Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New PS3/Nintendo Wii, gaming in general  (Read 3507 times)

Description:

Offline Tomas

• Show all replies
Re: New PS3/Nintendo Wii, gaming in general
« on: November 17, 2006, 08:37:06 AM »
Surely with all that power we should have lifelike graphics and killer sound.

Or is this a case of where the hardware is ahead of the programmers ability to use them to their full potential?

But what is really so killed about the GFX capabilities of the PS3? The gfx card of the PS3 is basically a gf7 card, which the pc has had access to for ages. PC has now actually gotten the next generation geforce cards, so i think the ps3 graphics will soon lag behind pc just like the previous sony console.
Consoles have lagged behind the pc since the playstation 1 days, which was in my opinion one if not the last console that was ahead.

Offline Tomas

• Show all replies
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 03:47:07 PM »
Wii is the only console that interest me. The reason is innovation which both the PS3 and Xbox 360 lack. I prefer playability over shiny graphics, which is why i still play some good old classics these days.
I will still wait and see from the sideline before buying it though, as it has yet to be seen if this new controller works in real life.

Offline Tomas

• Show all replies
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 05:16:40 PM »
The laser pickup assembly, motor trasport, power suply transformer quality and digital prossing all play factors in how good the quality is.

I dont see how that should make any of a difference when it comes to compressed video formats. The decoder chips and output is what really counts. The laser does not matter much as long as it manages to read a disc without errors. With digital formats you either have picture or you dont.. It will simply drop frames or pixels if the laser is so bad that it so bad that it cannot read the disc properly.

The ps2 was mainly a horrible dvd player due to the sucky output.. The default output was only composite!!

The laser matters more when it comes to reading scratchy discs and so on.