Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I have often heard it said  (Read 3451 times)

Description:

Offline pwermonger

• Show only replies by pwermonger
Re: I have often heard it said
« Reply #14 from previous page: April 24, 2012, 12:42:26 AM »
High price tends to be due to a few things. Rarity factors in. So does usefullness to an extent why 4000s get a good price, 1200s. Why a 2000 tends to do better than a 500. But a 1000 gets a better price than a 500 though the 500 is technically better and they are similar as far as expandability (500 is actually a bit more expandable).

Though later on they were remade into Mac XLs, actual Lisa machines with the 5.25" drives are a bit rare. Lisa didnt sell well, which is why there were Lisa's to be remade into MacXLs to try to recoup costs. Is it worth $25,000? Thats just a "Buy It Now" someone decided to set for it. Since it hasnt sold its not yet worth that. You only find out worth from when it sells. I did see a C65 sell for $20,000 (at least I assume it was an actual sale since it was an auction and it ended on ebay at that price but you never know if the winner actually completed the transaction). Usually a BIN like this is someone hopeing to grab someone who doesnt really know value and make a mint on something that doesnt take that much storage space. So they can tend to hold on to it for a while in wait for the sucker.

Lisa does command a decent price due to rarity from being a poor performer therefore rare. So does the Apple III, Atari 1200XL, and Amiga 600.

Amusing anecdote is everyone says Jobs went from Xerox and took what he saw there and came up with the Mac...huge success...amazing foresight, but in truth he took what he saw at Xerox and came up with Lisa first.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 12:46:56 AM by pwermonger »

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 12:59:45 AM »
Quote from: pwermonger;690237
Amusing anecdote is everyone says Jobs went from Xerox and took what he saw there and came up with the Mac...huge success...amazing foresight, but in truth he took what he saw at Xerox and came up with Lisa first.

Yep, the Palo Alto research Center never gets the full credit for its contribution.
And both Apple and Xerox tried to sell these things at >$10K until someone at Apple realized that the market was quite a bit south of that figure.
If the Lisa was introduced in 1983, then it only preceded the Amiga 1000 by two years (and the Mac only had a one year lead).

How the hell did this garbage become so successful when our systems eventually failed?
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 01:33:00 AM »
Always liked the purported dialog that went on between Jobs and Gates after they both saw (and later "borrowed) from Xerox and used it hands on, the GUI interface on the PARC/Xerox Star concept.  Jobs seemed to figure he was being ripped off by MS, when the plain fact is both of them were thieves, lol.

Jobs was pissed off when Gates brought out Windows and got into a pissing match with Gates about it, the reported conversation was:

--- snip ---
Steve Jobs: What is this? This is like doing business with a praying mantis. You get seduced, and then eaten alive afterwards?

Bill Gates: Get real, would ya? You and I are both like guys who had this rich neighbor - Xerox - who left the door open all the time. And you go sneakin' in to steal a TV set. Only when you get there, you realize that I got there first. I got the loot, Steve! And you're yellin'? "That's not fair. I wanted to try to steal it first." You're too late.
--- snip ---

Pirates of Silicon Valley is a great movie to watch if you enjoy a Hollywood spin on the early days of computing.  Can find it on YouTube in its entirety at:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWyLOKjlAKA

We can all agree the Amiga was, and still is - the best original, old school GUI interface, bar none.  Back in those days, it was truly revolutionary.  Why did it fail?  Progress, mainly - but mangled business management by C= sure didn't help.

I still remember seeing Doom on a PC right when it came out - this was just shortly after I had blown like $1700 on an accelerator card, video card, and SCSI card for my A4000.  I actually got those Amiga components rather than buy myself a newer and more reliable car, I was still a teenager then and that was a whole hell of a lot of money.  I knew the writing was on the wall right then and there :/

Offline darkage

• Show only replies by darkage
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 01:58:22 AM »
I have to say, thats an insanely great price!!!  Emphasizing on insane part of it of course! (:

Offline B00tDiskTopic starter

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 04:02:08 AM »
I love how some folks keep railing at the hardware like it can hear them across the internet and 30 years ago, like they can still buy these and have to cope with the floppy drives, or if they had the money they'd bring it home and try to use it as a primary machine.

Hilarity.

It is a museum piece.  It is a well-maintained, very rare for the condition it is in museum piece.  Seriously, what shall we discuss next?  Hm?  An original Model-A Ford coupe?  Oh my god, no iPod jack?  No GPS?  Oh and the emissions!  Terrible!  Why I can't even put unleaded gas in it!  What an awful contraption!
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline Megamig

• Show only replies by Megamig
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 09:01:07 AM »
What a jerk.. For that price I would expect the floppy problem fixed (surely there are floppy disk technicians) and free postage if I lived in the US/Canada

Some people believe they can get rich selling any piece of crap. But I guess it is cheaper than this Mac prototype

http://mashable.com/2012/04/17/apple-mac-prototype-ebay/#59529Prototype-Apple-Macintosh-128
Too many A500s
2x A1200 (3.1 DKB Cobra inc. Ferret)
A2000 HD

Offline Haranguer

• Show only replies by Haranguer
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 11:24:14 AM »
@B00tDisk

The high price of the Amiga is an indication of it's rarity, more than anything else.

From that, you can assume that the Apple Lisa is rarer still.

Recently an Apple 1 was sold for much more than that - that's because it's even rarer that a Lisa.

If I had the money to spare, I'd happily buy that Lisa - it's value can only go up.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 11:29:09 AM »
There are collectors out there that have driven the price up.  They buy it and put it in their collection.  It ruins the market for the rest of us.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline orange

• Show only replies by orange
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2012, 01:09:07 PM »
Quote from: Oldsmobile_Mike;690198
.. (also Mac users are probably more crazy, but I'll leave that statement up for debate, lol)

they don't even come close to Amiga worshipers, for a reason :)
Better sorry than worry.

Offline darkage

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2012, 08:16:39 AM »
Quote from: orange;690308
they don't even come close to Amiga worshipers, for a reason :)

Yep definitely Amiga worshipers take the cake!! (or pie!) on a higher order of nuttyness :)  especially when commenting on CUSA threads...  ouch!

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2012, 11:43:05 AM »
I notice no ones bought this piece of crap yet.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline darkage

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2012, 02:45:35 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;691218
I notice no ones bought this piece of crap yet.

ha! thanks for bringing the thread back on topic.. hmmm lets see, home deposit or umm Lisa.. yes the choice is very clear..  :-/

Offline Tripitaka

• Show only replies by Tripitaka
    • http://acidapple.com
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2012, 04:37:46 PM »
Quote from: darkage;691230
ha! thanks for bringing the thread back on topic.. hmmm lets see, home deposit or umm Lisa.. yes the choice is very clear..  :-/

Damn right!
Falling into a dark and red rage.