Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More Micro AmigaOnes Coming  (Read 5919 times)

Description:

Offline Mikey_CTopic starter

• Show only replies by Mikey_C
Re: More Micro AmigaOne's Coming!!
« Reply #29 from previous page: June 10, 2005, 10:24:20 AM »
faleamiga

But as BBRV has already said in another thread on Amiga.org, they don't need to get Hyperion to port OS4 to the Pegasos, it's done already. Which, because it's already ported, means that asking Hyperion to get a license from Amiga Inc to port OS4  to the Pegasos, is pointless

QED.
YNWA!

Offline falemagn

• Show only replies by falemagn
    • http://www.aros.org/
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2005, 10:32:45 AM »
Would you explain to me why you keep calling me "faleamiga"?

But as BBRV has already said in another thread on Amiga.org, they don't need to get Hyperion to port OS4 to the Pegasos, it's done already. Which, because it's already ported, means that asking Hyperion to get a license from Amiga Inc to port OS4 to the Pegasos, is pointless

Hyperion may have ported AOS4 to a microwave owen,  yet they'd not be able to sell/distribute it unless they got a license or otherwise got in a deal with someone who got a license. Or so they say.

You started this off by saying that AOS4 doesn't run/is not available on the Peg, that's why I said ask Hyperion to get a license.

It was a tongue-in-cheek comment.

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2005, 10:37:07 AM »
falemagn (third time lucky)

Hyperion have not ported OS4 to the Pegasos. Period Full Stop. Writing OS4 for the AmigaOne is a full time job as it is.
YNWA!

Offline falemagn

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2005, 10:43:51 AM »

Hyperion have not ported OS4 to the Pegasos. Period Full Stop. Writing OS4 for the AmigaOne is a full time job as it is.

I couldn't care less where AOS4 runs, unless it runs on commodity HW I'm never going to buy it. However, from their point of view, it would make sense to target the widest possible potential customer base. Sticking with the AONE, considering that other productions of it aren't likely to be made, is a dead end.

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2005, 10:47:37 AM »
falemagn

That's your opinion, not Alan's As I understand it, yes, things aren't good at the moment, but where you get the notion that more AmigaOnes will not be made is beyond me.

Since you don't have any intention of buying an AmigaOne or running OS4, why are you bothering?

Mikey C
YNWA!

Offline falemagn

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2005, 10:53:34 AM »

That's your opinion, not Alan's As I understand it, yes, things aren't good at the moment, but where you get the notion that more AmigaOnes will not be made is beyond me.

I'm sure you read the interview, right?

There won't be other productions of existing designs unless there's demand - there's no demand if the hardware keeps being the crappy hardware it is.

There will not be new designs - the hardware will keep being crappy.

All in all, even if they produced and sold 1000, 2000 AONE's more, that would just delay the death of the platform for a bit longer, it wouldn't certainly save it.

Yes, you can bet these are my opinions, but I dare you show they're baseless :-)

Since you don't have any intention of buying an AmigaOne or running OS4, why are you bothering?

Because I'm interested in the topic nonetheless.

Oh, did I say "because I can"? :-)

Offline Velcro_SP

• Show only replies by Velcro_SP
    • http://linux.tc3net.com/daclmi/
Re: More Micro AmigaOnes Coming
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2005, 11:05:43 AM »
Okay I admit, I used a bit of Poetic License. "Short time" To me (Amiga wise) a short time is around a month or so. Now, admittedly, it could take longer. But I read what Alan had posted and to me, it seemed positive that the delivery of the CPU's would not be much longer. If you want to take what he said as meaning they'll be shipping sometime around Christmas, that's your problem

@Mikey_C:

No, he didn't say anything about Christmas either. I'm not going to read any date into what the man said. Going by the sum of what he said though, it doesn't seem like it'll be soon to me. Where's he going to get the money to finish paying the board maker? Where is the board maker going to get the CPUs when IBM doesn't want to sell them at the cheap rate? Didn't Alan just remark that Eyetech would have financially done better to avoid the whole A1 project altogether and gift each A1 owner with $500 instead? "In fact as it stands today it would have been far cheaper for us to have given all current board owners $500 each not to buy a board and walked away from the whole Amiga scene in early 2001." So he is supposed to stick his neck out again to get this new batch on the way soon? Where's the money going to come from?

Anyhow, I don't know if it will be soon or not. I leave that to Eyetech to announce if the boards are on the way and it will be soon. But I definitely don't think headlines should be crafted to put out this "A1s coming" "short time" stuff when Eyetech has just identified some real issues that have to be overcome. I think people who don't examine the 20 questions and details too closely are going to get a wrong idea from this kind of headline and blurb, and surely you don't want that, to lead them on and keep them hanging or something.

As for poetic license... Bill McEwen and Fleecy Moss used poetic license. I suppose "on schedule and rockin'" was a little poetic license. Bill Buck also managed to tick people off with poetic license about "no Mai without April." I think we could use a little less poetic license and a little more factualness.

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2005, 11:14:37 AM »
There will be new designs of that I am sure. :-)

The hardware isn't crappy, my Micro A1 is brill, everything works on it as it should :-)

Sure there a couple of OS issues still needing to be addressed, but then, unlike the version of OS4 that Genesi have for the Pegasos, it's not finished yet.

Also, Previous to having the Micro AmigaOne, My A1200T had been my main computer since 1993. So, if I have to use the Micro A1 for the next 4-5 years, it isn't any hardship to me.
As I said in my Micro AmigaOne review, OS4 (pre release) runs very fast indeed, and DMA hasn't even been enabled yet!

