Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: RetroGeekComputers.com Anyone had dealings with it?  (Read 11399 times)

Description:

Offline DropcheckTopic starter

• Show all replies
RetroGeekComputers.com Anyone had dealings with it?
« on: April 01, 2008, 03:41:07 PM »

Hi

I'm trying to find out about a repair shop run by Hans George Campbell(aka The DoomMaster) in Oregon.  I found his website RetrogeekComputers.com where he proposes to fix Amiga computers. You pay $40 + parts and pay shipping both ways and he supposedly fixs them.  So being the trusting sole that I am (I know, that may have been my first mistake), I sent him a broken A2000 motherboard.  

UPS tracking put the package in his hands on March 11th.  On March 17th I emailed him requesting a update on the progress.  He responded quickly and reported that he had removed the cpu socket and soldered the cpu to the board directly. (Not a authorized action, despite the increased reliability he claimed) He also said that he had R & R the hybrid video chip but hadn't checked yet to see if everything checked.  He advised that he hoped to ship back to me that Friday, March 21st.

I have not heard from him since despite sending three emails in the last 2 weeks.  UPS tracking does not show he has sent the package.  I realize that he's probably doing this as a second job or catch as catch can, but surely it doesn't take that much time to fire off a status update.

Anybody else had any dealings with him?  :-?
If I can\\\'t drop it and fix it, then it wasn\\\'t broken to begin with.  It just needed power applied.   :quickdraw:

• Show all replies
Re: RetroGeekComputers.com Anyone had dealings with it?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 12:59:43 PM »

Well,

I wasn't trying for a joke.  I guess from what I've heard the jokes on me though.  Do you think reporting him to the local authorities/BBB would have any effect?  Maybe there's a 'News9 on your side' type local television news option.  

He didn't get me too badly, just a broken A2000 motherboard.  It's the principle though.   :madashell:
If I can\\\'t drop it and fix it, then it wasn\\\'t broken to begin with.  It just needed power applied.   :quickdraw:

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 12:15:53 AM »
The nerve of some people:

I created a throwaway email address and sent an email to him talking about a 2000 that would only boot intermittantly.  Asked him if he could take a look at it.  Within 24hrs he answered. Sure, no problem.  $40.00 Gave me his 'business address', a residential street in Beaverton Or according to MapQuest.  

Won't answer the last three emails I've sent him in the last two weeks.  Not bouncing back.  He just is ignoring them.  :madashell:

• Show all replies
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 09:54:26 PM »
Update: Got the motherboard back!   :-o

Finally got a reply to my emails.  Had the nerve to tell me he didn't want to send it back to me until he had fixed it since that was what I had paid for.  Told me what he planned to do next.  Same story he had told me two weeks before.  He hadn't done anything with it in two weeks.  Guess he had more important things to do like work on his music career.    :roflmao:

I wrote back and said he had until the end of the week to fix it.  After a whole month if he hadn't fixed it by then he wasn't going to especially if he wasn't going to even work on it.  Of course he didn't send it back then, had to send an second email in caps.  (I don't like yelling, hurts the fingers.)

Finally got it in from UPS the other day.  It looks like the one I sent.  Like he said the cpu is soldered directly to the motherboard.  What kind of freakin' repair standard is that?  No indication if he fixed it.  Guess I hurt his feelings yelling at him.  :roll:

Thanks everyone for the mental support.  Live and learn!

Anyway.... now I'm back to square one. One broke 2000 motherboard.   :shrug: