Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A1200 - Alternative to PCMCIA for internet  (Read 6068 times)

Description:

Offline Boing-ball

Re: A1200 - Alternative to PCMCIA for internet
« on: November 14, 2023, 09:24:21 AM »
I would try and stay away from plipbox. Have read elsewhere they can be problematic. Plus you need to power it externally as well, so more cables flapping around at the back to contend with.

Offline Boing-ball

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2023, 03:48:55 PM »
I have many plip box,they are slow, 32K/s on the good side if memory serves. I have never had any trouble with them,but i would go for the pcmcia adapter and a wired or wireless card..

vampire accelerator has ethernet but not a cheap solution.

I wouldn’t go wireless PCMCIA. More trouble than it’s worth, especially with the newer routers these days and added security requirements for wireless connection, which these aging adapters don’t have. Wired would be preferable.
Fingers crossed there will be a proper EMU68 wired network solution for the PiStorm and Pi which is much much cheaper than Vampire.

Offline Boing-ball

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2023, 08:00:08 PM »
They do, you can do firmware update to use WPA which works fine, if you have a fast enough processor.
Emu68 Wifi would be nice.
I tried Mushashi, standard hardware works, but picasso will not work no matter what I do. On Pi500, it all works fine. So must be a PS32-Lite thing.

That’s all well and good with WPA. But a lot of newer routers these days will give you a hard time with connecting. Plenty of documented incidents of these. This is due to higher security standards being put in place.

Offline Boing-ball

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2023, 01:52:33 PM »
Just buy a decent router. I took the plunge and never looked back.
My Nighthawk gaming router, allows merging of both signals, so no seperate SSID's and it auto detects and connects to correct wifi.
Wii and PSP was worst for router connection, I used to have to mess around to get them to connect. Now they just instantly connects with no issues (even though its pointless now). Yes, I still use my PSP's.

Sorry OP, dragging this off topic.

Which Nighthawk model are you using?

I don’t think you are dragging this off topic. As if the OP does want to go wireless then this is useful information to know 👍🏻

Offline Boing-ball

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2023, 01:28:01 AM »
Would an USB-to-Ethernet adapter work connected to a USB clockport board (RapidRoad, Subway)? The first are inexpensive, the second are more expensive and harder to find, but in return you get USB ports.

Saluditos,

Ferrán.

The RapidRoad is a bit unobtainable these days as Icomp don’t make or sell them anymore. Plus they were prone to going pop if you used the wrong power supply. The Subway I haven’t used. But again these rely on the Amigas Clockport which is slow. I tried to get USB to Ethernet working on my A1200 with a RapidRoad and it’s quite hard to do, even though Posiedon stack did see the adapter, you still need a NIC that uses the RTL chip.

Offline Boing-ball

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2024, 10:26:25 PM »
@sheepz

Just to throw this into the mix…

If you have a SCSI setup. Then there is now a way to do Wireless Networking with a BlueSCSI V2. I have obtained this with the necessary controller. When I get chance will see If I can get it to work with my B1260+MKIV SCSI or even my BPPC + SCSI setup.

Obviously the wifipi is now getting closer as well…