Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PCMCIA CARD AND BOOT DISK PROBLEMS- WORKBENCH 3.0  (Read 5888 times)

Description:

Offline Thomas

Re: PCMCIA CARD AND BOOT DISK PROBLEMS- WORKBENCH 3.0
« on: January 13, 2021, 01:00:31 PM »
What probably is not going to work without Kickstart 3.1 is the Datatypes, that is, the sytem to internally convert file formats so the Amiga can read them easily.

That's not true. Datatypes were introduced with 3.0.

For instance, loading a GIF file on Deluxe Paint.

DPaint does not use datatypes, it cannot load GIF files in any case.

The following users thanked this post: Pat the Cat

Offline Thomas

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 02:27:18 PM »

What made me cautious is that not all datatypes are Kickstart 3.0 friendly, for instance;-

Yes, but picture.datatype V43 is not part of 3.1, either. It is available seperately with RTG software like CyberGraphics or Picasso96. Its functionality was incorporated into the OS with 3.5 (= V44).

Offline Thomas

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 11:29:12 AM »

Oh come on! Don't tell such misleading rubbish!!!

You can have large harddrives with Kick 1.3 if you use the right software.

compactflash.device and fat95 are the right software to use 16 GB and even larger drives on Kick >= 2.0.

Offline Thomas

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 03:53:30 PM »
I am not sure what you think who you are. I remember you describing that you left the Amiga scene long ago and returned only recently. Since you returned you try to give advice to other users. But many if not all of your posts give a feeling that you never had an in-depth knowledge about the inner workings of AmigaOS and surely you missed all the developments which were made while you were off. You talk in headlines like "Kick 3.1 cannot access partitions larger than 2GB". This sentence is cut out of its context and by itself plain wrong. You never explain why you think that certain circumstances would explain the symptoms. Like in this case you just assume that a 2GB limit (which does not exist) could be the cause of the problem. But if a partition size limit would be a problem, the symptoms would be different. Also you do not investigate the problem systematically, you rather start at the wrong end and tell the user to destroy the product he bought as in working condition. He paid money for it and you tell him to destroy it.

The user has all the software he needs
compactflash.device
fat95
cf0

It's a matter of copying each file to the right place on the Workbench disk. If it still does not work, there are ways to find out more before you start destructive actions. Yes, I agree it is difficult if you cannot get additional software from the internet. But there are some possible things to do.

For example the PrepCard utility should display the vendor and product names of the CF card. If it doesn't, the card is not plugged in correctly.

I am not sure but I think HDToolbox should show the size of the card regardless of its partitioning and format. If this does not work, it's worthless to continue.

If all that works we can check if the needed files are indeed in their required locations. "CF0 is already mounted" is a good start. But it only means that AmigaDOS knows the name CF0. It does not mean that it found all the required files.

In a shell window if you try to access CF0:, the error message should give more clues.

I am writing this from memory, but I think if you access CF0: and nothing happens, it means that FAT95 was not found in L:. If it says "invalid whole number" or so, then FAT95 was found but it could not access compactflash.device. If the message is "no disk in drive" it might be that the card is not plugged in correctly. Only if the message is "not a DOS disk", only then I would perhaps agree that there is something wrong with the contents of the CF card (partitioning, format). But if it works on the PC's card reader, it's unlikely.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 03:54:15 PM by Thomas »

Offline Thomas

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 05:18:52 PM »
... file system handler cannot access partitions over 4 gb without upgrading scsi.device.

That's not true.

Firstly partition size does not matter at all. The 4GB limit applies to the entire drive. Partitions are only limited to the drive size (and maybe by the file system structure).

Secondly if you use compactflash.device, scsi.device is out of scope. It's not used and cannot limit anything.

You posted a link to the 4GB FAQ on EAB. Why don't you read it yourself?

Offline Thomas

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 08:13:40 PM »

That's the best example. You quote sentences of the readmes and then immediately prove that you didn't even read or understand them.

You don't investigate properly. You don't even try to understand what the technical cause for certain limits is. And you ignore the fact that there are ways to bypass these limits.

And you generalise too much. If you cannot do it, nobody can do it.

It's written in your own quotes:

should read disks up to 4G
It says disks, not partitions.

(more with direct SCSI option)
You just ignored that.

up to 4 GBytes of partition size for FAT16
You ignored FAT16. This limit is a limit of FAT, not of AmigaOS. As the CF card is larger than 4GB it cannot be formatted with FAT16. So this limit does not apply.

large harddisk support
You ignored that.

via TD64 or direct SCSI
You obviously don't know what that is, otherwise you wouldn't ignore the previous part.