Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I have often heard it said  (Read 3458 times)

Description:

Offline B00tDiskTopic starter

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
I have often heard it said
« on: April 23, 2012, 07:31:53 PM »
That the high price commanded by Amiga systems is an indication of their quality.

It's a puzzling logic trick, so I have to wonder...by that reasoning, this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-BOXED-APPLE-LISA-1-COMPUTER-SYSTEM-COMPLETE-RESTORED-WORKING-/160788014179?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256fb66463

is like, 20 or 30 times better than any Amiga. :D :D :D

(And I know that's not so! :) )
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

Re: I have often heard it said
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 08:15:34 PM »
Think there's a lot more wealthy Mac users than there are wealthy Amiga users, I bet it'll sell.  (also Mac users are probably more crazy, but I'll leave that statement up for debate, lol)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

Offline outlawal2

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 08:21:41 PM »
Considering the Apple Lisa and it's truly rare status and place in history I think the asking price is probably something that a true collector would be willing to pay...   As for the $700 to ship the item, I think they seller should be 'nutted for trying that little bit of crap...

I really get tired of Ebay jerk-offs trying to rip people off with exorbitant shipping costs in the hopes that prospective buyers won't look at the shipping costs before they bid...

SCUM - BAG

Offline tone007

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 08:28:17 PM »
Quote from: outlawal
As for the $700 to ship the item, I think they seller should be 'nutted for trying that little bit of crap...

I imagine it'd cost quite a bit to insure the shipment for its full price (if that's even possible...)
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline CritAnime

• Previous Life Time Member
    • Show only replies by CritAnime
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 08:30:39 PM »
if I was gonna spend that much on a computer I would go and collect it myself. Screw postage.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 08:51:22 PM »
I'll bet my left plum he gets what he's asking for it.

The Lisa was a turd of a machine, but the circumstances of the release and the hush hush way Apple tried to smooth over the whole fiasco, real genuine Lisa 1's with no alterations would be extremely rare.  Numbers matching on the box helps inflate the price as well, and the Lisa was an *extremely* expensive machine back when they were new.

Couple years one of the 200 Apple 1's went up on a Christie's auction, and it sold for £133,250.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9197844/Apple_1_goes_for_213K_in_Christie_s_auction

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 08:52:49 PM »
Quote from: outlawal2;690199
Considering the Apple Lisa and it's truly rare status and place in history I think the asking price is probably something that a true collector would be willing to pay...   As for the $700 to ship the item, I think they seller should be 'nutted for trying that little bit of crap...

I really get tired of Ebay jerk-offs trying to rip people off with exorbitant shipping costs in the hopes that prospective buyers won't look at the shipping costs before they bid...

SCUM - BAG

Rare? The Lisa? Not at all. In fact, when the Mac took off they couldn't give those things away.
So...

Make a few modifications and re-badge it as the Mac XL.

This is NOT a collector's item.

If you think it is, can I interest you in an Apple III?

This turd (along with the a fore to mentioned Apple III and the Newton) prove that Apple can design some real duds.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline paul1981

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 08:53:54 PM »
Wow... has capstan driven disk drives!
I bet you the reason why one of those drives don't work is because of a stretched or sticky belt.

Offline B00tDiskTopic starter

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 10:42:42 PM »
Quote from: outlawal2;690199

SCUM - BAG

This is lulzworthy, please never quit.  Check the asking price.

Twenty-four thousand dollars.  That is the price of a new car.  That is a down-payment on a mid-sized upper middle class home.  That is a few semester's tuition at an average college.  That's a few dozen acres of land in Montana (or more, depending).

If I paid that much for a computer, odds are that $700 more doesn't make a damn bit of difference.  Moreover, it includes insurance (most likely) for a nigh-utterly irreplaceable piece of computing history.

I think whoever buys it can cough up the $700.  If the asking price was $150?  Yeah you might have a point.
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 10:54:03 PM »
With the Twiggy floppy drives?  In good condition...

I wouldn't pay that, but it wouldn't surprise me if it sells...

desiv
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 11:54:23 PM »
That's a very expensive doorstop. I understand the history bit but it's still utterly ridiculous when all is said and done. I just hope whoever sells it spends the cash on something worthwhile.
Falling into a dark and red rage.

Offline Digiman

• Show only replies by Digiman
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 12:15:58 AM »
Quote from: Tripitaka;690229
That's a very expensive doorstop. I understand the history bit but it's still utterly ridiculous when all is said and done. I just hope whoever sells it spends the cash on something worthwhile.

Plastic surgery, pectoral implants and penis extension? :lol:

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 12:40:01 AM »
I checked. He's serious.
Stop and think about this.
The reason there aren't any Lisa 1s left is everybody jumped at the chance to get rid of those shyt disk drives and upgrade to Lisa 2 specs.
And even that didn't sell well so they had to re-badge them as Mac XLs.
"Piece of History"!
Yeah, piece of something (good thing we didn't step in it).
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline bbond007

• Show only replies by bbond007
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 12:42:16 AM »
Quote from: B00tDisk;690192
That the high price commanded by Amiga systems is an indication of their quality.

It's a puzzling logic trick, so I have to wonder...by that reasoning, this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-BOXED-APPLE-LISA-1-COMPUTER-SYSTEM-COMPLETE-RESTORED-WORKING-/160788014179?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256fb66463

is like, 20 or 30 times better than any Amiga. :D :D :D

(And I know that's not so! :) )

with inflation, that is about what it was worth new...

Offline pwermonger

• Show only replies by pwermonger
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 12:42:26 AM »
High price tends to be due to a few things. Rarity factors in. So does usefullness to an extent why 4000s get a good price, 1200s. Why a 2000 tends to do better than a 500. But a 1000 gets a better price than a 500 though the 500 is technically better and they are similar as far as expandability (500 is actually a bit more expandable).

Though later on they were remade into Mac XLs, actual Lisa machines with the 5.25" drives are a bit rare. Lisa didnt sell well, which is why there were Lisa's to be remade into MacXLs to try to recoup costs. Is it worth $25,000? Thats just a "Buy It Now" someone decided to set for it. Since it hasnt sold its not yet worth that. You only find out worth from when it sells. I did see a C65 sell for $20,000 (at least I assume it was an actual sale since it was an auction and it ended on ebay at that price but you never know if the winner actually completed the transaction). Usually a BIN like this is someone hopeing to grab someone who doesnt really know value and make a mint on something that doesnt take that much storage space. So they can tend to hold on to it for a while in wait for the sucker.

Lisa does command a decent price due to rarity from being a poor performer therefore rare. So does the Apple III, Atari 1200XL, and Amiga 600.

Amusing anecdote is everyone says Jobs went from Xerox and took what he saw there and came up with the Mac...huge success...amazing foresight, but in truth he took what he saw at Xerox and came up with Lisa first.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 12:46:56 AM by pwermonger »