Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Debian Sarge users please help me!  (Read 790 times)

Description:

Offline LemontyTopic starter

Debian Sarge users please help me!
« on: February 13, 2006, 08:24:39 PM »
Hi there!

I am a Linux newbie and I wish to install the latest Debian 3.1r1 Sarge linux OS on a Cyberstorm PPC system but I keep running into problems.

I am using the following boot string:
BootStrap  --apus -k dh1:linuxapus/Kernels/vmlinux -r dh1:linuxapus/RAMDisks/initrd.gz --keep-video nobats root=/dev/ram video=virge:800x600-166

I use the GUI 'linux (apus) launcher' by Duncan Gibb to launch the bootstrap loader. When I configure the launcher to boot with the kernel that is on the Sarge CD and the initrd.gz ramdisk I get the message 'unable to allocate memory' which suggests that the kernel is too large. Has anybody out there managed to successfully install Sarge on their CSPPC system? What bootstring do you use? And which additional files?
I have read many FAQs but they all expect me to have successfully passed this first hurdle.

Alternatively, could someone point me in the direction of a beginners guide to install Debian on APUS? The main APUS site seems to not have been updated in quite some time and the Debian site is still too confusing for a newbie like me.

I am using an A4000/PPC@180/MC68K@060 with CVision3D, MultiFaceIII and Toccata and UWSCSI/4.3GB/DVD-RW(LITE-ON) on IDE-SCSI Bridge by Acard.

Help is greatly appreciated. Linux looks like what I have been looking for to upgrade to a 'modern' OS if only...
Respect My Authority!