Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pegasos running native OS4 apps?  (Read 9899 times)

Description:

Offline Hooligan_DCS

• Show only replies by Hooligan_DCS
Re: Pegasos running native OS4 apps?
« Reply #134 from previous page: October 14, 2003, 12:40:52 PM »

Hondo_DK wrote:
Remember that before you laugh at them........they did something very very very good for the Amiga situation.

You must be joking now? :-)

Show some respect please.......no matter how foolish they've made them selves look.

There is nothing AI could do to regain the respect back. Nothing.

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #135 on: October 14, 2003, 12:51:26 PM »
Guys, take a step back, you've ventured straight into the usual rut of Peg vs. A1, and the usual helpings of corporate slating.  Consider that everyone has heard all of this before and try to think up something original and interesting to say.

Offline Argo

• Show only replies by Argo
« Reply #136 on: October 14, 2003, 01:11:59 PM »
Okay, We've ventured way off topic but it was going better good there for awhile. I'm going to lock the thread before it goes off the deep end.  Feel free to spin off in to a new topic(s) from this one.  Just try to stay on topic and civil.

Offline Swoop

• Show only replies by Swoop
« Reply #137 on: October 14, 2003, 01:19:21 PM »
@ BHogget

You keep saying I never raised any issues despite me spelling it out twice already. Here it is a third time: why should the hardware manufacturer or the vendor bear any burden of responsibility for software issues when it is Hyperion who write the OS and the drivers, get paid for that, AND get paid a licensing fee as well? Shouldn't the hardware manufacturer have to deal with hardware faults only, without having the extra burden of managing first line response regardless of the type of fault it is? After all, if I have a problem with Internet Explorer I don't ring nVidia to get it fixed do I?  
[/quote]

If you re-read Rogues reply, he is agreeing with you.
The hardware vendor is the first line (of hardware) support, and if the problem is not hardware, then Hyperion are responsible for the software support.

BTW you may not own a MAC machine or run MAC osX, but if you own a Wintel PC, you will find a proportion of the price you paid is for an OS License.
Why should you treat Hyperion any different to bill gates. As a company, if it is not potentially profitable for Hyperion to port the OS why should they bother.
I am sure you would be the first to shout if for every revision of the OS you had to have another version of each and every program you had purchased. (i.e. Win95/98/milenium/2000/XP etc.)

As far as drivers are concerned, in the Wintel world, the hardware manufacturer is responsible for providing their own drivers, whether there is a certification fee paid to MS, I dont know, but I doubt that until there is a sufficient market, those same manufacturers will write drivers for OS4. Hence the necessity to restrict the hardware spec required for 0S4.

Essentially it seems this thread is about the same thing from two different angles. Hyperion, quite rightly, want some sort of recompense for their hard work, and it would seem the people on this thread are prepared to pay for the use of OS4. The argument (sorry discussion), is about whether this is through licensing fees for the OS, or certification fees for the drivers.

I am sure the Pegasus/Mos developers are not working for nothing, and I for one, dont expect Hyperion, or Eyetech to either.

Peter Swallow.

Offline Seehund

• Show only replies by Seehund
    • http://AmigaPOP.8bit.co.uk/
« Reply #138 on: October 14, 2003, 01:23:33 PM »

Rassilon wrote:

This is what Fleecy just posted over on AW.net

*giggle*

our legal department

Mouahahaha

[snip irrelevant drivel on why not selling AmigaOS is the only way to sell AmigaOS]

For example someone can't sign a contract for putting AmigaDE on a handheld and then demand that it means we also agree to put it onto any device they chose, whether it be an electric toothbrush or a custom vector core super computer.

A formal approach for an AmigaDE port would first of all require that the Tao-Group support the host, either in HW or SW deployment mode. It would then require that the device actually be available and selling in numbers that provide a business opportunity.

In that case, perhaps AInc should not have entered a license agreement with Thendic and signed a contract which does not include and even directly contradicts what Fleecy says here...

As it happens, they licensed "AmigaDE" (together with "Any and Other Amiga Marks that Amiga has the rights to") for e.g. a bloody "smart chip reader"!

And now Fleecy indirectly compares a Pegasos motherboard to a toothbrush? He has publicly and repeatedly said that AmigaDE will be included in/with AmigaOS. I think "it's on amiga.com" as well. ;) AmigaOS will run on e.g. computers built on Teron mobos.

Now it's up to the court to decide whether AInc is "unreasonably withholding consent to expand the list of Thendic Products", as their contract says.

My personal thoughts: If AmigaDE is announced by AInc to be ported to AmigaOS and run on a Teron PPC mobo, as well as on things like a Thendic "chip reader", is it then unreasonable of Thendic/Genesi to expect a license for the AmigaOS API compatible MorphOS (or Linux, which AACE/whatever already runs on) plus another PPC mobo, the Pegasos?

I bet the already licensed chip reader has more in common with that toothbrush than it has with a Teron/Pegasos... ;)

But, all that is about AmigaDE, so why should anyone care? Well, I think it's interesting because it's also about the right to use the main AInc "product"; the "Amiga" trademark.

The judge will judge. :)

A formal approach for the AmigaOS would first of all require that the product be a PPC platform. It would then require that the device actually be available and selling in numbers that provide a business opportunity.

Heh, just like the early evaluation Teron CX motherboards then, when they were sold as "AmigaOne G3SE's"? :D Oh, wait. The Teron CX is no longer in production - after how many were sold? Oh, hold on, that "AmigaOne Lite" mobo has not even left prototyping stage yet.

Maybe this is why a shrinkwrapped AmigaOS won't be sold for Macs. They're not available and not selling in numbers, compared to real heavyweights and great opportunities on the market like the discontinued Teron CX. :P

AmigaOS4.0 is not a shrinkwrapped product. It is sold with a motherboard only, and thus comes with a system.
[...]
Only a madman would engage in business activity to make a loss.

Those two statements in succession... Well, he said it best himself.

[snip #### about new fleecian acronyms and talk about future AmigaOS4 revisions, with which AInc has nothing to do other than killing them off]

As for the AmigaOne, AmigaOne is an exclusive trademark which belongs to Eyetech Ltd. They are the only ones who can manufacture and sell a product called the AmigaOne. They can sell these products on to dealers who can then sell AmigaOnes.

WHOA!

I guess he said more than he intended to just now.

The "AmigaOne" trademark belongs to what's supposed to be yet-another-third-party-hardware-licensee?

In other words, whatever hardware this... ahem... licensee could find, they have the right to slap their own "AmigaOne" label on it?

Ooooh, precious "strict certification procedure", "quality assurance testing" and OS4 compatibility tests by AInc... Preeeecioussss.... :P

There is no "certification". Just like everyone with open eyes could have seen for the last two years ("we haven't seen an 'AmigaOne' yet" - Bill McEwen), only now it is in writing by Fleecy.

This is the final, definitive comment on AmigaDE and AmigaOS4.0 concerning third parties and OEMs having it ported to their hardware.

From Fleecy in online fora, or from AInc in general?

In the latter case, AmigaOS is finally, definitively dead.

Anyway, thanks Rassilon for the cross post. It's always hilarious to read whatever Fleecy can come up with. At the same time it's a bloody tragedy when considering the effects.
[color=0000FF]Maybe it\\\'s still possible to [/color]save AmigaOS [color=0000FF][/size][/color]  :rtfm:......