Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Don't let ANYONE tell you that Amiga's can't make quality music!  (Read 1788 times)

Description:

Offline MethuselasTopic starter

• Show only replies by Methuselas
Don't let ANYONE tell you that Amiga's can't make quality music!
« on: November 07, 2003, 08:21:24 PM »
I found this on a bunch of Amiga floppies I still have. I ripped it using OctaMEDSS and converted it to MP3.

All of this was recorded, produced, programmed and performed on Amiga, using my old A1200 and OctaMED Sound Studio. Sorry about the muddy sound, but they're 8bit samples.  :-(

Ambient sounds created by using datatypes, devices and other goodies found on your local amiga.

Guitar wanking was done by Horde, former Amiga junkie.

I'd like to hear anything by other musicphiles here on Amiga.org that stil use their Amiga's for Music.

This was originally created for a flash cartoon I keep meaning to do. I didn't realize that I had this anymore. May clean it up using my Amithlon or OctaMED PC.

Lemme know if it's crap.  ;-)

Lameshit
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
Re: Don't let ANYONE tell you that Amiga's can't make quality music!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2003, 08:30:11 PM »
Sounds like game intro/title screen music.  Not bad.  Nothing I'd beat bop to in the car but still good.  
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2003, 08:36:26 PM »
I'd post a pic of the heroine of the cartoon, but I don't have any scans of her, apparently. I'll post one, as soon as I can find it. It was only to be used as background music for a 4 minute cartoon I was doing, but never finished the animations. I'm a stickler for using 24fps and that's alot of work for one person to do. :-?

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

Offline restore2003

• Show only replies by restore2003
    • http://www.contrazt.no/records.html
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2003, 08:38:05 PM »
Im not making music on Amiga anymore, but i wish to come back if ProStation works for me  :-)

Nice song btw  :-)
If you need music for games, demos or are in a need of a studio mastering engineer, just contact me :-)
Check out my project homepages: www.galaxee.no   www.restore.no

Offline elektro_fabius

• Show only replies by elektro_fabius
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2003, 09:02:34 PM »
Is not possible to make professional music with Amiga software.
Try with your Octamed to do the same things made with a professional sequencer as Cubase....

Offline Linchpin

• Show only replies by Linchpin
    • http://www.systemmedic.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2003, 09:05:17 PM »
I agree. Cubase or Cakewalk are far superior to octaMED.. Not for its day though. Can you imagine if it was still in production? #### man, it would rock.

/me studied music in uni :-)
Oh.. and i hate cubase.
WinUAE Only... OS3.9 with 512mb ZIII ram ;)

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2003, 09:30:29 PM »
OctaMED SoundStudio on two A1200 still does the Lion share of the work for the music that my Band prduces!!!

There are a couple of downloads on my site:
Tan-Hauser Gate (-Edit- Thats me on the left, looking fatter than ever before :-D )

Who said Megalosounds sucks? I think there is no better sampler :-)

Offline elektro_fabius

• Show only replies by elektro_fabius
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2003, 09:49:33 PM »
yes Octamed is nice....
I'm a musician,i work with computer music and i NEVER see octamed in a professional studio;only PC or MAC running Cubase,Sonar or Logic.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2003, 09:54:05 PM »

elektro_fabius wrote:
yes Octamed is nice....
I'm a musician,i work with computer music and i NEVER see octamed in a professional studio;only PC or MAC running Cubase,Sonar or Logic.

when my Band went into the studio, they had an Atari ST running Cubase... So I took my A1200 in with me... It turned out that both of the studio engineers had A1200's and we had the machine up and running in no time :-D

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2003, 10:13:00 PM »
@Elektro

I use Logic 5 on my PC, but that still doesn't mean that I can't make quality music on my Amiga. Ladytron did an entire song off 604 on Amigas, but the majority of their work was done on Macs.

If Soundstudio2 has AHI support, it wouldn't take much to make music similar to a 'professional studio'.

That MOD was written 3 years ago, before I had ever used Logic. If you were to use good quality sound samples, which I did not, you could make a good song using OctaMED.

Consequently, most of the new music released on the radio and by the record companies is redundant, guitar wanking-emo crap. No need for technology as superior as Cubase, Logic or even OctaMED, since it doesn't take a computer to strum a power chord on a guitar.  :-D

And for the record, of course all you see is PCs and MACs in the studio. When's the last time Amiga had ANY sort of professional support in the music industry?!? Sure my song sounded muddy. I was using mostly 8 bit samples at 8khz. Why don't YOU make a song with all your powerful 'software', using only 8 bit samples at 8khz and try and tell me that it's NOT as equally as sh!tty as mine.  ;-)

Better yet, why don't you pull out that dusty old amiga you've got there and put your money where your mouth is....

Do something better.

:idea:

Offline that_punk_guy

• Show only replies by that_punk_guy
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2003, 10:18:04 PM »

elektro_fabius wrote:
yes Octamed is nice....

Proof that there's always room for snobbery in music :-(

@Methuselas

That's pretty cool. More guitars! ;-)

@bloodline

Posted by Susan Mcdrae on October 22, 2003 at 12:21:53:

Bin listing to the stuff babe and I really think its wicked! I presume ( from the old website) you're the mastermind Matt, So just wanted to get straight to the point I'm 5' 7'' Brunette and absolutely stunning - if I do say so myself :) So if you wanna hook up just post a response to this message and I'll give you my number - By the way I am in the London area - are you? See ya baby ... ps you're so cute...x

:lol: How come you get groupies? No fair!  :-D

Offline Linchpin

• Show only replies by Linchpin
    • http://www.systemmedic.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2003, 10:21:18 PM »
Are we talking quality as in sample quality or quality of the actual song? Lets be honest here, Using cubase as a digital HDD recorder you cant go far wrong, admittedly you dont get the "analog" out of it, but the things you can do with it are amazing. (Yes its cheating and Yes i prefer real to real or ADAT / DAT recording but for useablitlity cubase wins hands down). I also acknowlege the fact that its not using "samples" as such, more using .wav files and loops etc, but its a different league alltogether. OctaMED rocks all the same, but unfortunatley i dont have any use for it ATM... most of my compositions and band sessions are recorded on cubase VXT simply for ease of use. (Im Lazy)...

Dammit! I think im going to go home and fire up octaMED. You buggers!

Cheers

Kev
WinUAE Only... OS3.9 with 512mb ZIII ram ;)

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2003, 10:22:54 PM »
How come you get groupies? No fair!  

Perhaps you're not as fat as me :-D

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2003, 10:22:59 PM »
Proof that there's always room for snobbery in music

I couldn't agree more, Chris.  :-P

As for the guitars, yeah, I would have, but I ran out of tracks. I was pushing it using 12 and the drum loops were samples of 12 tracks on one. I might play with again on my Amithlon. OctaMED is a DREAM if you use Puh Baer to push the paula sound through the sound card.

Still, I'm waiting for OctaMEDSS to get AHI support. The PC version is nice as hell, though. 16 bit samples make it sound SO much sweeter. It's just not the same, though. ;-)

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2003, 10:28:09 PM »
16 bit samples make it sound SO much sweeter. It's just not the same, though.  

Leave 16bit for mastering (if you don't use 24bit), the coolest sounds come from 8bit (but only via native Amiga Audio), so I use that where ever possible, even on vocals (only after comression though :-) )