Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Will you be buying an AmigaOne X1000 ?  (Read 29137 times)

Description:

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
Re: Will you be buying an AmigaOne X1000 ?
« on: September 30, 2010, 04:21:51 AM »
While I appreciate the efforts and money the people behind the X1000 have invested, and wish them well (hopefully they dont lose money on it), I just cant fathom spending that sort of money on a machine that gives me nothing practical over my 2 year old core2duo AROS machine(@3.86ghz) (which cost me about 1/4 of the price even back then). Even performance wise the single core that is currently active in my AROS box would most likely outperform a PA6T with both cores active, not to mention the vastly superior (also ageing) graphics card in my AROS box (gf9600GT)..... while all 3 "NG" systems (mos/aros/os4) have advantages over each other, the practical benefits to the end user are minimal at best,.... it's the experience Im after, not the name and as such I just cant bring myself to spend that sort of money on hardware that offers me nothing (and is in fact inferior) over what can be bought now for about 1/6th of the price.

Now that the diplomacy is out of the way:
What, are you kidding me ? No freaking way  :P
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show all replies
Re: Will you be buying an AmigaOne X1000 ?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 04:50:19 AM »
Quote from: persia;582151
@Franko

But again, not everyone buys your narrow definition of what an Amiga is.  UAE is a marvellous way of maintaining an Amiga without having to deal with all the problems of 15 to 20 year old hardware.  It's also capable of running an order of magnitude or more faster than any physical Amiga every made.  There's never been a Steve Jobs to carry the vision forward.  Throughout it's history it's been dragged through scandal, scam and dirty dealing in a manner that more resembles a soap opera than a computer history.

We live in 2010, almost 2011.  It's fair to compare anything that we see that may carry the name Amiga in all or part of it's name to things that we can buy in 2010/11.  I can go out, plunk down US$200 and get a 10 inch Android tablet that will emulate a Classic Amiga beautifully and has more power than a SAM.

I came into the Amiga 25 years ago because it was better than anything on the market and price comparable to MS Windows clones.  It was cutting edge, bleeding edge really.  That bleeding edge is no longer possible in the Amiga world, and likely never will be, so the only way to unify the desire for an Amiga and the desire to be on the bleeding edge is to run UAE on a high end Mac or PC....

It's not just UAE performance on modern systems though, it's the fact that ppc macs and x86 pc's are *native* targets for modern "amiga" systems in MOS and AROS, so the value for money thing very much applies. It's not that Im anti OS4, given the money I'd like an OS4 system as well, but if it wasnt for the lightning fast amiga experience I get for a small amount of money from AROS, I'd probably be using MOS for my "NG" amiga system, as it represents the next best value for money. I can only assume (hope) that X1000 is aimed at the small numbers of OS4 users that want the best available platform for thier OS as there's just no market in a machine that while fast enough to give a nice experience for most day to day stuff, is still pretty underwhelming in comparison to what else is around for a fraction of the price. If OS4 stood out amongst the other "NG" amiga systems I'd possibly reconsider the X1000, but all 3 (aros/mos/os4) have a similar software base and for every advantage one has the others have thier own. Im just not willing to shell out that sort of money for a similar amiga experience I get elsewhere a lot cheaper. Each to htier own though.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.