it works nicely.
#2 Have a look for the Sana2 drivers for the XSurf, then you can use the Genesis IP stack that comes with OS3.9 with it.
#3 Make this #1 ;-)
#4 Good luck with that! Maybe someone here can help, if not a Wanted on www.AmiBench.com does wonders.
#5 Not sure here, there are '060 colutions for the A2000 that do crop up once in a while, and towering an A1200 takes alot of work - it might be worth holding out for something that'll go right in.
\\"Sex, drugs and rock n\\\' roll are very good for you\\" - Ian Dury