Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Hyperion and Cloanto allegedly close to finalizing settlement"  (Read 37193 times)

Description:

Offline Louis Dias

So if opensource Linux makes sense because it's on x86/64 why doesn't AROS?  Where are those contributions?

Offline Louis Dias

Re: "Hyperion and Cloanto allegedly close to finalizing settlement"
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 07:27:10 PM »
Thanks Dr. M. Shutlz!

AROS is miles ahead (while not necessarily optimized) of OS 3.x and 4
Thor seems to think Owning OS 4.X licensing and marketing rights means you own 3.X … hence to court battle.

All Cloanto has done is keep Amiga alive by selling legal ROMs and paying for improvements to those ROMs and other system files over time.  Hence the 3.X OS designation...as in 3.10 because X=10 because it's an improvement over 3.9.

All Hyperion has done is keep the platform down in litigation and not pay developers.

I think someone has "battered abuser syndrome".
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 07:27:47 PM by Louis Dias »

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 06:00:22 AM »
Why call it 3.X then?  Why not 3.10?  Seems they were ahead of the naming convention game even before OS X from Apple...

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 06:54:51 PM »

How dare you go on topic!

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 06:17:03 PM »
If Thomas had used Cloanto as a publisher of 3.1.4 instead of Hyperion, he
1) would have got paid
2) the 'lawuit(s)' would only be about distributing 1.3

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 09:08:31 PM »
Why would I need original source code to replace a buggy file?
As long as the header is available, I could re-implement the library without original sources if I was familiar enough with it's functionality...
Reverse-engineering is a thing.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 09:12:35 PM by Louis Dias »

The following users thanked this post: alexscotti

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 09:45:01 PM »
The lawsuits are about getting rid of Hyperion once and for all, and just about everyone are in on it.
Please explain.
To me, it's about the rightful control of 3.X.  Cloanto is willing to honor Hyperion's OS4 rights ... just no one gives a crap about PPC...which is why they started publishing 3.x stuff..which is not wrong - however - calling it their own was wrong.  Including 1.3 was also wrong.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 09:45:53 PM by Louis Dias »

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2020, 02:56:40 PM »
my work is wasted. Thank you so much for that.
I'm not sure why you didn't just package it as a patch for 3.1...it was the whole "here's the entire OS 'we' own it" thing that caused the uproar.  There were Boing Bags for 3.5 and 3.9 ... somehow I doubt you need a license to release those.

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2020, 05:37:39 PM »
So screwing up the Os 3.1.4 release with dubious “shrink wrap” license, wrongly phrased copyright statements, a kickstart directory with “emulators” in its name, a premature and broken shell, and plenty of OS 3.1 components that had not been touched since 3.1 and hence are not derived work, but the actual work, of intellectual property owned by Cloanto... was our fault? Or even Cloanto’s fault?

Is it our fault that you decide that anyone who ever speak against you, is a troll?
You are a troll, kolla, exactly for statements like the above. If you don't see that, I cannot help it. You "forgot" what 3.1.4 brought, an extended intuition, a fixed and faster graphics, a considerably faster layers, fixes in scsi and exec, a more or less new printer.device, a new CD file system, a new crossdos, a new workbench, a HD Toolbox that works for large devices, and a file system that handles big partitions without rebooting, and a "couple" of things I forgot. All of that does not matter to you. You just pick out what you did not like, and where you can *blame* someone.

That, exactly that, makes you a troll.

Not people making mistakes. That is normal. Not fixing problems - that is a problem. Oh, by the way: If there were more components touched, there were more chances to make mistakes. With a small team, you can only touch so and so many things. It is important to keep the work focussed. Exactly not what happens in the open source world.
You are clearly very talented.  WE need this.
It is my understanding that it is not illegal to take AROS sources and derive from them and repackage them for a paid product.  From what I understand about AROS68k, you can interchange files with AmigaOS.  I would "sell" AROS 68K specific enhancements that might co-incidentally work on 3.1...heck you could compile them for multiple AROS architectures and profit some more.
Also, regarding Kolla...  I think you are looking at him the wrong way.  He is the ultimate quality control department...and he works for FREE!  I would send him all your beta files for testing before anyone else.

