Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How to transfer a smaller SD card/hard Drive to a bigger SD card/Hard Drive ?  (Read 1782 times)

Description:

Offline nbache

Re: How to transfer a smaller SD card/hard Drive to a bigger SD card/Hard Drive ?
« Reply #14 from previous page: December 19, 2023, 03:35:59 PM »
Well, somebody else might like the question answered.

What is the best method to transfer a file to an emulated Amiga in WinUAE ?
I usually use the Shared Folder. Windows sees it as C:\Users\Public\Documents\Amiga Files\Shared\Workbench - at least here. I'm using Amiga Forever, don't know if it's something specific for that or it's in all WinUAE installations. In the emulated Amiga it is seen as a "Shared" volume on WB.

Best regards,

Niels

Offline Dizzy33Topic starter

• Show only replies by Dizzy33
That's the same for WinUAE : you can create a Folder on Windows which will be considered as a disk on WinUAE, that way you can do file transfers with no corrupted data.

HDToolBox makes me mad ... I cannot partition my SD Card with a high capacity.
I mounted my SD card in WinUAE as UAEHF, I have set the filesystem to UAEHF in the information of the HDToolBox info. When I start HDToolBox, I select my new hard disk (SD card), then when I go to change drive type, I do a read configuration, it shows me "-1009 Meg" ... I click on OK anyway, I go to partition, and I only can use 591 Meg. The rest is shown as empty, but if I try to extend the partition, it says "click wasn't in an empty area" ...
I am using Workbench 3.1 with kickstart 3.1, does anyone have a clue of what's wrong ?

Offline Thomas

3.1 has a 4GB limit. Use 3.2.

Offline Boing-ball

3.1 has a 4GB limit. Use 3.2.

As Thomas a stipulated. The older Kickstart ROMs have an older version of something called scsi.device this can only allow for small partition sizes. From what you describe it won’t read the 32GB SD card? Therefore it would be better to use a higher ROM. But beware! What is the 8GB SD card you bought have in terms of workbench version? As the newer Kickstart ROMs had to remove (For space (512KB)) both the workbench.library and the icon.library. So if using a 3.2 ROM you need copies of those 2 libraries in the LIBS: folder.

Thanks a lot. But I also tried with a 4GB SD card, and still the same issue. I will receive a 3.2.2 sdcard with kickstart etc ... I bought the whole package. So I give up with WinUAE and 3.1. I will wait to receive the 3.2.2 SD card, then I will let WinUAE boot on it (but I will have to backup my kickstart 3.2.2 ROMs) and copy all to the 32GB SD card. Thanks to all of you for your help.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 08:35:02 PM by Dizzy33 »

To AndyFC, thanks a lot for your copy tool. It worked great to transfer the system partition from my old SD card to the new one. For information, I tried with DirOpus, but then the Amiga was not booting on the new system partition, your tool did better I do not know why.

Offline AndyFC

To AndyFC, thanks a lot for your copy tool. It worked great to transfer the system partition from my old SD card to the new one. For information, I tried with DirOpus, but then the Amiga was not booting on the new system partition, your tool did better I do not know why.

Thanks for letting me know that it came in useful for you. I'm pleased it addressed your need. 😀
A1200 in DIY Tower. 3.2 ROMs (softkicking 3.2.2), OS 3.2.2 with ClassicWB, CF card, CD RW and IDE to SD adapter running off the internal IDE port (using the A4000 4-port IDE adapter from Amigakit), Pistorm 32 lite with Pi4/2GB/Emu68 or Blizzard 1230-IV, with 32MB 60ns RAM and 50MHz 68882 FPU. 3COM PCMCIA Network card running with Miami DX.
MorphOS on PowerMac G5 and ATI 9600 pro