Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Current uses for Video Toaster / Flyer  (Read 3354 times)

Description:

Offline SACC-guy

Re: Current uses for Video Toaster / Flyer
« on: July 24, 2015, 08:17:56 PM »
Quote from: Gulliver;793057
The Video Toaster was outstanding gear back in the days of analog video. Today is just a doorstop or museum piece at best.

The Flyer was never good enough for professional work. It had a custom video format (VTASC) that compressed video in a non standard manner. Under high compression, it did not made the signal pixelated like we are used to, but instead generated video noise. It was always an expensive and clumsy setup involving too many drives and cables. There were much better professional and semiprofessional Amiga based NLE solutions back then (BroadCaster Elite and VlabMotion/DraCo which could do both PAL & NTSC). Anyway, the Flyer sales were always riding on the back of Video Toaster studios wanting to upgrade their setups to digital video.

Today, I would say that beyond collecting them, there is little use. Maybe the Video Toaster  could find some use as a teleprompter, but then it was so crippled by design: it is NTSC only and requires its inputs to be passed thru a TBC. You are better of with a simple genlock for this.
I think he dost protest too much...

This was the same "complaints" we heard back in the day.

There are several ways and places to use ntsc and toaster/flyer stuff.
The most common is in small site training tapes and systems that have lots of older vcr's and no cash to upgrade to HD.
Besides, any video from any source can be added to the web and inserted into other video projects.
Not to mention special interest one offs. (yes like wedding with very small budgets)

I know of several folks that made lots. Just were too busy to report to amiga types.
They preferred to work. Still do!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 08:25:03 PM by SACC-guy »

Offline SACC-guy

Re: Current uses for Video Toaster / Flyer
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 09:25:06 PM »
Quote from: Duce;793063
In a world where people can take HD and 4k video on their cell phones and import it directly into a PC via SD card for processing, I don't see a lot of people going through the effort of noodling around with an Amiga from 20 years ago, combined with a low rent camcorder for wedding videos or training videos.

The "no money to upgrade to HD" is a bit of a cop out in a world where pretty much everything is HD.  Any $150 TV off the shelf of a BestBuy is HD.  HD's been around in a public capacity since 1998, after all.
@ duce

There are and always have been those with less...

The "amiga made it possible" to do good things.

BTW, in my experience...broadcast was and could be anything that was wanted by those who paid for it. i.e. I have even added 8mm video into paid for projects.

Think not about the lasted and greatest, but the project!!!

Ever seen Ken Burns still images (from the civil war) inserted in PBS broadcast shows?
How about old timey pictures in sfi-fi movies. How about Andy Warhold "Live" slides from the first roll out of the amiga (boy that cost/made lots of cash)