Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How to transfer a smaller SD card/hard Drive to a bigger SD card/Hard Drive ?  (Read 1826 times)

Description:

Offline Dizzy33Topic starter

• Show all replies
Hello,

I have an A1200 with kickstart 3.2.2 on which I will receive soon a 8 Gb SD card which will act as a hard drive. This 8 Gb SD card will have a Workbench and games on it. I would like to transfer all the content (including Workbench) on a 32Gb SD card (with a 32Gb partition).
Is there a way to do this using WinUAE or with another method ?

Thanks

• Show all replies
Thanks a lot for your informations, but how to copy the small SD card to the big one ? I mean I would like to copy the Workbench and everything else on the new SD card. Is there a tool which would allow to do that ?
Is that something that HDTOOLBOX can do ?

• Show all replies
Thanks a lot, anyway I think with this method, I will be obliged to install the Workbench manually, because just copying all files will not work I guess, the new SD card will not be bootable.
I just found a solution : it seems that with Winimage we can clone an Amiga CF/SD card. This is what I am searching for. But the only thing is that I do not know what will happen if I clone a smaller SD card to a bigger one. I guess the bigger one will have the exact same partition as the original, so there will be free space on it. I will have to find a way to create 2 partitions : a small partition, and a big one, and to let the clone be done on the small partition.

• Show all replies
Thanks a lot to both of you, I'll try this method.

• Show all replies
To AndyFC, your backup tool seems great, I have one question :
it seems that you can do cloning with it, can you clone from one device to a larger one ?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 09:43:14 PM by Dizzy33 »

• Show all replies
Thanks to all of you. Now I just need to wait to receive my SD cards to try your solutions.

• Show all replies
AndyFC, I tried to transfer your script to my emulated A500 in WinUAE. I did a drag and drop of the file to the WinUAE window. The file then does appear in the Workbench, but it is shown as a directory, not a file. So it seems that my file transfer method to UAE does loose the real file attributes.
What is the best method to transfer a file to an emulated Amiga in WinUAE ?
Sorry for these noob questions ...

• Show all replies
Finally please forget my question, I figured out how to proceed.

• Show all replies
That's the same for WinUAE : you can create a Folder on Windows which will be considered as a disk on WinUAE, that way you can do file transfers with no corrupted data.

• Show all replies
HDToolBox makes me mad ... I cannot partition my SD Card with a high capacity.
I mounted my SD card in WinUAE as UAEHF, I have set the filesystem to UAEHF in the information of the HDToolBox info. When I start HDToolBox, I select my new hard disk (SD card), then when I go to change drive type, I do a read configuration, it shows me "-1009 Meg" ... I click on OK anyway, I go to partition, and I only can use 591 Meg. The rest is shown as empty, but if I try to extend the partition, it says "click wasn't in an empty area" ...
I am using Workbench 3.1 with kickstart 3.1, does anyone have a clue of what's wrong ?

• Show all replies
Thanks a lot. But I also tried with a 4GB SD card, and still the same issue. I will receive a 3.2.2 sdcard with kickstart etc ... I bought the whole package. So I give up with WinUAE and 3.1. I will wait to receive the 3.2.2 SD card, then I will let WinUAE boot on it (but I will have to backup my kickstart 3.2.2 ROMs) and copy all to the 32GB SD card. Thanks to all of you for your help.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 08:35:02 PM by Dizzy33 »

• Show all replies
To AndyFC, thanks a lot for your copy tool. It worked great to transfer the system partition from my old SD card to the new one. For information, I tried with DirOpus, but then the Amiga was not booting on the new system partition, your tool did better I do not know why.