Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: APOLLO 68080 is now HYPER-THREADING enabled  (Read 13237 times)

Description:

Offline ferrellslTopic starter

Re: APOLLO 68080 is now HYPER-THREADING enabled
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 05:49:38 PM »
Quote from: B00tDisk;827447
This is hilarious.

That's no more hilarious than having multi-core PPC CPU's to run OS4.  How many years ago has it been that OS4 users were promised SMP?  Roughly 10 years if my memory serves me correctly.  AROS x86 has made great strides of late as far as SMP goes, so I expect hyper-threading support to make its way into the 68K version soon.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 06:23:16 PM by ferrellsl »

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 07:33:18 PM »
Quote from: kolla;827450
Hmm, quite sure it was the Raspberry Pi 3 with its quad core that ignited the SMP work in AROS, so not x86, but ARM. Anyways, the AROS developers have said quite explicitly that there will not be any SMP support for AROS/m68k. So, how this hyperthreading will be utilized by Amiga products is not easy to guess.

Also, the news is that Apollo Core will have hyperthreading, not that the core running on Vampires will have it - those are two separate products, remember? The Amiga vampire platform is merely guinea pigs for the real product, which is the Apollo core.

It doesn't matter what ignited it.  But of late, the progress with AROS SMP has been with the x86_64 version which I test on a regular basis and it works quite well.

Clearly Gunnar's announcement implies that the Vampire will support hyper-threading since the Vampire uses the Apollo core and not some other core.

But all of this remains to be seen.  At least there are some interesting things going on with regard to 68K development.

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 04:43:18 PM »
Quote from: kolla;827574
It uses a dedicated subset of the Apollo Core, specialized for the Vampire V2 cards. Just like Phoenix was an even smaller subset, for the V1. Or else there would be an FPU (which the full core has), and binary compatibility with ColdFire and whatever else the "full" core offers.

How many times have we been told to not mix what the Apollo Core offers with what the Vampire offers? And still people talk of them as they were one and the same? Why is that?

I'm not confusing anything.  Maybe you should actually go and read Gunnar's posts about how hyper-threading will be used in the Vampire instead of speculating about it in a vacuum.  The only one here who seems to be confusing things is you.  I even put the link to his comments in my first post but you seem to be too obstinate to even check it out.