I'm a professional coder.  However - I am not good at breaking my own code.  The company I work for has a QA department for this.
Make kolla your QA department...for free of course.   :)

I mean everyone hates their QA/QC department.  :P   ...but we need them...
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 05:41:24 PM by Louis Dias »

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2020, 01:52:07 AM »
the whole "here's the entire OS 'we' own it" thing that caused the uproar. 

Uproar? Uproar? The only uproar I have noticed (CAN NOT AVOID) are the three or four Hyperion-haters in this thread. Over and over and over again.

and again.

At this point I can no longer see whatever point they are trying to make except they hate Hyperion and Thomas (who said himself he didn't want to be a Hyperion employee or contractor or anything, that is why the contributions he made were free. )

Sigh - and now I have done what I told myself I wouldn't. I know it is a complete waste of time to try to teach others courtesy or how to have civil conversation.

Have at it.
Actually - until this case - I was pro Hyperion.  It's just when you see patterns...read the leaked transcripts from meetings...  Eventually a picture starts to form and things become clear.  Everyone is free to choose a side.  Me - I want progress...preferably multi-core and perhaps ported natively to the RPi platform.  I had hope for the Vampire but the clowns running that poop-show couldn't understand why I say you'd need a dedicated 3D chip to do 3d and that doing it all in the CPU was the same hubris those fools who made the CELL processor had.  That an all-cpu-based Amiga is not really an Amiga - it's a DRACO.

NOW over a year later, the master-chief is finally coming to the conclusion that his wunder-cpu can't actually do it all AT THE SAME TIME.  Finally the light bulb went on over his head that he'd need a dedicated chip to handle the gazillions of vector math operations required to do 3D any justice.

...but apparently he deemed that I didn't know what I was talking about and how dare I allude to the hubris behind his cpu and got banned...
...I also asked for an enhance AKIKO as a way to offload this work.  The master-chief told me it was a useless chip.
18 months later what do we have?
http://apollo-core.com/knowledge.php?b=5&note=28256&z=eG_Ga7
The master-chief singing AKIKO's praises...he's even using it to speed up c2p conversion of icons for displaying on SAGA.  Now ain't that something from a stupid idea about a useless chip...?
What the f*ck do I know?  I'm a troll.  Trolls should be banned.

Yep - that's the state of the Amiga 'community'.  People don't know how to take constructive criticism.  Every casual comment you type online gets blown up to 50 on a scale of 10.  That's why face-to-face meetings are important.  So words don't get skewed and intentions misrepresented.  This is why people still have gatherings and events.  Have a drink together.

This is why I think THOR is taking KOLLA the wrong way.  I say use his skills as quality control not as an insult.  Work with him instead of get mad at him.
It's a radical concept I guess...

@thor
All I can say THOR is - don't be like Gunnar.  Take criticism as the constructive type.  Are you coding to please yourself and have everyone sing your praises or are you coding for the sake of us users?  Users are your customers.  Their voice matters.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 02:18:49 AM by Louis Dias »

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2020, 02:30:09 PM »
So... You Amiga users... Bullying the guy who is making the new Amiga OS  :o

On top of that (if I understood right) he is doing it for very little or no money. And you attack him for this too.

I can't but stratch my head. As a user i don't care if Cloanto, Hyperion or Nintendo releases a new AmigaOS as long as I can enjoy it.

This stuff makes me think AROS is the only way forward.
Exactly...and anyone can repackage it and fork it and sell it.  If Dr. M. Shultz offered a RPi4 AROS pre-installed - I'd buy it instantly.

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2020, 01:45:31 PM »
An update about how Hyperion's American legal team quit?

https://twitter.com/amigadocuments/status/1239789197575192576

Is that the kind of update you were looking for?

Offline Louis Dias

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2020, 09:32:16 PM »
At this point I'm more worried about how the world's freedom has completely disappeared than what Hyperion is doing...