Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Commodore USA's Final Challenge to the Community  (Read 26036 times)

Description:

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
Re: Commodore USA's Final Challenge to the Community
« Reply #299 from previous page: January 28, 2012, 04:29:08 PM »
Quote from: Tripitaka;677900
Plenty of Amigans have got burnt hands from things like "vouchers", so I agree with Darrin. It's a pretty big thing to ask cash in advance. That requires trust.

Yep, I still have my Amiga $50 coupon (well, I don't actually have the physical coupon, but I did eventually get the t-shirt), so paying in advance (especially when you have a company noted for posting fake manufacturing photographs) doesn't really appeal to me.

The last couple of "large" Amiga hardware purchases I made were the Chameleon64 and the FPGA Arcade, both of which were paid for when the product was ready to ship.  I've pre-ordered a X1000, but I haven't even had to pay a deposit on that even though it is several grand.  It seems to me that certain people in the Amiga community are resourceful enough to design and manufacture hardware on limited resources without having to put their hands in other people's pockets.  However, we have another company which is supposed to have millions in advertising budgets alone than seems to have to vision, no focus (no manufacturing of its own?) and wants us to raid the piggy-bank before it even heads to the drawing board?  Something just doesn't seem right.

Plus, assuming I stood up and said that I'd collect the down payments for the agreed hardware then how exactly would that work?  Due to fluctuating exchange rates we would need to collect the agreed amount in a single currency (say Dollars) so everyone outside of the US would also need to pay an exchange fee.  Then, what happens if the project is cancelled or people ask for refunds?  Who pays the additional reverse exchange fee to send the money back?  I bet it won't be C-USA.  What if you get 500 orders, but by the time of delivery 100 people drop out.  Do the remaining 400 have to pay the additional amount owed by the 100 who left, or will the person holding the money be responsible?  Considering the timeline for designing and building new hardware (and not just taking a x86 mobo off the shelf or rebadging someone else's PC and putting a C-USA sticker on it) I can easily 10 of the 500 pre-payers dying of old age before they receive anything!
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
Re: Commodore USA's Final Challenge to the Community
« Reply #300 on: January 28, 2012, 04:29:50 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;673752
Exactly, or more specifically, they only own the "OS4 additions" to Amiga OS, and that Amiga OS *is still owned* by Amiga Inc, and without it there can be no OS4! So again – Hyperion *did not* win anything, they *don't* own Amiga OS, and they *are not* independent of Amiga Inc.

While I agree with your signature (MOS is AmigaOS done right, or done better) this is quite untrue.

Hyperion is independent company from Amiga Inc. and always was. There are no OS 4 additions, but as you know since the recompile and lot of changes, it is considered to be a new version of OS. So yes, Amiga Inc owns AmigaOS 3.1 and Hyperion owns OS 4.1. When we take away emulation purposes, Hyperion owns AmigaOS as something to be developed.

AmigaOS 3.1 was not developed by AmigaInc they just own it as asset of transfers, so there is no direct relevance here either.

Hyperion got a settlement, where AmigaOS belongs to them and Amiga name can be rented (licenced) by Amiga Inc. Direct result of the second is CUSA, which owns its Amiga line existance and Commodore Amiga forum to Amiga Inc licence (in this terms CUSA Amiga line is dependent on Amiga Inc licence) but as we see Amiga Inc will sell the name unlimitedly (as with ICoin).
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja