Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A4000 system soon on eBay!  (Read 3293 times)

Description:

Offline Crumb

• Show all replies
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
Re: A4000 system soon on eBay!
« on: August 01, 2007, 06:32:28 PM »
@eslapion

about overclocking custom chips... I know two hardware hackers in Spain who did that. One with his A4000 (He was "bacterio" the guy who used to exchange the GAL/PAL to make IDE go faster, up to 5MB/s. Also the one who made the 64MB hack for A4000) and the second one is a very friend of mine who overclocked his A2000 Denise chip to get 31Khz screenmodes. He says that demos usually hang but that WB worked perfectly. I think he ran some of the custom chips at normal frequency to avoid problems but still wasn't perfect.

about 8MB of chip... it's impossible without new custom chips.
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)

Offline Crumb

• Show all replies
    • http://cuaz.sourceforge.net
Re: A4000 system soon on eBay!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 07:39:22 PM »
LOL, it's 64MB of slow a4000 motherboard "FAST ram" and it's achieved reprogramming some GALs, cuting traces and passing wires. I know an user with that trick. The guy who made that hacks left the amiga scene 6-7 years ago. He worked as technical repair service for cbm and asked David Haynie the sources of various GALs. He reprogrammed the IDE port to make it faster on old A4000 motherboards (I heard newer ones changed from GALs to PALs so the code probably would be useless). I know 2 people with the IDE hack. With a CS MKII 060 the standard IDE transfers around 5MB/s.

Please notice that these hacks involved de-soldering the old GAL and soldering the new one so it was not so easy. He did the hack at some spanish parties. The memory hack was more complex and required that you sent him the motherboard. Unfortunately I doubt I still have his phone number.
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)