Nice bit of Kit to be honest.

As to your reason for posting on this thread, it's plainly obvious to everyone, that you have ulterior motives. Still as you say, it's your right to say what you want, and I defend your right to say it, even if I don't agree with it.
YNWA!

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2005, 11:17:28 AM »
@Hobbyist

With Regards to payment of the board, I will quote in it's entirity what Alan said on the matter on Amigaworld.net.

Another misinterpretaion I'm afraid.

We are not 'saving up to pay the rest' as you are tring to imply. We paid the majority up front several months ago and pay the balance on delivery, as that gave us the best prices by taking the financing of the component costs (and the manufacturing set up costs) away from the manufacturer.

But with a (very) sustantial six-figure sum paid over to them several months ago we are clearly doing everything possible to expedite the delivery of the boards.

You are completely correct on one point - they won't get built until we receive the cpus.

Alan

Original Source
http://amigaworld.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=2346&start=0#26490

Mikey C
YNWA!

Offline falemagn

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2005, 11:27:40 AM »

There will be new designs of that I am sure.

Alan stated that's not the case. I dunno if you know more than Alan does, or if Alan just lied then.

The hardware isn't crappy, my Micro A1 is brill, everything works on it as it should

I consider "crappy" hardware any hardware that is blatantly overpriced for what it offers and/or has issues.

As to your reason for posting on this thread, it's plainly obvious to everyone, that you have ulterior motives.

Please, do state which motives would those be. I'm eager for a laughter ;-)

Offline EntilZha

• Show only replies by EntilZha
    • http://www.hyperion-entertainment.com
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2005, 11:33:42 AM »
@ thread

One-time post. Don't bother following up on this, or starting to "discuss" it. I'm repeating (for the umpteenth time) the conditions for a Pegasos 2 port, and that's the last and only thing I say in this thread:

What:

- First thing to do: Ask Amiga, Inc for a license.
- Second thing to do: Clear up the modalities of the porting process with Hyperion.

(If you're nice, you'll notify Hyperion before going for step one).

Who:

- Anybody, not necessarily the board manufacturer

I hope that clears it up. Please note that before anybody screams "Why should somebody spent money on this": Nobody said anybody would need to spent money on this. How and now much money will flow in what direction is up for discussion *of the involved parties*. Rogue once posted a rough calculation of how much a port would cost, but that's just an estimation, and who will actually pay that depends on the modalities worked out in step 2.

I heard a lot of nonsense like "The license will cost $ X0000" and such stuff. No, it doesn't. Fact is, nobody of you here knows how much it will cost, or if it will cost anything at all.

And no, we have not ported OS4 to the Pegasos (yet).

Thanks for listening. We now return to the regular program
- Thomas

« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2005, 11:34:53 AM »

I consider "crappy" hardware any hardware that is blatantly overpriced for what it offers and/or has issues.

Again, that's your opinion, Since you don't actually own one of the machines, it is obviously based on hearsay, rather than facts.

Ask the majority of Micro AmigaOne owners and they will say they are happy with their purchases.
Yes, I will conceed that the hardware is expensive. But at least they are not unrealistic prices, considering the fact that the boards are not sold at a loss and have a price factor which allows dealers to eat and support their customers.

Please, do state which motives would those be. I'm eager for a laughter

We have been down this route many times elsewhere, not gonna start on that one again.
YNWA!

Offline falemagn

« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2005, 11:44:37 AM »

- First thing to do: Ask Amiga, Inc for a license.
[...]
Who:
- Anybody, not necessarily the board manufacturer

You do confirm, then, that it could be you the one who could ask for such a license?

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2005, 11:50:00 AM »
Whilst technically, they *could* ask Amiga Inc for a license, I don't think they mean They are going to.
YNWA!

Offline falemagn

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2005, 11:50:21 AM »

Again, that's your opinion, Since you don't actually own one of the machines, it is obviously based on hearsay, rather than facts.

Ever crossed your mind that I do not own an Aone for the aforementioned reasons? It's overpriced, if it costed around $200 (no more) I would consider it. I don't consider AOS4 an enough good reason to spend so much money on such outdated hardware.

Those seem pretty hard facts to me, I certainly do not need to buy an Aone to know how much does it cost, and which problems it has, right?

Ask the majority of Micro AmigaOne owners and they will say they are happy with their purchases.
Yes, I will conceed that the hardware is expensive. But at least they are not unrealistic prices, considering the fact that the boards are not sold at a loss and have a price factor which allows dealers to eat and support their customers.

There's another board which could run AOS4, namely the peg, which is way more cost effective than the AmigaONE and has no hardware issues of any sort. It can even run an unpatched linux, go figure! :-) And it's not sold at a loss, for all we know.

No, I wouldn't buy a pegasos either, but I'm sure it would be certainly more attractive than the Aone.

We have been down this route many times elsewhere, not gonna start on that one again.

You never stated which motives would mine be, you only ever claimed I have those "ulterior motives". If you really think those motives exist, then enumerate them, or else just avoid making accusations you can't prove.

Offline falemagn

« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2005, 11:53:20 AM »

Whilst technically, they *could* ask Amiga Inc for a license, I don't think they mean They are going to.

That appears clear to me. Considering that porting AOS4 to the peg would certainly increase sales on the desktop, either they think such increase in sales wouldn't cover the development and license costs (which however shouldn't be that big, considering the amount of work needed - as an example, AROS was ported to ppc in less than 100 man hours) or they're not interested in the desktop market.