Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: It isn't ironic  (Read 1821 times)

Description:

Offline CyberusTopic starter

• Show only replies by Cyberus
It isn't ironic
« on: March 21, 2004, 06:27:49 PM »
How long ago was it that Alanis Morissette's 'Jagged Little Pill' graced our radio stations, the album charts, and of course out hearts?
Oh, how I loved her sweet voice! Her insightful lyrics! Her choice of subject matter! Her lyrics are pure poetry, her voice pure and dulcet like that of the Sirens!

{bleep}ing annoying {bleep}ing woman and her {bleep}ing whiney, moany, whingey banshee strangled cat singing, and terrible bloody lyrics. Especially that song entitled, 'Ironic'. Grrrrrrr!
"Isn't it ironic?"
NO IT ISN'T you bleeding moron! You have absolutely no concept of what irony is! And yet you managed to compose a whole frigging song around the theme of irony!
This has annoyed me for years and years, it isn't often I hate an artist, but I'd cut out her tongue if I ever encountered her, but I'd have to use a spoon, as all I need is a knife, yet I have 10000 spoons. Oh! The Irony!

And people bought it!
In fact, her album sold millions. :-(

Anywaym despite the fact that she still annoys me intensely, something has made me a little happier - and hence what prompted me to post all of this :roll:

Look HERE
I like Amigas

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
Re: It isn't ironic
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2004, 07:45:48 PM »
Agreed.

Quote :  "It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife"

That's not ironic. That's just feckin' annoying! It would be ironic if you later discovered you needed a spoon to stir your tea with, having just spent half an hour looking for a knife in a big pile of spoons...

-edit-

Anyway, "It's like..." isn't an irony, it's a similie ;-)

-/edit-

Of course its a double joke - as you suggest, the real irony is that she didn't know what irony was when writing the song...
int p; // A

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2004, 08:53:34 PM »
Well, Tol Hansse did wrote and sang a song called: 'Hi ha neutronenbom'
wich means a bit like: hey ho neutron bomb

the text was

hi ha neutronenbom

je huis blijft staan maar jij valt om
(your home is still intact but you are not)

ook de meubels blijven heel,
(also the furniture stays intact)

mensen hebben we toch teveel
(humans, we got too much of them anyway)

It is a song wich expresses "I don't care, I could not care less" (as an understatement)
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2004, 09:43:39 PM »
That album is one of my favourites, certainly the best she's done (though her other albums IMO aren't good at all).

One of the few albums IMO where every song on it is good.

Personally I couldn't care less that Ironic doesn't define irony properly, just like the lyrics to Fake Plastic Trees hardly reflect the kind of feeling listening to the song gives me (and most people I imagine).

Some songs I take particular note of the lyrics, but only if they deserve that extra attention (either because they're particularly good or because they ruin the song utterly).  Music to me is all the instruments and the voice added together (preferably in equal amounts, which is I guess why I like RHCP - Blood Sugar Sex Magic).

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 01:42:31 PM »
If something irritates you, you draw on everything available in order to attack it. I hate Alanis Morisette, therefore the fact that she sang a terrible song about irony (and as Karlos points out, the irony is that she doesn't once give an account of irony!) just gives me more bullets to fire. :-)
I like Amigas

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2004, 02:24:53 PM »
I guess "Coincidence" isn't as good a name for a song :-D

I think I hate about Alanis Morreste is the fact that she has a horrible voice.. Kevin Smith (the genuis that he is) cast her in a role where she would have to be mute, since the sound of her voice would destroy mortals (At least Kevin knows the meaning or Irony :lol: ).

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2004, 04:02:46 PM »
I think I hate about Alanis Morreste is the fact that she has a horrible voice..

I don't think she has a horrible voice.  Sometimes she doesn't control it properly, particularly in concert she's like a cat being strangled.  Listen to the album, I think there are enough examples on there of her singing well.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2004, 04:11:34 PM »

mikeymike wrote:
I think I hate about Alanis Morreste is the fact that she has a horrible voice..

I don't think she has a horrible voice.  Sometimes she doesn't control it properly, particularly in concert she's like a cat being strangled.  Listen to the album, I think there are enough examples on there of her singing well.

I know she can sing, I've seen videos of her singing pop tunes... She was good it bland.

It seems she has actaully aimed for that "1000 anrgy cats being strangled slowly" sound.

/me likes a nice Dave Gahan Baritone :-)

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2004, 08:27:50 PM »

bloodline wrote:

It seems she has actaully aimed for that "1000 anrgy cats being strangled slowly" sound.

Heh, true. But surely that honour goes to that bird out of the Cranberries - in fact you can hear her being throttled on that song: "Zo-o-mbie, Zo-o-mbie, Zo-aw-o-aw-o-aw-o-aw-(choke, gag)-o-aw-ombie....."

Now a female singer who I would go as far as saying I like, still annoys me when she gets that banshee sound - Dido. Her songs are nice until she starts her caterwailing (sp?).
I like Amigas

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2004, 09:14:18 PM »

Cyberus wrote:

bloodline wrote:

Heh, true. But surely that honour goes to that bird out of the Cranberries - in fact you can hear her being throttled on that song: "Zo-o-mbie, Zo-o-mbie, Zo-aw-o-aw-o-aw-o-aw-(choke, gag)-o-aw-ombie....."

Now a female singer who I would go as far as saying I like, still annoys me when she gets that banshee sound - Dido. Her songs are nice until she starts her caterwailing (sp?).

Please!!! I had managed to forget that... now I got Zo-o-mbie, Zo-o-mbie, Zo-aw-o-aw-o-aw-o-aw-(choke, gag)-o-aw-ombie..... stuck in my head... :-(

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2004, 06:11:06 PM »
It isn't ironic

I keep on noticing this sentence, and I only can full heartily agree with this :lol:. I also keep on thinking alike this when I hear such a song :lol:
Bah, Cyberus, you have to live here in the Netherlands :lol: you thought this was bad? You obviously never heard monsters like 'Marco Borsato' ouch no aahnooh the pain! the pain! or 'Frans Bauer' aaaaaaaarrgh torture it is! :roflmao:  

/me is enjoying my execration
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline PMC

• Show only replies by PMC
    • http://www.b3ta.com
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2004, 11:16:36 AM »

{bleep}ing annoying {bleep}ing woman and her {bleep}ing whiney, moany, whingey banshee strangled cat singing, and terrible bloody lyrics. Especially that song entitled, 'Ironic'. Grrrrrrr!

Couldn't agree more... That song really did my head in when it was released.  No disrespect to Alanis, but "Ironic" got on my pecs royally.
Cecilia for President

Offline Mike_Amiga

• Show only replies by Mike_Amiga
    • http://www.mp3.com.au/forefinger
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2004, 02:16:48 AM »
I believe some Irish comedian came up with similar point in his routine a good few years ago.

paraphrased quote from said comedian:

"A lot of people don't Alanis Morissette used to be a man... yeah, that's right, Alan Morris."

Well the first time I heard that I laughed my head off, but I noticed that guy has repeated his routine almost to death, either that or I just happened to catch a lot of repeats of his act.
AKA ED-209 on IRC...

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2004, 11:20:02 PM »

Mike_Amiga wrote:
I believe some Irish comedian came up with similar point in his routine a good few years ago.

paraphrased quote from said comedian:

"A lot of people don't Alanis Morissette used to be a man... yeah, that's right, Alan Morris."

Well the first time I heard that I laughed my head off, but I noticed that guy has repeated his routine almost to death, either that or I just happened to catch a lot of repeats of his act.

The guy is called IIRC Ed Byrne, I booked him once for a comedy club I used to run. He's very good.