Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is AROS the future of the Amiga?  (Read 4332 times)

Description:

Offline Dan

• Show only replies by Dan
Re: Is AROS the future of the Amiga?
« Reply #44 from previous page: February 11, 2005, 09:41:39 AM »
The best thing about AROS for me is that x86 means cheap access to small formfactors. Like this
533Mhz Geode @1W PC/104
or this
http://www.ampro.com/html/coremodule_800.html
or this:
http://www.laptopsinc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=P1120CTO&Category_Code=PS2

or regular laptops.

µA1-I, MicroAmigaOne-Industrial. Well thats a nice dream but mini-itx is waaay to big. Hell even PC/104 is to big for many uses in industry.
It´s the same with Pegasos.

Apple did it right the first time, bring back the Newton!

Offline chiark

• Show only replies by chiark
    • http://www.chiark.com
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2005, 10:59:46 AM »
Excellent thread this, with some wonderful debate.

I downloaded the bootable AROS last week and ran it.  Apart from my mouse not working, I was genuinely stunned at what has been achieved so far.

I have yet to see OS4, and really would like to.  If there's anyone in the Yorkshire region of England, give me a shout please :-) .

AROS is a great start, and with a lot of thought I do see it moving forward.  In particular, I'd like to see the stuff that has already been mentioned in order to bring it up to speed in the modern OS world - memory protection in particular would be a hot topic for me.  

When I get spare time, I will be looking to see how I can help with AROS.  At the moment, I can't afford/justify spending out on OS4, and that saddens me :-(

Celebrating 21... no, make that 27... years of Amiga use

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2005, 11:44:13 AM »

chiark wrote:
Excellent thread this, with some wonderful debate.

I downloaded the bootable AROS last week and ran it.  Apart from my mouse not working, I was genuinely stunned at what has been achieved so far.

Can you give more details about your set up?

Offline chiark

• Show only replies by chiark
    • http://www.chiark.com
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2005, 12:04:41 PM »
Sure - it's a Dell Latitude C640.  It's docked and using a PS/2 Microsoft mouse (old one).  The mouse, as soon as its used, skits the pointer right to tbe bottom of the screen and refuses to move.  Using the keyboard shortcuts gets around the problem :-)

If I can help, email me - chiark@gmail.com :-D

Sorry for off topic :-)
Celebrating 21... no, make that 27... years of Amiga use

Offline amigean

• Show only replies by amigean
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2005, 12:48:42 PM »
we can all hope for development in MOS to continue..

we can all hope the same for AOS4...

...but as many of us sense (or should I say, 'fear'), the dramatic reality of the matter is that the long term sustainability of a platform in general or operating system in particular, is determined by market forces .

Speculating and comparing OSs feature-wise is all very good (and entertaining!) but it tell us very little about which one will survive in the medium-term and spread to a greater user base.

If you want to do more than wishful thinking and desire to genuinely understand and (to a small extent) be able to make informed guesses with a reasonable chance of getting it right then you may want to see what the experts have to say.

There are people who have done more than just speculate: they have observed, measured, modelled and drawn conclusions from the spread of past technologies (be they OSs, specific IT products, or even biomedical innovations) and are in a position to talk with some confidence about which technology succeeds and which one is doomed to failure. They have looked into market forces, the technology's characteristics down to individual user preferences and have compiled lists of 'determinants' of success.

I would not dare try to explain the concept in the few lines of this post but to give an idea of the potency of such insights, here are the most fundamental ones as mentioned by such people as Everett Rogers:

-the technology's relative advantage
-the technology's cost
-the competitive pressure
-compatibility
-complementarity
-observability
-trialability

I guess this puts into perspective why microsoft has dominated the market. Your final prediction depends a lot on your estimates of these determinants but broadly IMHO, I expect AROS to be around the longest and have, by far (that should be in capitals, FAR), the biggest user base - however always falling short of going mainstream, say to the extent that linux has.

It is a hobby OS and it has the potential to make a great many of us, very, very happy in our everyday computing and even allow us to do serious work on it but don't expect it (even in the best case scenario) to have a much greater appeal than your average linux distro.

As far as AOS4, MOS are concerned, ironically IMHO MOS still has greater potential to spread more broadly - eventually even 'fusing' with AROS. This boils down to price and the number of existing adopters and developers. I will be extremely surprised to see AOS4 developed commercially in three years from now, but who knows, weirder things have happened! I certainly hope so! :-)

p.s.
Look out at amazon for Rogers (2003), "The Diffusion of Innovations"

Offline Holley

• Show only replies by Holley
    • http://www.Front-Runners.net
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2005, 11:59:23 AM »
Chiark - try running it while not docked - AROS works fine on a Synaptics touchpad.  If that fails it can be run under the QEmu PC emulator without problems ;-)

Amigean - I think you're over-analizing there, within the Amiga market everything /should/ have disappeared a long time ago if going by regular industry indicators.  It's like it's the odd one out, that doesn't play by the rules.

As for AROS and MOS fusing, that will never happen, however elements of AROS have appeared in AmigaOS and elements of MOS (namely Ambient) have been realeased under the GPL so they could be ported as add-ons to AROS.  The main reason for more integration not happenning is mostly to do with licensing issues as AROS is under the APL, and most other stuff is under the GPL (more restrictive).
\\"Sex, drugs and rock n\\\' roll are very good for you\\" - Ian Dury

Offline HopperJF

• Show only replies by HopperJF
    • http://www.michael-powell.blogspot.com
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2005, 12:57:25 PM »
I really like the look of AROS and how things are coming along, but I would prefer it if they made a PPC version that could run on PPC Macs & Amigas.

I mean if AROS DOES turn out to be the future, and for one reason or another AmigaOS development goes belly up, what are all the PPC Amiga owners going to do with there machines if they want a more up-to-date OS? Not all of them will want to cling onto OS 4 beta forever, or OS 3.x. I think AROS on PPC would be a nice idea.  :-)
Religion is for people who believe in hell.
Spirituality is for people who have been there.

« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2005, 01:29:58 PM »
what are all the PPC Amiga owners going to do with there machines if they want a more up-to-date OS?

Get off their arses and port the source to PPC maybe? ;-)

Offline Holley

• Show only replies by Holley
    • http://www.Front-Runners.net
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2005, 04:01:31 PM »
There was work done for Classic Amiga, but it peterred out.  I'm sure if the need arose it wouldn't be a huge job to get it working on PPC hardware (at least not if enough people were interested - it's not like porting all of Linux or anything!).
\\"Sex, drugs and rock n\\\' roll are very good for you\\" - Ian Dury

Offline falemagn

• Show only replies by falemagn
    • http://www.aros.org/
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2005, 04:31:56 PM »

As for AROS and MOS fusing, that will never happen,

Actually, it already has: MOS is based on large parts from AROS, and some of that code has found its way back into AROS, debugged and enhanced. And sometime a bit more buggy than it was before ;-)

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2005, 05:04:27 PM »
by HopperJF on 2005/2/12 7:57:25

I really like the look of AROS and how things are coming along, but I would prefer it if they made a PPC version that could run on PPC Macs & Amigas.

A step in the direction has been started again, TeamAROS has an active Bounty #15, AROS hosted on OS-X.

Dammy
TeamAROS
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline Cymric

• Show only replies by Cymric
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2005, 11:27:11 PM »
@amigean:

Excellent post. One point of view which I have never seen appear in these discussions before.
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.